cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Outdoor kitchen in Yellowstone (bears)?

acritzer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it ok to use an outdoor kitchen here? Cook on the grill? Keep items in the fridge? Of course, assuming we close it up when not in use.

My wife seems extra nervous about this aspect of the trip.
31 REPLIES 31

Cali-MinnieWinn
Explorer
Explorer
You will get the rules when you get to the park; you can cook outside, eat outside, but cannot leave anything unattended, even a fork or water bottle. The rangers will ticket you (and, of course, it's for your safety and that of the bears...as they say in Yosemite "a fed bear is a dead bear").
If you go to nps.gov you can probably find a contact e-mail for yellowstone to get an official and current answer before your visit; I have had luck contacting Yosemite with a specific question.

cruising_spud
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Yellowstone many years ago and someone left a bag of trash near their hard sided travel trailer. We watched a bear come to the camper, rip the bag open, and then proceed to try to get into the trailer. Scratched the side to shreds with his claws. We called a ranger, who arrived within minutes, but by then the camper was a mess. From watching this, I was cautious about even cooking inside our rv.
Kathy

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
Camping at Seeley Lake last year and we were told no drinks of any kind could be outside...
Rick and Patti ๐Ÿ™‚
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
When we were in Alaska, every campground had signs about bears. We used our smoker, but cleaned it up and stowed it after every use. Locals were not that cautious as one of our neighbors, an Alaska native, cooked his fresh caught salmon on the grill and then left the skin on the grill and the grill out. I guess they are used to bears. No issues that time though so maybe he knew something we did not.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

The_Kunkels
Explorer
Explorer
I read somewhere ya put ammonia in a spray bottle and when yer grill is cool spray it and anything else.
The Lord loves you so don't leave home without Him.
Safe travels to all.
God Bless โ€ 

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
The rule at FB, as I recall, is you can use a grill (charcoal or propane-type) as long as you stow it back inside the hard-sided RV when you are done. No open fires at that campground. And of course you can't leave food out overnight or even scented toiletries.

Not sure what attracted the bison that lumbered into our section at FB one afternoon, but he checked the whole row out before moving on.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We were there last May and I cooked on our Webber portable grill. When finished,I put it in the storage compartment of the camper. We stayed in Madison Campground.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
my bear solution, get a paper bag,put in meat scraps/bones/fat etc.
go to opposite end of campground and toss under nearest RV.
bumpy

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Above person is right, best thing is to ask a local ranger. Regardless, be very careful.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
wyocowboy00 wrote:
My wife & I were camping in Grant Village Campground, Yellowstone last year and there were signs and pamphlets given out at the entrance to the Park and the campground saying not to leave food sitting out. We saw bears in the campground. Never the less, our neighbors left a grill and table loaded with food & scraps sitting out over night. Bears have just about the best nose for smelling food of any animal out there.

I'm very surprised those people got away with this. If they had been close to me, I would have reported it. That makes things more dangerous for everyone, but mostly the bears.

The camp hosts at Two Medicine in Glacier got on me for leaving an un-opened Diet Coke can on the table while I was loading the car.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Despite a super cleaning I believe a bear will smell FOOD! in an outdoor kitchen and if he/she wants in there...
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wyocowboy00
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife & I were camping in Grant Village Campground, Yellowstone last year and there were signs and pamphlets given out at the entrance to the Park and the campground saying not to leave food sitting out. We saw bears in the campground. Never the less, our neighbors left a grill and table loaded with food & scraps sitting out over night. Bears have just about the best nose for smelling food of any animal out there.
2012 Chev. Silverado 3500HD DRW 4 X 4
2013 Arctic Fox 992 240 watts solar
Jerry & Judy

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
kalynzoo wrote:
Ask the local ranger.

+ a bunch!!
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've even wondered about cooking something inside with the exhaust vent on. Thinking like bacon -- spread the smell for miles. Can they smell it? Will they then try to find source of the smell? Also - I have seen photos with bears inside vehicle getting the cooler that was inside. Some know what a cooler is and what's inside it.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes.

IF you

*clean up all your spills on the work surfaces and ground
*never put any type of trash or scraps in the fire ring
*clean the grill & gas burners & all work surfaces thoroughly
* close up securely after use
*never leave it unattended while open
*never leave ANY food or beverage unattended outside

I would also not leave anything extra smelly or attractive in the outside fridge. It would be prudent to reserve it for things like cold beverages. No point asking for trouble.

And your wife is right to be concerned. Being sloppy can attract critters you don't want in the campsite. Tent campers cook outside all the time, but they put food in bear boxes or locked vehicles when not using it.

Also, don't leave any food out on the counters while you are away or at night. Bears look in windows.