cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to RVing in USA.

Ozzie1
Explorer
Explorer
G'day, I am seriously thinking about buying an MH. Recently I was informed that anything over 36 Ft. and a lot of Camp Grounds will not accept you. Is this correct ??? Ozzie 1.
10 REPLIES 10

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I do find that length limits you.It limits you as to which sites you fit into,getting in and out of some gas stations and navigating the roads in some campgrounds.We have a 25 ft TT and have found it hard to get into some sites especially in state and federal parks.But if you don't mind those limitations,then go with whatever size you'll be happy with.Life is full of compromises.

LindaD
Explorer
Explorer
I believe our motor home measures 37 feet and we have never had a problem unless restricted by a particular site in a park not being able to accommodate us or our slides.

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
we do not find it limiting for us and we use national parks, state parks and national forest campgrounds almost all the time. we do use walmart lots and truck stop lots and rest stops for overnight stops enroute to our destinations, so we don't have to look for rv parks or try to get in them after dark, etc.
but yes, there are some old state parks here and there that have not updated their lanes and sites to accommodate big rigs with 50amp elec.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Ozzie1
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, I really appreciate the feedback. Ozzie1.

Blackcell
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca's entire comment above is right on the money. In my experience it's more like if you can maneuver that rig to fit in then you can stay.
2009 Carriage Cameo 35SB3, 12.4K dry, 36' Fiver
2012 F350 6.7L 4x4 Lariat Ultimate FX4, Chrome package, Nav, SRW, CC, LB, 11.5K GVWR, 3.55 ELA, 20" wheels, Toyo AT II, Mor/ryde pin box, Husky 26K hitch
United States Navy Combat Veteran

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
After potential age/type restrcitions, most campgrounds will "accept" anything that fits in the Park. Public campgrounds in particular have advisory length language in site descriptions but they make no judgement about- or even ask about the size of- your rig.

Where you run into trouble is if you've made reservations, arrive, and find your rig is too big to fit the site reserved. In most cases CG's will try to accommodate you elsewhere. But if they can't: do NOT expect a refund of monies already paid, or to be let off the hook for the rest of your reserved time if they can't re-rent on short notice.

Do your homework or be prepared to take your chances!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Burwoods
Explorer
Explorer
Good Sam has a listing of all the states and the length limits, not sure when it was last updated, but I did not see anything where a Motorhome was concerned under 40' Most states were 45' and that is not the combined length with a dingy. Some older campgrounds may have a problem with the length, just because their sites are not big enough. Stay away from those campgrounds.
Bob and Sally
1999 Rexhall Aerbus 36'
Towing 2002 Tracker

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Ozzie,

Any number of state and national park campgrounds have length issues, but those are old and underfunded so they have not modernized. Even those are few and far between, but there are resources you can check form there.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Short answer this is a not true, yes over that length limits choices but at 37 ft I have not been shut out over the last 3 years
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
What length?

Length limit?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman