cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tannehill Ironworks Historical State Park in Oct

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Planning a trip that would take us near Tannehill Ironworks Historical State Park, Al on or about Oct 4 or 5 (Sun & Mon). Found out the this park doesn't take reservations. Any one have any experience with this park? What do you think our odds are of finding a decent spot for a couple of days while we explore the park and surrounding area. We are B campers and only require electric. Which leads me to ask, what is there to see & do in the near surrounding area (history, scenic, mills, waterfalls, etc.)?

Thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
14 REPLIES 14

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.americanvillage.org/site/PageServerMay want to check this place out while your there.
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a plan. Hope you can prove me wrong. Any other month or any other campground. It's just a local phenomenon. Tannehill and October just don't mix.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks mikestock for the advice. Think we'll call Tannehill as we near it and if it is full, not that I don't believe you, we'll head on to plan B, Brierfield Ironworks Historical State Park down the road a bit. According to google maps we can always make a day trip back to Tannehill before heading to Panama City, FL. And if we can't make Tannehill that's fine. Ain't never been to the Super Bowl neither!
Thanks again.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
garmp1 wrote:
mikestock: Should we change our plans or do you think we might find a decent site for a couple of nights if we plan to arrive Oct. 4? I think that this early in the month we should find something decent for a B that only needs electric, but more than willing to listen to a veteran of the park. Worse case scenario we'd spend only one night.
Thanks

I really have doubts. You might have better luck walking up to the ticket window at the Super Bowl and buying four tickets on the 50.

Seriously, there is a COE park, Deerlick Creek, in Tuscaloosa County and a state park, Oak Mtn. just south of Birmingham. Either of those are ok.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
It mikestock doesn't reply soon, you could also call or email Tannehill directly: (205) 477-5711 or tannehillsp@bellsouth.net.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
mikestock: Should we change our plans or do you think we might find a decent site for a couple of nights if we plan to arrive Oct. 4? I think that this early in the month we should find something decent for a B that only needs electric, but more than willing to listen to a veteran of the park. Worse case scenario we'd spend only one night.
Thanks

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock wrote:
Tannehill? October? In the words of a Bronxster, "Fagitaboutit".

The Halloweenies line up to get in there on October 1 and start decorating. You could not find a more difficult campground spot in the country.

Oh, yeah, Fairyland. That isn't until the 31st.

They really start decorating at the beginning of the month and stay there the entire time 'til then?
It's his Super Power!

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Tannehill? October? In the words of a Bronxster, "Fagitaboutit".

The Halloweenies line up to get in there on October 1 and start decorating. You could not find a more difficult campground spot in the country.

Jayco1c
Explorer
Explorer
Confederate iron works. Lots of history there.

Good park.

"Three Fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and One Fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."
--- Chuck Clark ---

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed here in march on our way to texas. Nice park and I would stay here again. The sites are adequate in size but not what I would call spacious. It has 3 sections, full hook up, W/E and rustic with no hook up. We never used the facilities so can't comment on cleanliness. It was a Confederate iron works that cast cannon for their army. Lots of history there.

Trlrboy
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to pictures I took around Tannehill a couple of years ago. We had no trouble at all getting a campsite on a Friday afternoon in September.

TANNEHILL PICS
2010 Montana 3400RL
Chevy 2500HD Duramax

PHOTOLINK

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
That isn't a weekend when Alabama plays at home, so you likely will be okay. The park is only about 30 miles from Bryant-Denney Stadium in Tuscaloosa. (ROLL TIDE!)
It's his Super Power!

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I stayed there a few years back. Very pretty, very interesting.
Don't know the surrounding area for sightseeing suggestions. We did not have reservations and did not have a problem.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Should not have an issue getting a site that time of the year. October will be perfect weather 60-70's during the day and 50's at night. Its a neat park with a ton of history. I've never camped here but have visited it numerous times. Oak Mountain SP about and your south on I65 is also a great place to visit. Cheaha Mtn is about 2 hours east off of I20 with great views and hiking.

In Birmingham a great place to visit is the McWane Center. To learn about Birmingham's ore/steel industry visit the Vulcan Park and Sloss Furnace, both are free are and great places to visit.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian