cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tropical Storm Karen could close Topsail Hill St. Pk.

DAVES04RV
Explorer
Explorer
Since I have a two week reservation at Topsail Hill State Park Florida beginning Saturday 5th, I called the park this afternoon and ask would there be a possibility of campground closing due to Tropical Storm Karen. The park personnel said if it reaches Hurricane status (Category 1 74-95MPH sustain wind speed) will close campground. Since the Weather Channel said the storm could intensify Friday I decided to cancel Saturday and Sunday to avoid being stranded in the Destin area. That happened to me back in early 2000's in June that left us stranded one night in a hot school parking lot to wait out storm until campground opened.
David "enjoying retirement"
2006 Ford F250 V-10
2004 Airstream 25' Classic
13 REPLIES 13

cwill925
Explorer
Explorer
We're at Topsail now, leaving Saturday morning, one day early. We planned to leave Sunday but whatever the storm strength, it will be raining Sunday morning. The park staff was preparing for a shutdown earlier today, but still waiting for a call to see if there would be an evacuation. As of 7:00 pm Friday evening, Topsail is still open. The storm is still expected to affect the area late Saturday and early Sunday. Weather man says Sunday afternoon should be clear as Karen departs the area.
Chuck Williams
2015 Raptor 412-TS
2006 Freightliner M2-112 Sportchassis
BMW K1600 GTL, Honda Rebel or a Smart Car in the Toyhauler.

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
They are saying 60 mph winds just below hurricane strength! I would not chance being in line near this storm in an rv regardless of what kind! Safe is the best way to deal with this storm!
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody want to evacuate to south of Dothan, you can stay at my winter site. Send me a pm. lizzie

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I was evacuated from St. Andrews State Park twice in 2012 due to gulf storms. According to the park manager, if a Tropical Storm Warning (or hurricane) is issued, all Florida State Parks in the warning area are required to close and all campers and hosts are required to evacuate. The key word is "warning". If it is a warning, everyone leaves
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
This is Karen. Wish I could give you more info, but I'm the wrong Karen

MCDDY
Explorer
Explorer
It's called "Due Diligence" in lawyer talk. Call Shearling Lakes RV Park in Greenville, Al. and see if they have a site open for a couple of days. You might stay a week though.

Good Luck
Dave
GEAUX TIGERS

Dave, Miss Sue & Lucy the Scotty
Big Easy Area.
FMCA 153192
2000 Monaco Windsor, 40' 2 Slide, ISC 350 HP.
2012 Honda Pilot or 1998 Blazer Toads
Aventa 2, Brake Buddy

car2900
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently here at Topsail but will be leaving this morning. Yesterday afternoon the rangers were not too concerned yet but were monitoring the forecast closely. Fortunately we are leaving only one day early to avoid all the rain. Two weeks ago when we arrived it rained the first three days. On top of all the rain they have had in this area all summer, the beach at Topsail is not in very good shape. The overflow from the inland lakes have breached the dunes and flowed into the ocean which has made a mess on the beach. Hopefully mother nature will clean it up before next spring when we return.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40 AH
2010 Chevy HHR toad
Blue Ox Avail - SMI AF-1

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, we usually come down right at the time of year this storm is expected to hit. However this year we decided to just visit the Smokies for a week. Must be an Angel watching out for us.

okiejules
Explorer
Explorer
We are also in Gulf Shores - waiting to see what happens. Being this is our first time to be in a situation like this....I think we will probably pack up and head out in the morning and go north for a couple of days - then come back for the Shrimp Festival!

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
you dont want to be in it even if it is just a TS. Local flooding and downed power lines are always a pain.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Your better to be safe. Sorry about the trip

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
The reports I've seen just expect a rain event. Too much dry air and wind sheer in the northern Gulf. But you never know.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Good safe decision.

There will be other times.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel