cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reservations en route to FL from VA on 95, late Jan 2015?

Aadkins101
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be on Route 95 from VA on our way to Atlantic Florida in late January 2015.

We'll be making a number of stops in NC, SC, GA & FL (St. Augustine or Mims). We like to stop when we are tired and not have the pressure of having to be at a certain place. Do you think we can find spots to stay if we call an hour or two before we get there?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
12 REPLIES 12

blknomad
Explorer
Explorer
We like Pecan Park just north of Jacksonville. Its right off I-95 maybe 1/2 mile. If you're there on a weekend the flea market is nice. This is a nicer than average park and makes a nice stopover.

soren
Explorer
Explorer
We have done a Christmas/New Years trip from N.E PA. to Disney, for the last dozen years. We have never had an issue finding an open campground, and some go out of their way to provide easy after hours registration. We have stayed at Green Acres in Walterboro SC, many times, but have never spoken to any staff there, or set foot in the office. Giant pull thrus, and a nice well lit open shed to self register at, after hours.

One important thing to remember with a trip like this is that a open campground, a quarter mile from an exit is a good thing. An open campground that is a fifteen or twenty minute drive off the exit, while making 1/2 dozen turns, is something we work hard to avoid while in transit to a destination, especially after dark.

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
We always stop in Santee State Park (SC) that might be a bit close for you depending upon when you leave and how often you stop along the way. But even on weekends we have been able to just drive in...it is approx. 3 miles off 95.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
you can search for campgrounds open all year on www.woodalls.com Search for the city first, then select "Open all year" and press the red "filter" button at the bottom of the list.
We don't usually make reservations but we arrive early. We call before we arrive to make sure they have space and if not, have an alternate campground in mind. Friday and Saturday nights and weekends are more booked. You might want reservations if you are traveling on those days.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

ESVA_Travelers
Explorer
Explorer
We travel from Virginia in early January on I95 from Emporia to Fl every year and have never had a problem finding a spot. We try to get off the road between 3-4 pm. We've found several campgrounds in NC, a couple in SC, and several near the GA-FL border. From the border we can get to our destination near Ft. Myers without stopping another night. I use The Next Exit and the Trailer Life Guide to look for campgrounds based on when we want to get off the road. You want to start planning a few hours ahead. There are plenty of options but sometimes they are 100 miles apart.
Eastern Shore of VA Travelers
2005 F250, 2011 Cedar Creek 34SB 5th Wheel

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
I've found that KOAs tend to try to meet a certain quality standerd, where as independent campgrounds tend to be all over the map. (Pun intended).

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
I believe all of the KOA's off I-95 in North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia are open year round. You should have no trouble getting into any of them without a reservation.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We have used Point South KOA at exit 33 off of I-95 in South Carolina, 33miles north of the GA state line It's a decent, clean, easy on/off, level place for an overnighter.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If we travel with no reservations, I normally look up a campground in the area I think will be the stopping point for the "early" afternoon. I then call and see if anything is available. Sometimes I just wing it if off season.

I use the normal campground guide book or if internet available, www.rvparkreviews.com.

No problem yet.

Lakelady48
Explorer
Explorer
On our annual trip south, we see several open campgrounds in all those states, except for NC. We have always found FL parks with openings too, although there may be fewer choices in high tourist areas,
2007 Chevy Silverado
2010 Coachmen Freedom Express 24RBS

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
The further south you are, the harder it will be to find vacancies. The further north that you are, the more dificult it will be to find an open campground.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Pick a campground where you MIGHT want to stay and find out if they are open that time of year. The competition will dictate that the nearby CG's will also be open. I doubt there will be any problems finding an open site if the CG is open.
You could get a CG directory to make the search easier.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)