cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip Report: The Perfect Family Trip!

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
EDIT: I wanted to add this link here at the beginning.

Ragusa's Summer 2014 Trailer

Hello friends! We have been home for two months, but I am just now feeling like getting to the trip report. The trip was so EPIC, that I was honestly a bit intimidated to put it into a thread. Realizing now that I could never do the trip justice, I decided to just jump in and let the report come out the best it does.

Over the last year or more, many folks on this forum had helped in the planning over on this thread: A year of planning for the perfect family trip! Thank you to all that contributed.

Some were put off by my use of the word "perfect", saying that it wasn't possible. Well, not only was it possible, but it was accomplished! Perfect doesn't mean trouble free. Having the right state of mind is necessary at times. But all in all, 99% of the trip went off exactly as we had hoped.

I want to give a thorough report. We have 20,000 photos and over 20 hours of video to sort and sift through. I've been working diligently on iMovie and already have half the trip put together. I put together a very brief slideshow for close friends and family, and even that is a 4 hour process showing some 1,000 pictures. That being said, the photos and videos are a labor of love for us personally. I hope to share them with people, but understand how hard it is to sit through other families home movies. That's where you folks come in! We have a common interest. Campers, camping, travel, etc. I think posting here will be a great way to share with the community.

The trip: We left on June 6, 2014 from South Carolina and headed west for a 40 day loop through the Southwest. We hit as many National Parks as we could in that time frame. When we parked the truck in the driveway, the odometer read 5,999.9 miles. Every last one of them treasured.

Places visited:

Petrified Forest
Walnut Canyon
Sunset Crater
Wupatki
Grand Canyon
Glen Canyon and Lake Powell
Kanab, Utah
Zion
Bryce
Capitol Reef
Goblin Valley
Arches
Canyonlands
Moab
Mesa Verde
Durango
Silverton
Ouray
Ridgway
Black Canyon of the Gunnison
Rocky Mtn National Park
Sand Creek
Wichita
St. Louis

I listed places we actually stopped and did things. There were many other things that were just quick "on the road" stops.

The family: Family of 4. We're in our late 40's with twin 9 year old boys.

My windows to post may be sporadic, so I think it's best for me to post in installments, as I get the time. Like a mini-series. LOL

I'll do my best to keep you entertained and offer opinions for any that have questions.

ADDED: Here's a link to one segment of our home movie 2014 ARCHES VIDEO
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!
246 REPLIES 246

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
Bryce

Here I am waiting for the kids to catch their breath. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Very kind of you. They look exhausted!

๐Ÿ˜„
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

cjoseph
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome!

Please keep posting. Love the info and pics.

We are heading west next year and really appreciate your insights.

The DW and I have been west in our childless years. We had a very narrow window at each stop, did no hiking at Bryce and agree with you about Zion being the best.

We can't wait to get the kids there to see as much as we can squeeze in.

I wish I could keep it to 6,000 miles. The DW loves Yellowstone and is certain that we will not be able to go west again with the kids. SO, we are swinging north on the way home for quick stops at Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore and Devils Tower. We plan on 4 weeks too. Judging from your trip, if we have no mechanical breakdowns, those 3 days you spent on repairs may just do the trick for us on the northern swing. We have no intentions to stop until we are out west.
Chuck, Heidi, Jessica & Nicholas
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA

Crawfordville
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, wow, wow!! Loved reading about your journey. You're an excellent story teller. So happy for you and your family. Wonderful memories!!

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
An impressive travelogue I must say. Now you have to figure out what to do next summer.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Bryce

We spent just a day and a half at Bryce. That was probably just about right. We did a Ranger sunset rim walk. We went out to the far end and stayed until Midnight to watch the Milky Way move overhead. We hiked a combination loop including Queen's Garden, Peekaboo Loop and Navajo Trail up through Wall Street. We also made a quick trip over to Fairyland Canyon. A very busy day and a half, but don't think we missed anything that we wanted to see.

In hind sight, wish we would have taken the horse rides.

Saying that a day and a half was enough time, does not in any way diminish the impact of this park. It deserves a ranking among the very coolest places. The hike was certainly as memorable as any. For us, 90% of the impact of the park was because we went below the rim. Get down in it folks!

Here I am waiting for the kids to catch their breath. ๐Ÿ˜‰

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
RGar, it was tight. I'm big enough that it's tight for me even without the other three. But it has its trade offs, you know that from the popup. We came home immediately trying to sell it so we could upgrade. A larger concern than space, is getting something with a double axle. The safety factor and the added payload is really needed. Didn't get any bites. And now that its been a few months, the desire to sell has faded. It really does the job, particularly for 99% of our trips (shorter than 4 nights). We'll still try to sell in the spring when the market is hotter.

til, I'd be glad to give any input as you might need. I'm no expert, but I do have the perspective of a first timer.

tll
Explorer
Explorer
Excited to hear more. We are planning a trip this coming summer (end of July/beginning of August) to the Denver area, Moab, Grand Canyon, and Zion. Looks like two days at each area right now.
2015 Starcraft 299BHU
2011 Jayco X23J(sold)
2009 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent photo's and report.It must have been really tight with the 4 of yo in such a small camper.When our kids were young we often took my 2 nieces along in a pop up so we know what that's like.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Great pictures!

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
ZION Part 2:

Sorry that this is taking longer than I expected.

So, we also hiked the Overlook Trail. It's just outside the long east tunnel. Another favorite, and this one was short, easy, and to the point! Just my type. There were several areas that got a bit hairy with the heights though. This spot had a handrail, but all of them didn't.

Here I am, happy about going around a spot that didn't have enough room for a trail at all! So they build a walk around the cliff.

The payoff was BIG!

Came across this bighorn at Checkerboard Mesa.

So we got off trail for a bit and started just wandering...a few minutes later, came across this guy. A young buck.

Life on the road, we had to get the laundry done every 5-7 days. It never was a problem. By the time we needed it, we enjoyed being forced to stay around camp a little. Otherwise, we would have run ourselves exhausted. I used the trailer and the truck as tie points. Forgot how efficient air drying could be. Saved about $10 each time, and by the time lunch or dinner was done, so were the clothes.

We attended no less than 6-7 ranger programs! They were all great. Here we are at one under a historic cottonwood tree near the Zion lodge. Mid day, a little hot, so we found a shady spot to rest while someone else entertained the little guys!

The dump stations at the "Watchman" were probably the nicest we've seen anywhere. I really liked that the plugs were heavy concrete with a long iron handle. Also, the pit contained any mess. You could do the entire job feeling like you stayed clean.

In contrast to the Grand Canyon (which we cut short), we were all very sad to leave Zion, even after 5 days. The only thing that made it easier was curiosity of what would be coming around the bend! We will be back one day for sure, maybe next time I can work up the courage for Angel's Landing.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks 2gypsies! We work awfully hard at it. A labor of love. ๐Ÿ™‚

Michigansandzilla, In early summer, the water is usually low like you see. By the end of summer, I hear that folks hike it in waste to chest deep. We were lucky.

The water wasn't as cold as Appalachian streams, so we weren't bothered by the temperature. We swim in the streams here that turn your skin purple. LOL. We hiked in old tennis shoes. Not once did any of us regret it. Many people were wearing special rented shoes. I didn't see the need.

Locky, I'm a teacher, so likely don't make more monetarily. Not to be cliche', but I'm buried in riches having the time and the family to do these things with.

Locky
Explorer
Explorer
You definitely have a better paying job than myself lol. Its great looking at your pics.

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
How was it hiking through the water? What did you wear on your feet? I just have a feeling that wet feet would be uncomfortable all day and the kids would complain.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
Very good post and pics keep them coming Zoin looks like a place I'm putting on my bucket list.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
It is so neat to see the enthusiasm and happiness in everyone's faces!! You're a poster boy for a great parent!! I'm sure your wife is great, too. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel