cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Watkins Glen state park or Cape Cod

JustinL
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for a place to get away to for only four or five days in the north east. I've narrowed it down to either watkins glen state park or cape cod national park, has anyone been to one or both and have opinions?

Thank you.
12 REPLIES 12

Kentucky_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
We really enjoyed Watkins Glen and the Corning museum. Our site was very tight though and our unit was only 26'.

livelylittlecam
Explorer
Explorer
We spent twelve days in the Finger Lakes and visited Watkins Glen (but did not camp there) last summer. There are pictures and posts up on our blog if you want to click below and scroll down to the posts from last summer.

Watkins Glen is really beautiful--don't miss Buttermilk Falls either smaller but just as lovely.

Best--Jeremy

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I've been to both & I'd probably choose Watkins Glen rather than fighting the traffic getting out on the cape, however you might also consider Ricketts Glen State Park in PA, about 2 hours south of Watkins Glen. Some beautiful hiking opportunities among the 22 waterfalls. Some of my visits to Ricketts Glen.

JustinL
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions! Most people seem to be for Watkins Glen and after researching more too that's where were gonna go. We're going the end of June, and our RV is only 22ft so never really problem fitting anywhere.

Thank you!

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
If you come to the Cape, make sure you have reservations! It's a great place but so are the Finger Lakes.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

homedad
Explorer
Explorer
Been to both. My bias is always for the ocean. However if it's post July 4 I'd probably opt for NY. I really hate crowds.

Norskeman
Explorer
Explorer
I too live close to the finger lakes area. You would like the area if you have not been there before.

There is a Wine event on Seneca Lake in June (5,6,9)
There is a six hour race at the track the end of June (28,29,30) We camp at the racetrack when we go to the reces. The race track is about 5 miles out of the town.

If you go to Watkins Glen State park the size of your unit may make it difficult to get into. We have a 34' fifth wheel and I no longer camp there - just too hard to park it. Your camping pass will get you into any of the state parks during your stay. So - - you could stay at any of the State Parks around Watkins Glen and make a day trip over to Watkins Glen to do the gorge walk and checkout the town.

We stay at Sampson State Park, Keuka Lake State Park or Cayuga State Park because it is easier to get our RV into and if it is hot (80s or 90s) out we can run the AC.

All of the sites at Sampson have 30 amp service boxes, about 1/3 of Keuka have 30 amp service boxes and Cayuga has an area of about 50 campsites that have 30 amp service boxes.

All reservations for NY state parks is through: http://www.reserveamerica.com

Let me know through a PM if you want more info on the parks and area.
2017 Keystone Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I live near the Finger Lakes. Watkins is nice, just don't go on a race weekend. Letchworth SP is also nice. If you go, check out the Corning Museum of Glass along with the wineries. For aviation buffs there's the Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport.

We've also been to Cape Cod and will be spending a week there later this summer. The Cape Cod Rail Trail has some nice, easy bicycling. And we plan on a whale watch trip out of P-town and salt marsh canoe trip from the Salt Pond Visitors Center.

But coming from NJ for 4-5 days I'd opt for the Finger Lakes IMHO.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Just because of the drive Watkins Glen.

No way I'd head North.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Then again, it's very difficult to beat a summer day on the beaches of Cape Cod!!!!! Come on over!
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

nypatnva
Explorer
Explorer
You might like to try SAMPSON STATE PARK farther up Seneca Lake, also near the wineries.
2016 dodge ram
champion generator 1978 Serro Scotty Highlander (restored)

danoren
Explorer
Explorer
I have been in both , it is difficult to chose but I would go to Watkins Glen S.P in fingers lake NY http://nysparks.com/parks/142
It is one of the most beautiful parks in great area,so much to see including wineries,waterfalls and water sport.
F-350 ,2006,XLT,SD,LB,EC,6.0LT,Auto,SRW.
5W Cruiser 2006 CF29CK Crossroad
RVing 4-5 months every summer since 2002.
P.A,Escapee club memeber,TomTom Go 5606
Website