cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RMNP Campgrounds

MVH1
Explorer
Explorer
We want to make a trip next year and would like to stay in the park. Anybody have any recommendations on the different campgrounds in the park. Thanks
22 REPLIES 22

MVH1
Explorer
Explorer
This is great information! Thanks

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Ken, I agree with you in regards to Grand Lake; even though I lived in Estes as you know. And I think Grand Lake has come a long way in the last few years. Too bad the lodge shut down though; we stayed in a "rustic" cabin there several years back.

Estes is now - once they get truly back on their feet again - a tourist trap. But the Park facilities and adventures / opportunities make up for that. Well, kinda.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
One other thing about the west side is that the approaches to the lakes and timberline are much longer hikes than on the east side. One reaches some great high alpine lakes pretty quickly out of the Bear Lake Trailhead. Not so on the west side.

But, I do like Grand Lake as a town better than Estes Park. Quieter, quainter, wooden sidewalks and right on the shore or Grand Lake. Grand Lake reminds me of what Estes Park was 40 or 50 years ago.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
It may have already been posted but you can see all of them Here. Rocky Mountain National Park campgrounds
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

Fliposo
Explorer
Explorer
I think some of the comments against the West side of the park could lead people to avoid it. I've Volunteered there for 1 1/2 Summers and headed there tomorrow. I've had a lot of visitors say they are so glad they visited the West side. Timber Creek CG has lost their trees, but there is a lot to do on the West side. Some great trails, lots of animals, access to the Colorado River, etc.
Retired 2009
Campground Host Shoshone NF '10
Ranger Station Host Roosevelt NF, Red Feather Lakes Summer '11
Interpretive Guide Holswarth Homestead, Rocky Mountain Natl. Park '13,14,15
Snowbirding in Casa Grande since '11
Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta '10

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy is right. In addition, there is a reason the east side is so busy; that is where all the main attractions and things to do are. Just not that much to do on the west side and it is wetter and buggier.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
Lauren, Can you elaborate on your comment about the west side? I would have planned to stay there on a future trip.

I can't speak for Lauren, but I will say that the west side of the park around Grand Lake has been decimated by beetle kill. We used to go to the west side from time to time just to get away from the maddening crowds on the east side, but it's not a good sight anymore.
Ken & Allison
(You get the idea!)

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy, I had expressed similar thoughts to the OP in a PM.

Typically I wouldn't like a campground without trees. However, with the beautiful mountain peaks all around, it gives Glacier campground a front row seat. Maybe we were lucky to have a site without others in front of us. When we sat on our site, there was hundreds of feet to the next camper between us and the mountains.

Lauren, Can you elaborate on your comment about the west side? I would have planned to stay there on a future trip.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
When we lived in Estes Park we called Sept and Oct the season of the newlyweds and nearly deads.

It gets crowded in the summer and, if it were me, I would look to arrive the day after Labor Day.

Do NOT stay on the west side.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
However, we were amazed at our beautiful site at Glacier, and after driving Moraine, wondered why folks preferred it?

I must admit I haven't camped at Glacier Basin since many of the trees were removed due to beetle kill. Many of the sites are so out in the open without the trees. I imagine better views, though. If the OP is looking for a campsite in Glacier Basin with some trees, try to find one in loops A and B.

Our preference for Moraine Park is because of the trees and the views of Longs Peak and at the peaks at the headwaters of the Big Thompson. Of course in the fall, the elk in the park is an amazing sight. Can be a little noisy in the morning when the elk are bugling.
Ken & Allison
(You get the idea!)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We, too, enjoyed Glacier Basin....also, we volunteered there. What a gig!!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
When I researched last year, the consensus was that Moraine was preferred. We felt short changed when the only reservation available was Glacier.

However, we were amazed at our beautiful site at Glacier, and after driving Moraine, wondered why folks preferred it?

Some of my most remembered moments of the trip were sitting on our campsite at Glacier and watching the kids play with that gorgeous backdrop.

Moral? We all have different preferences.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
What month would you recommend to visit during the summer?

RMNP is busy throughout the Summer season, starting from opening through Labor Day. I mentioned weather as a factor in my previous post, so you can be aware of the changeable nature of it up there. Whereas in a normal year, NPS gets Trail Ridge open generally in mid-May, this year it was after Memorial Day, which is unusual.

That said, I would look to perhaps some time in July as the optimal time, followed by August. Those 2 months there's less of a chance of snow at the higher elevations, though it can occur any time of the year up there. Yes, those 2 months will be busy with a lot of people, but there's a reason for that -- weather is generally the most ideal for exploring Rocky. July is a bit drier than May or June, and the monsoon season doesn't kick in until the end of the month/early August. August can be wet, but it's generally rain and generally thunderstorms that build up in the afternoon. Rule of thumb for the mountains is to get an early start and be off the high peaks by 2pm at the latest.

September is also a good time to be there as well, but Glacier Basin closes in early September, so there's more competition for spots in Moraine Park. September/October is the rutting season for the Elk and they are everywhere and quite a spectacle. Day users of the Park are also everywhere and traffic can get crazy some days/evenings.

Make your reservations in January of 2016, February at the latest, depending on when you choose. If you want to know about some specific sites and what your needs might be, PM me and I'll try to assist.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.