cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thousand Trails Membership

blkdodge
Explorer
Explorer
Any good or not so good advise on Thousand Trails? It seems pretty decent as long as you plan to travel in their "ZONE". I didnt get the feel of a high pressure time share type. Right now if you purchase 1 zone for $545.00 you get a second zone free. If you renew every year contiously you will always get the second zone free of charge.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
David
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW/2012 Heartland Landmark San Antonio.
15 REPLIES 15

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I too favor Passport America. We belong to Coast to Coast also and have camped at affiliate (out of our network, $10 a night) CG's but as stated before their locations are very limited. We have used C2C in combination with PA on long trips and find PA has the most availability but you need to pay attention to the restrictions. Some PA CG's are Monday thru Thursday, not good on holidays, limit the number of nights the discount is good for and such. Still we find that we use PA the most. A good value if you travel a lot. If you only go camping a few times a year then I would not bother with any memberships in any of them.

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
We have a nationwide TT membership. We spent six weeks in California last winter. We pay no dues, and no annual fees, so for us it's a great deal.

There are many parks that we really like, and there are some that we don't care for much. But we focus on the ones we do enjoy.

There are many places that we travel to that have no TT parks, but there are many parks that are well placed, and a great place to visit.
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

FKT4387
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I've written a fair bit about Thousand Trails on my blog:
- Overview
- Is Thousand Trails Right for You?
- Campground Reviews (mid-Atlantic mostly)

All references to "Thousand Trails" on my blog:
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=thousand%20trails%20sit...
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
I was a member for over ten years. If you camp a LOT it's an OK deal but otherwise let it pass.

AdirondackJack
Explorer
Explorer
We've looked at the program closely and found that Passport America just works better for us. We like to try different routes and visit maybe 30 campgrounds each year. It all depends on what type of traveling you like to do and where you want to do it.
2011 Excel 30RSO, 32', 3 slides, 4-Season 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty, 6.2L V8, 385hp

Exploring & writing about life along the Snowbird RV Routes

sweetnoni
Explorer
Explorer
Not impressed with their park in South Beach, OREGON. Over priced, little space and buggy.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a different take on TT. We live in So. Calif, we stated with a Zone Pass a few years ago at an Encore Park in Lake Tahoe( a very nice park)to say the least. It so happens that Ca has many TT facilities and with that in mind, we upgraded to a full membership. Out of approx 150 days of camping this year so far, we've use our membership at a number of different locations and for about 95% of those 150 days . As stated, many of the parks within the system are no where's close to being resorts but there are enough Gems for us to get our monies worth plus every year. It may be location for us but I'm an advocate for what we have received out of it and the Zone pass was and is a good value if you use it...IMHO
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
helperzack wrote:
There are a few on ebay. Pricing varies. A couple of them have an asking price or best offer.

X2, not a TT member as that type of camping is not our cup of tea, but there are lots of memberships available on the secondary market.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Gunship_Guy
Explorer
Explorer
We were given a free membership when we purchased our rv in January. We haven't used any of the parks in our selected Zone. They either get mediocre reviews or don't offer FHUs. And then there are those restrictions.

I can find bad campgrounds on my own. I don't like the Zone concept. I don't see anything special about Thousand Trails when there are other discount options out there, i.e. Passport America.

We will not renew.
2017 Weekend Warrior (by The RV Factory)
2013 Ram 3500 Longhorn LB DRW 4x4 Aisin 4.10

Previous:

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 41'
2006 DRV Mobile Suites 38'
Volvo 770

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
I would read reviews of various TT parks in the zone where I thought I might stay before committing. Some are glorified parking lots with hook ups.

Passport America has many of them in their 1/2 price membership. You could try a few out before buying.

If you like enough of the parks in the zone/s you are buying, and you will be spending enough time to make it worth it (at least 30 nights per year) in those particular parks, go for it.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
If (and that is a big IF) you are going to travel in the area of the ZONE where TT CGS are and you are going to use them....just figure how many of them and how many times you would use them in one year....... LESS than $595 worth or would it cost you more? (At $35/nite....17 stays breaks even)

Besides it's only for 1 year.......no long term commitment.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

helperzack
Explorer
Explorer
There are a few on ebay. Pricing varies. A couple of them have an asking price or best offer.
Coachmen Mirada 310DS named "The Corporate Headquarters."
When camping I just tell clients that I am working at "Corporate Headquarters"

rhingst
Explorer
Explorer
We checked into it for our 4 month trip this year but even using the 2 zones we were going to spend most of the time there were only a couple of TT parks that would have worked so we forgot about it.
2008 Ford F350 Lariat Crew Cab Powerstroke SRW
2007 Hitchhiker Discover America 339RSB