Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip Report: The Perfect Family Trip, Northwest 2016

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
In a groove...

I believe we are becoming accustomed to this lifestyle. Just 3 short years ago, my wife and I had never taken more than a week in a row off. Not for 20 years. There's been a change, and it's for the better! In the last 3 years, we have traveled over 20k miles, covered over 30 National Parks and probably as many states. This is a travel resume' that I didn't think in my lifetime would be possible. I had even convinced myself that travel was for "other people". People with time, that I'd never have.

Well, life and circumstances change. My family has been blessed. Not with riches, but with love and time...the all elusive TIME.

We just returned from another epic 40'ish day summer! Another "Perfect Family Trip"! This year took us to the Northwest. We covered parks that many would put near the top of their rankings. The cornerstones were Yellowstone and Glacier. We traveled almost 7k miles. And once again, we had our cameras by our side the entire way.

The thread in my signature titled "Southwest 2014: The Perfect Family Trip" was so rewarding for me. I enjoyed sharing, I enjoyed the feedback and comments, and I learned from the input. I hope to cover this trip as well as the first, and I hope for the same rewarding participation. Please join in.

We've had a different philosophy on this trip, and didn't know how it might change the experience. For SW2014, I had researched and planed down to the gnat's eyelash. 90% of our nights were reserved, and 90% of our daily itineraries were decided. In other words, the trip was intentional. This year, I'm not sure why the change, but we researched very little and planned even less. Of course, we had reservations for Yellowstone and Glacier, but the rest of our nights were left to the wind. We also had zero itineraries planned. We weren't even sure what was in the parks until we went to the visitors centers. Both strategies have pros and cons, and we now think we understand them better.

June 3rd was my last day of school. We finally left the house of June 4th. Our itinerary would be the following:

1. Grand Tetons
2. Yellowstone
3. Glacier
4. Black Hills
5. Badlands

Much fewer parks than SW2014. We tried to fill in-between parks with whatever we came across. At times we did well and at others we struggled to find anything. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

In the first 3 days, we logged in some heavy miles. Day 1 was about 480. Day 2 was 575. Day 3 was somewhere around 500. It wasn't in the plan that way, but I was feeling good. We stayed in a campground the first night (due to it being hot), but the next few would all be Walmarts or Cabelas.

We high tailed it like this until we hit western Nebraska. We were on I80 and came into Chimney Rock and Scott's Bluff. Thanks to my planning thread, we knew we would come across these and were ready to slow down.

I am out of town right now and don't have access to my photos, so, I'll stop here until I get back home. We weren't home a week when I decided to drive 1500 more miles to see my parents for a bit before the school year started. I'm a gluten for punishment.

Again, I look forward to this thread. I'll post lots of pictures, but it will take time. Bear with me. Speaking of bears... ๐Ÿ™‚
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!
95 REPLIES 95

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Thank you for sharing. I always look forward to your photos and narration. We spent our time at Glacier a couple of years ago on the west side at Mountain Meadows RV in Hungry Horse--certainly one of our favorite campgrounds.

We are now planning a trip in September to Banff in Canada and on our return will spend a couple of days at St. Mary on the east side. We don't do as much hiking as we used to--we are both in our 80s, but we have some great memories.

Thanks again for sharing.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
If we had the extra time, staying in the area of Seeley/Swan/Flathead Lakes would make for a great way to spend a few days. We didn't realize that when laying out our schedule, so we must move on. Moving on wasn't so bad though, as our next stop was Glacier National Park!

We entered Glacier on the west side, knowing that our time would be spent mostly on the east.

We wanted to get a sense of it all, so we stayed at Apgar for 2 nights. The campground was very nice, but our research said the west side was more congested, and it was. It was very, very busy.

Here's our site at Apgar, which you can see did offer privacy and a feeling that the crowds were kept at bay.

While there, we had a few repairs to do. I try to involve the boys as much as I can in this side of camping. They spend a lot of their year either in school or on electronic devices, so our summer is quite a shift, in many ways. Here's Owen helping to put plumbers tape on our hose joints.

While on the west side, we toured a bit around Lake McDonald and visited the lodge.

We then travelled around the south side of the park to our destination for the next 6 nights, St. Mary's Campground. It was a great drive. When we arrived, we couldn't believe this would be home for awhile! We prefer to not be around the crowds and amenities...this was more like it!

That's us in the picture!

The way the camper was positioned (shoehorned), we had 100% privacy and a view to kill for.

Being in bear country, it was a little concerning that we could be snuck up on easily. But we lived. We did see some wildlife from the site though. Here is a bald eagle (which happily, is not all that rare to see. Even back home.) that flew above our site often through the week.

We also had a fox that used our site as a thoroughfare. I was standing at the back of the truck and he walked within 5' of me heading one way...10 minutes later, he came right back through but with a ground squirrel in his mouth. We were apparently staying on his hunting ground.

Of course, we drove "Going to the Sun" on our very first day! It was amazing. Fortunately, it had opened just 4-5 days before we arrived.

We hiked as far as we could to the "Hidden Falls" from the visitor center at Logan Pass. The trail was blocked at a certain point due to snow. We could see dozens of falls in every direction anyway, so we didn't feel much loss.

While at the top of Logan Pass, we had our first bear experience in Glacier. We were watching a group of sheep on the mountainside, can you see them?

When, suddenly, the group got up and ran a few hundred feet higher. It was strange and we couldn't see why. Well, not 30 seconds later, momma and her cub come out of the tree line. She did make a short run for the sheep, but didn't try to hard. I guess she knew the sheep had the advantage.

The bears didn't have lunch, but we did get to watch them for 20 minutes or so.

In hind sight, I wish we had pushed ourselves to hike more. This year, we did more relaxing than hiking. We did manage to get in one lengthy hike at Glacier, and it was one of our all-time favorites! We did the trail up to Grinnell Glacier. Again, the trail was blocked by snow just before the Glacier (which was upsetting), but the trail was still amazing up to that point.

The whole trip, we were aware of the risks hiking in bear country, but seeing these signs that bear are active in the area puts an extra skip in your step.

The wildflowers were everywhere, the weather was PERFECT. With scenery like this, I believe I could hike twice as far as I normally might.

The entire hike, we were running into people saying they saw "digs" on the trail, etc. So we made sure to make lots of noise. None the less, we still turned the corner and were faced by momma and cub.

They were up the hill from us by a hundred feet or so. We paused for a second, we were already singing, so I told everyone to keep moving like we were and keep singing. I figured she knew we were there before we saw her and since she was not bothering to stop foraging, we must have been "okay". The cub did show too much curiosity for my taste. But luckily didn't move from momma.

It was an amazing experience to meet up like that. It is such a different experience than a zoo. Us and them...cohabiting a space, even for just a moment. It was an adrenaline rush for all of us and a memory we'll always have.

At the end of the trail, we did give out a few extra hugs. We were thankful that it was a positive experience and knew that it could have gone any number of other ways.

For a lot of our visit, the wind was viscous. It was too much to enjoy being outside on a day or two. So, we had some slow days. We enjoyed being at camp, which wasn't so bad.

The boys got to practice at a few other chores. Learning how the generator works for one. You can see here that I keep the generator in the truck. It is cable locked to a tie down and the cap locks, so I figure it is safest there. It also makes it convenient to not have to move it to use it. We drag it out on the tailgate and pull the cord.

They also learned how to keep up with the plumbing and water system.

By the end of our stay, we were ready to leave, but knew we were in a very special place. I doubt we will return, at least while the kids are with us. It is such a drive for us to get there. At this point, we were the furthest from home that we would be on the trip, and over the next few weeks we would come to realize just how far that was.

Thank you Glacier for a wonderful experience!

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I get it guys...keep me honest. Don't let me off being lazy! ๐Ÿ™‚ Okay, so here is an actual update.

So, we left Yellowstone a bit down on the trip so far (being honest). Little did we know, but the best was ahead of us!

Looking at a map, it seemed the drive from Yellowstone to Glacier would be a hop, skip and a jump. It wasn't. We didn't have any sites picked out, but stumbled into an enjoyable time. For starters, we didn't make it far that first day. We restocked at the Costco in Billings. After our $9 pack of hot dog buns in Yellowstone, it was nice to buy groceries at real world prices again.

We made it as far as the Walmart in Butte, to stay for the night. This was a great overnight spot. We came down the hill westbound on I-90 to a Butte sunset that was memorable. There were at least a dozen others with us that night, and we met a few characters that made the stop worthwhile.

The next morning we set out to possibly make it all the way, but didn't go a half hour before getting hung up at the Grant Kohrs Ranch in Deer Lodge. This is a preservation of the "Open Range" cowboy experience. The ranch is still operating and you can tour the well preserved home, blacksmith and several other interests. It could be a half hour stop if you're not feeling it, but we really got into the whole mood of the place.

The boys got to dress in character!

I had a great time chatting with the "Cowboy" at the chuckwagon, who served authentic cowboy coffee, right out of the fire, with chunks and all!

And, of course, the Montana scenery was spectacular!

This stop took up a few hours, so once again, we didn't go as far as we thought we would have. We drove up to the west side of Glacier following Seeley and Swan Lakes. We found a beautiful and secluded FS campground right on Seeley Lake. Turns out, these FS campgrounds were all over the place in this area. It made for a restful one night stop, for only $10. We grilled out and had a few beverages around the campfire...a nice break from the run and gun style of staying in Walmarts and moving at first light.

This brings us to our arrival at Glacier. I hope to post this next chapter soon! Thanks for bearing with me...as I drag this out.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I'm such a heel. This report will drag out until we're already on the 2017 adventure... I can't claim anything else but being lazy. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Maybe this will buy me some more time? It's a trailer for the video series. It was just a template from iMovie, so not much creativity on my part.

Northwest 2016 Trailer

Hope to pick up with the photos soon. Mpond, you will see later on, that the Black Hills were a high point of our trip!

D.E. Bishop, I enjoyed your input and perspective. Thanks.

MPond
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 - great report so far!

Looking forward to the rest, and we're planning to hit Black Hills & Badlands next summer (2017).
2003 Country Coach Intrigue, Cummins ISL 400
Toad: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) toad, with just a few mods...

Other rig: 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually / Next Level 38CK Fifth-wheel Toy Hauler w/ quads, sand rail, etc...

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
Came across this trip report this evening. I've enjoyed your story and pictures. Will check back later for the ending.
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

Twain
Explorer
Explorer
Finally caught back up on the '16 trip. We are learning a lot and our family of 5 is plotting a GC, Utah, Teton and Yellowstone trip from Florida. It's a big bite for one trip, but get out west only every 12-15 years.
Early 1999 F-350 7.3 DRW CC, 4.10
2016 Open Range Light FL295FBH
3 Kids, 2 Dogs, 1 Wife.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Northwest is a pretty specific place if you live in the West.
For people from the East, who knows what they think?

Hanesworthy
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
We as older folk have past through all the phases of camping and are now entering the destination phase. We don't travel as long and as fast as before and can spend an entire day on the road and only go 90 miles or stop and sit (not really sitting) for several days.

What wise and beautiful sentiments! How fortunate are your children and grandchildren! What a beautiful legacy.

Although I can't help but wonder if you've accurately named the new phase you are entering, as it sure sounds from your description that anyone who is content to slow down and savor wherever they are has finally learned to truly appreciate the journey more than the destination.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Late to the party, but enjoying your great trip report! Nice job!
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3, I really don't like peoples "The Best Of..." stories but yours really seems to be a title and not a profound belief that it was perfect. Put another way, it's a story about a great family being a great family.

Now don't get older just to find out if I'm right but, The Best Is Yet To Come. I know you've heard that a million times about a million things but here is a little story about what we received from our Girls about 1987 or '88 when they were around 20. Both girls belonged to a organization their Mother belonged to and were chosen by their peers statewide to be Officers for a year. Well they served during different years and a couple after the youngest became a Past .... they were longing around after dinner at our home one evening and relating stories of how they and a few of their friends travelled around our state mostly but a few others and even as far a Manitoba CA to visit with others groups of this same organization. These trips were mostly by car or van and gave the travelers the opportunity to visit a lot of parks and attractions all over the West, Southwest and Northwest. Both of ours (not realizing were had stopped doing whatever we were doing to listen to their stories) were commenting on how their friends just didn't know anything about, traveling, camping, parks, exploring towns and other attractions and how very, very lucky they were to have spent their vacations going on trips and sleeping in tents and picnicking almost every single day and that they hoped to do that for their children.

I won't bore you with the ensuing 30 years but both girls love to travel and now in their fifties still love to sit and talk to one another about those years (at least in my belief) of learning about living.

Now an even better or at least more exciting part, starting over with grandchildren. The oldest didn't start traveling until she was about a week old and the youngest was a couple of years old when he first really traveled. They accumulated at least 20 NPS Junior Ranger badges each and have been given little badges in some parks making them Jr. Ranger Captains because they have been to the park more than once and still did the Jr. Ranger program.

We as older folk have past through all the phases of camping and are now entering the destination phase. We don't travel as long and as fast as before and can spend an entire day on the road and only go 90 miles or stop and sit (not really sitting) for several days.

You and the DW go for it, a lot of us have and it is fun and rewarding.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Can be DELETED

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I'm back...finally. This has been one messed up trip report.

So far, I've covered through to the end of our Geiser Loop. If I post any inconsistencies with earlier posts, my apologies. I have no intentions of misleading, but at this point we are 4 months after the trip and reaching the limits of my memory abilities. ๐Ÿ™‚

I also have to realize that I'm not going to find the time to do the level of job with this that I'd hoped for.

The next day for us was the waterfall area. We hiked to the edge of both falls, and if my memory is correct, the upper falls hike was fairly strenuous. It was less than a half mile, but steep switchbacks the whole way. Still, it was worth it and exciting to stand right next to such power.

We picnicked in the area and saw some tourists doing dumb things...

The boys also earned their badges while in this area!

We ended every day by hanging out in Hayden Valley to animal watch until complete darkness. I think we would all agree that these evenings were our favorite time in Yellowstone.

We ventured out on some of the trails in Hayden, even after spotting a few Grizzlies in scopes. Who would have thought that walking through a valley could be such a rush.

One evening, we had an incredibly exciting event. This young elk swam across a river in front of us and started herding the geese. He played for a half hour this way.

While I'm looking through the camera, my peripheral catches to white blurs running breakneck out of the woods, through the sage and towards the elk.

The elk turns and runs for his life. The adrenaline that started pumping in us was amazing. We thought we were going to see wolves take down an elk right in front of us! Turns out, they were likely coyote and they started playing cat and mouse with the elk. Anyway, I was on a Yellowstone adventure, so no matter the truth, they were wolves to me. ๐Ÿ™‚

On another night, we happened upon a wolf feeding on a bison calf. One of the ladies there (a pro), had a great spotting scope and she had video of the entire incident. Two adult bison and two calves were being stalked by this wolf. The bison sacrificed one of the calves to the wolf by goring and throwing it until it was dead. The wolf then began feeding. Amazing video.

Anyway, we did leave Yellowstone feeling like we had been National Geographic photographers on an adventure in the wild. Great experience!

On another day, we did the loop to the NW. This was an extremely long day from Fishing Bridge. If we return, we will move camp part way through our visit.

We were at Norris Basin just days after the young man lost his life in one of them. That gave my boys a serious respect, if not a fear of walking the boardwalk.

We also hiked the boardwalks at Mammoth.

We took a beautiful gravel road on the NW side of the park. We took our time and stopped for a picnic with hardly anyone else around. As I think I mentioned earlier, we eat all of our meals from the truck.

We drove up to near the top of Mt. Washburn. The winds were EXTREME! Literally would take you off your feet!

This is a random shot that I wanted to throw in to illustrate what camp life is like in Fishing Bridge. I doubt we would stay there again. Electricity wasn't necessary, so the cons outweighed the benefits for us.

We ended our stay at Yellowstone two nights early. We had a good time, but the excitement of what lies ahead had us too curious! We left out of the Northwest gate without ever going into the Northeast side of the park. Yes, we missed Beartooth... Gives us a reason to return someday.

Hanesworthy
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, you are ambitious! Those videos look great and fun to watch, but I'm sure there's a ton of time/work involved! I've done a handful of special slideshows for memorial services and special events, and they take a long time to do well. I'm sure video editing is an even longer process!

The main lesson I learned from those projects was there was a strong inverse correlation between project length and viewer appreciation, with about 10-12 minutes being the sweet spot where the show ended before people's attention did; the longer it went past that timeframe, the more I seemed to lose people. I sometimes ended up with a longer unabridged version for immediate family (whose interest was greater) and the truncated version for everyone else. YMMV.

Good luck to you, and looking forward to seeing the finished product!

tragusa3 wrote:
I hear ya Hanes!

Here's the deal. I've been working tirelessly at editing the videos for the trip. We'll be around family for the holidays and I wanted to have them done by then. I've got one final installment to work on. This trip ended up being 12 installments of about 25 minutes a piece.

I've been getting hugely interested in the hobby of shooting video and editing. I don't seem to watch tv much anymore, instead I watch creative youtube vloggers for ideas, etc. My goal would be to get as good as Casey Neistat. Look him up on youtube His Page HERE and you'll see the style I'm shooting for. I'm a long ways from it. I'm not as entertaining in front of a camera, and I'm not as talented at editing. Hanes, seeing your posts throughout the years, I bet you'd be good at it.

The short of it is, I may be just a few weeks from finishing my videos and can then finish out posting here. For those that haven't done a trip report, you may not realize that it can be so time consuming.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
Thanks guys.

Regarding lunch. On this entire trip we ate out a total of ONCE (a Chinese place in Cody). We always pack picnics. It saves money, sure, but that's the third reason we do it. The first is that lunch becomes part of the park experience for us. The second is that it saves time. For instance, on the Northwest loop of Yellowstone, there is a fairly long unpaved road that you can take that meanders through the rolling hills. We drove until we were far from anyone and stopped there for lunch. I'll post those pics in the next section.

Most of the time we have no trouble finding picnic tables. The main map for Yellowstone shows where you can find them. Once we waited about 15 min for one to become available. All other times, our truck tailgate is a great picnic spot. We can put it where we want it and it is always available! LOL We didn't do it on this trip, but on our last trip we brought the Coleman grill and grilled burgers and stuff while touring the parks.

I would think that in the majority of parks (at least the ones we've been to), eating lunch at restaurants is either not an option or you pay dearly for the time it takes to leave the good stuff to find food.

Hope that helps.
We were at Yellowstone in May. We drove from the road from Norris to Canyon. As we were going up a hill a mother grizzly and 3 cubs came walking toward us and walked right by our van!Then we went to the Canyon visitor center. The restaurant wasn't open yet but the snack bar was. My wife and I each got a hot dog, a cup of soup and a soda. $26.00 ! There was a big raven sitting on the picknic table right outside the door. I took our food to the van to eat and he followed me over. I sat at the sliding door with our dog behind. The dog and raven eyed each other up but they were both more interested in the food. I gave them each a little piece of bun.