cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Top RV parks

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
For anyone's interest here's a list of the top RV parks for 2014 from Good Sam.
http://www.goodsamcamping.com/explore/articledetails.aspx?articleid=3081835
20 REPLIES 20

soricobob
Explorer
Explorer
A list of "best" without Bluewater Key or Colter Bay is a joke!

didi
Explorer
Explorer
I went on good sams to check Disney's Fort Wilderness and to my surprize they rated the fort as 9.5 10 10 that's a first for me it was always rated all 10's. The last few times visiting the fort I thought they were slacking in the cleaning of the bathroom's. go figure.

2003 Airstream Land Yacht 30'
See More. Do More. Live More.

lewisedge
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite campsites are at Ocracoke Island National Seashore, which are just a sand dune away from the most pristine, uncrowded beaches anywhere on the US eastern seaboard. Separate areas are designated for tent campers, trailers and motorhomes. There are paved pads for RVs but no shade and no hookups. The campground has grills, tables, modern restrooms, unheated showers and potable water. Across the main road from the campground there is a free dump station and a connection to fill water tanks. Campers with a National Park Senior Pass pay half the regular $23/night camping fee. Camping there in September we found great swimming weather and warm water but the crowds and mosquitoes were gone.

HeresLucy
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of motorcoach only resorts -- good for us, but that leaves out a lot of RVers.

I checked a few CGs we give high marks that accept all types of Rvers and sadly they are not even rated. But they are SPs or COE CGs. Hopefully those new to RVing do their research so they don't miss out on some outstanding CGs like these.

Ortona Lock (COE), LaBelle, FL (about 16 miles east of Riverbend which is listed as a Top resort in that link).. We've stayed at Riverbend and yes it is beautiful, but once we found Ortona, we never went back.

Topsail Hill and Henderson Beach SPs ( Santa Rosa Beach, FL and Destin, FL)

Old Federal (COE), Flowery Branch, GA

and so on
2006 Allegro Bus 40' DP
2005 Grand Cherokee

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had a look through. We have stayed at 3 of them though anything with 'resort' in the name usually does not warrant a second look unless an event like a bluegrass festival is being held there.

Wonder how they are rated? Value for money or simply the nicest in their suveyor's eyes. There are some really nice dry camping NPs & SPs with no pool etc. going for $10PN which beat out the glitzyiest 'resort' for location, site size & views from site but that is JMO.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
Everybody's idea of a 10 is subjective. My favorite place has no pool - but it does have a river that you can not only swim in, you can tube and fish. It doesn't have any hookups, it does have a dump station, water spigots placed around for re-filling, and doesn't need 110 because the A/C is not needed. No cable, but no cell signal either - the way I like it. You might not like this - that's why there are multiple kinds of parks.
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
I have the book and use it. It clearly states in the book exactly what and how they rate each park, and the vast majority don't get 10's across the board. If an RV park doesn't have a pool or a swing set, it doesn't get a 10 in that category.

That's OK with me because I don't use a pool and can't fit in a swing seat. And, as a single RVer, a teeter/totter isn't a big draw.

:B
ditto X2!

Well I know of and have stayed at least 50 CG's that 'should' have been on that list and are not........I'd list them for you but then they would get too crowded!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Like I said, my list is from another source that apparently sees things differently from GS. To each his own.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I have the book and use it. It clearly states in the book exactly what and how they rate each park, and the vast majority don't get 10's across the board. If an RV park doesn't have a pool or a swing set, it doesn't get a 10 in that category. That's OK with me because I don't use a pool and can't fit in a swing seat. And, as a single RVer, a teeter/totter isn't a big draw. OTOH, if they don't have FHUs, I like to know about it so I can avoid it. Other folks have different criteria.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

exgman
Explorer
Explorer
noe-place wrote:
I have a list compiled by "another" source and here are a few that I think GS really missed:

Madison Arm Resort-Montana
Squaw Flat Campground-Utah
Boyd's Key West-Florida
Mt. Desert Narrows Camping Resort-Maine
Horsethief Lake Camp Ground-South Dakota
Yosemite Pines RV Park-California
Rocky Knob Camp Ground-Virginia
Durango RV Resort-California
Holiday Cove Resort-Florida
Normandy Farms-Massachusetts
Bar Harbor-Maine

Wow! I've never known anyone on this site that goes to Madison Arm Resort. It's a beautiful place. No pool, no pavement so it will never rate very high. Been going every year since '92. Stayed in the cabins until 05 when we bought our first motorhome. Will be back in Sept.
Dan
14 American Coach Eagle
DD-13 500 HP
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
I have a list compiled by "another" source and here are a few that I think GS really missed:

Madison Arm Resort-Montana
Squaw Flat Campground-Utah
Boyd's Key West-Florida
Mt. Desert Narrows Camping Resort-Maine
Horsethief Lake Camp Ground-South Dakota
Yosemite Pines RV Park-California
Rocky Knob Camp Ground-Virginia
Durango RV Resort-California
Holiday Cove Resort-Florida
Normandy Farms-Massachusetts
Bar Harbor-Maine

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Go figure, none of them made my top 10
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Ten/Ten/Ten is well and good, and I have had the pleasure to visit a few of the parks on the list; however, there are times I have gladly given up the paved road or the well placed signage for the comfort of a lovely park with a view, and a quiet atmosphere. But as noted by DogFolks maid service would be a nice touch. JMHO and Happy Trails.

bigdogger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those ratings don't always equate to the best rv parks. Many of the ratings points are earned because a facility has a certain amenity, not necessarily because that amenity is the best of the best. For example, a pool is a point. If the best park in the world didn't have a pool it cannot be a 10/10/10. Also, a park with a 20x40 pool gets the same pool points as a park with a full blown 100 acre waterpark. Like always, any park rating is going to be more subjective than scientific.