Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Land Between the Lakes TN / KY

Heavy_Metal_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone familiar with this recreation area, please advise me:

I'm beginning to plan a trip there. I see the regular RV accommodating CG's listed and also see dispersed / dry camping available, though the details of that are vague.

We use a large travel trailer and do like to dry to camp in the more secluded spots, when possible, but the info on-line makes it hard to tell if those spots are really just tent sites, or bigger. Looking for a site on shallow water good for kayaking / wildlife watching.

I'm also wondering about the season / weather : We would like to go in the spring, around March or April and I'm wondering how busy it will be, both in terms of people and wildlife, when things really start to green-up and not feel like winter in that area?

Thanks!
21 REPLIES 21

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Couldn't locate these pictures earlier, but yes, there are LOTs of buffalo and elk at LBL!

and Elk
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the KOA there last year for only 2 nights. What a gorgeous area! I think those with a boat would be most happy there.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at all of the non-dispersed campgrounds in the area in the past few years. Last visit was several days at Hillman Ferry, as we were planning a visit to Patties Resturant. It was during fall break at the schools, and it was packed withlots of kids having a lot of fun. We were in a rather tight area, up under the trees, with lots of other folks. Its is a very popular CG for the local, and in good weather always has lots of people, all having a lot of fun. Good restrooms and showers, and many play area for kids and adults.

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Dixiecamper
Explorer
Explorer
We camped at Hillman Ferry a couple of years ago. We loved the Land Between the Lakes area. We did check out some of the dispersed camping areas and saw many with travel trailers and fifth wheels. Some places were just fields and some were actual camping "slips". As mentioned before, you need a pass from the ranger station. Here is a link to my review of Hillman Ferry: Hillman Ferry
Read about the places we have camped (mostly in the Mid-South US):
We Would Rather Be Camping

Wardster
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer the dispersed camping at LBL, but I did stay at Hillman's Ferry one weekend with the family. If you decide to dry camp, then you will need to pick up an annual camping pass for the park for each adult in your camping party - I think it cost me $15 in 2015. Plenty of sites available for campers like yours that are away from the full/partial hook-up locations that are right on the water.
2016 Northern Lite 8'11" Q Classic Special Edition
2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 - Duramax/Allison

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We have been there twice and both times stayed at Canal Campground. This is a very nice campground with some sites righ th by the water. It is nice watching the barges go by.Some sites are water and electric while some have full hookups. They also have a swimming beach.

wsqr
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed there in travel trailer during August about 12 years ago. Don't remember the campground but non electric. The humidity was unreal and at dusk the biting bugs were ferocious, impossible to sit outside and almost unbearable inside without ac.

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were there in October 2016. Camped in a 30' 5th wheel. Sites at each camp ground were very easy to access. Stayed at Piney on the south end and Hillman on the north end. Piney had nice level sites, we had water and electric, but had to dump at the dump station. Loved Piney and will go back again. The shower houses were very clean, well maintained and up to date.
Hillman was very nice also. Level sites with water and electric. I know the Handicapped sites were full hookup. I think there were full hookup sites but not available when we booked. The shower houses were out of date and certainly not as good as Piney. The age of them I'm sure made them harder to keep clean.
We really enjoyed the week + we spent there and found plenty to do while we were there and can't wait to go back. The rangers at both places were great. Very friendly, pleasant to talk to and gave us info of places to go and sites to see.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoyB wrote:
I believe they have Buffalo and Elk roaming free over the whole complex at Land Between The Lakes... Got to steer clear of those or get rammed haha... Have spent alot of time around those at the Wichita Mtns Wildlife Refuge north of Lawton OKLA... They get spooked pretty easy...

I have always wanted to go roam around the Land Between The Lakes in KY on my way back to my homeland in Southern Ill but never have done it...

Roy Ken

No. Bison are in 2 areas, both fenced. One area also has elk.

Early morning/late evening are the best times to see either one in the combination area, which costs $5/car, and has a driving loop.

The other area is a larger pasture for the bison, it's pretty common to see them close to the main north-south road.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
The buffalo and elk are all fully enclosed. There are none ranging loose at LBL. We nearly always see some around the driving loop, but it all depends on the season and the time of day. We have been around a few times and were not able to see any at all. It is uncleared prarie grass, and a whole heard can dissapear within feet of the roads.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
We live in the area, and spend several week at LBL each year. Camping ranges from large, full-hookup, down to dispersed sites for tent camping. Elk and buffalo are in a large contained area, we usually spend several hours each day in that area. As we do not use them, I am not too familiar with the dispersed camping area. We usually go to the partial water and electric sites. We like Hillman Fetty on the north, but it can get quite crowded, and sone sites are quite close to each other.

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
KevinGeiwitz wrote:
The buffalo and elk are in a large fenced in area . You drive thru with your car my guess its about 15 minutes to see it.

My wife and I drove that 3 1/2 mile loop (twice) last Oct. We never saw any bison or elk. We left that fenced in area and while driving down the main N/S road we saw a herd of bison grazing in another fenced in area along the main north-south road. :B

We stayed at Piney campground one night and planned to stay longer but the bugs were just too bad, so we left after one night.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
For Future reference:

Take at look at this site to see photos of many campgrounds:

Campsite Photos
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

KevinGeiwitz
Explorer
Explorer
The buffalo and elk are in a large fenced in area . You drive thru with your car my guess its about 15 minutes to see it.