Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water system for boondocking

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tito DIY blog just posted a blog on this very subject: Tito DIY Blog

He has a system that look pretty good to me, I was skeptical about using a drill pump but the one he shows emptied a 5 gal container in 2 minutes. The ones I've used in the past would not move that much as rapidly. Those 5 gal containers he shows are a very good deal right now, $5 each. I just ordered 4 with $8 shipping. The cubitainers on Amazon are more in the $10 each range so even with the shipping that is a good deal. I don't know if they are running a special, knowing about his blog, because their other smaller containers cost more than $5. So if you are interested I'd go and grab them right away.

That tube he stuck into the water tank at the end of the hose is from Camco $4, called a water tank filler.

That blog is pretty good in general and worth subscribing to, he seems to do an entry a week.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
32 REPLIES 32

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Why can't one use the water pump built into their RV?

1. Install a tee valve on it's input with a 25 ft. (or shorter, as needed) piece of the clear, small diameter, potable water flexible tubing coiled up and stored right next to where the water pump is. Normally the tee valve would of course would be turned so as to direct the pump input to the RV's freshwater tank.

2. To replenish the RV fresh water tank, turn the tee valve handle to the other position so the water pump would draw water through this piece of clear tubing that you had running into whatever tank your had your extra water stored in.

3. Now temporarily screw onto a sink faucet in the RV a piece of potable water hose (white color?) that could reach outside into the RV's fresh water fill opening.

4. Turn on the water pump and fill the RV's fresh water until it's full or until the extra water tank runs out.

Wala ... make use of the existing high quality water pump built into the RV that is already prewired with an ON/OFF switch and that is powered by the RV's batteries!
. Weve done this, a longer hose for pumping pink into extra water jug outdoor shower into tank fill. Pump switch, everything in the outdoor shower, water hook up cabinet. Only thing needed was a longer hose on the winterizing side of the valve normally used for pumping anti freeze.

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Turkey cooker oil pump!! Uses 2 D cells, last a long time, empties a 7 gal blue container in 5-7 minutes!! Fairly cheap on ePrey!!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
For water transfer I would buy a potable water pump same as you have in the RV and skip the drill+pump. Worst case you will have a spare for the RV if needed.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
az, if my "water delivery system" requires anti-inflammatory drugs for my back, I'm switching to a pump! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Or there is always the caveman way -- fill your five gallon jug at a faucet, lug it back to your campsite, and dump it into the fill spout using a funnel. Lots of great exercise, no need for electricity or equipment. Fast, too!

Any day now, my lower back is going to tell me that this method is no longer recommended! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thats what they made meloxicam for Newbee stuff

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I just pull my water from jugs or a 60 gallonn bladder with my winterizing valve. I can pull from the bladder or dump it back into my fresh tank through a by pass ball valve that I installed when adding a pressure tank

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
And in case anyone is intending to point out that there are no faucets out in the boonies, I should add that we carry our jerry cans in the truck. After a day of hiking, we sometimes stop at a ranger station and (with permission) fill the cans. The truck does the hard work of carrying the cans back to the campsite.

But I still have to lift each one up and pour it into the fill port, hoping not to get DW too wet. (She's the one holding the funnel, standing bravely in the line of fire.)
About our trailer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or there is always the caveman way -- fill your five gallon jug at a faucet, lug it back to your campsite, and dump it into the fill spout using a funnel. Lots of great exercise, no need for electricity or equipment. Fast, too!

Any day now, my lower back is going to tell me that this method is no longer recommended! ๐Ÿ˜‰
About our trailer

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
I brought extra water once but never used it. I was considering adding it to my fresh tank, but was concerned it wouldn't fit in the gray tank.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why can't one use the water pump built into their RV?

1. Install a tee valve on it's input with a 25 ft. (or shorter, as needed) piece of the clear, small diameter, potable water flexible tubing coiled up and stored right next to where the water pump is. Normally the tee valve would of course would be turned so as to direct the pump input to the RV's freshwater tank.

2. To replenish the RV fresh water tank, turn the tee valve handle to the other position so the water pump would draw water through this piece of clear tubing that you had running into whatever tank your had your extra water stored in.

3. Now temporarily screw onto a sink faucet in the RV a piece of potable water hose (white color?) that could reach outside into the RV's fresh water fill opening.

4. Turn on the water pump and fill the RV's fresh water until it's full or until the extra water tank runs out.

Wala ... make use of the existing high quality water pump built into the RV that is already prewired with an ON/OFF switch and that is powered by the RV's batteries!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
I have one similar to this Transfer pump

I have had terrible luck with anything electrical from HF, one example being a 1/2 cordless drill that would barely operate ONE stabilizer jack before flatlining. But I saw someone saying he carried a spare water pump for the RV and used that as a transfer pump.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I made an extension cord assembly to plug into 12 volt receptacle. I have also used my jump start battery pack.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:

Oh yeah, and "Honey, can you unlatch and bring that battery from the truck? I need it to pump water.";)

And I'm very thoughtful, I put a carrying handle on the battery.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm interested on the drill pump and in fact ordering one now.

I was thinking of water bladder that I can load on the back of my SUV but have not gone into doing it simply because we have experienced needing one. We must be water wise although both of us shower daily, lol.