cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fridge fans

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
I had a computer fan blowing air from the bottom of cooler unit but last week it died. I started up the fridge on monday and Wednesday I went to check it is was in low 50's so I changed to propane thought it would cool better and went in yesterday to load it was at 60. It was 105 outside and 100 in the fiver.I have a 9 inch house fan that I put in the compartment for a temp fix and got it to drop to 42 within 3 hours.The fans work so what I would like to know where to get a couple good quality fans to put in there for a permanate fix that will last a few years. Thanks
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn
18 REPLIES 18

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Enough of the bickering! OP has his answer. Thread closed.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
penguin747 wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
foolofsand wrote:
already got a frig fan on ebay, I am going to run the hot down the drain tube to get the hot wire. does anyone know where there is a hot wire on the outside of the frig in the back? thanks. pics?
At the risk of being flippant, buy a meter and find it yourself. You shouldn't be fiddling with that stuff without SOMETHING to check your work. DVM's are less than $10 at Harbor Freight
The guy was simply asking for pics. Don't understand why some of you bear down fellow campers
He wasn't 'simply' looking for pix, he was asking where to hook up, AND possibly pics. If anyone is asking where to find voltage by identifying a wire color in a maze of wires, especially in the back of the fridge they are looking for trouble, you don't see that? If he has a meter he can find what he's looking for before he can read this thread. If you think he's better off looking at pictures vs. using a meter, then mebbe u should answer his question.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

kyle86
Explorer
Explorer
Why can't you wire it into the hot for the light bulb?

I have a fridge fan with 2 wires but unsure where to run for power as well. How do you even get the wires out of the food compartment unless you wire to the light bulb?

Sprig
Explorer
Explorer
foolofsand wrote:
u didnt read my post. i said i was running the fan wire down the drain tube which means i have a small computer fan in the fridge. no one mentioned anything
about vent fans.

ps..the ground wire is attached to the fan which is attached to the cooling
fins in the fridge...

I read your first posts, and I was supposed to know the above details exactly how?

If the cooling fins in your fridge are a good ground, and I've never had reason to test such, then good for you.

If you want to partially clog your drain tube with a "hot" wire (which on my RV the drain tube goes OUTSIDE the RV, NOT to the back of the refer) instead of providing information for others, like me, to find a more friendly source of power and ground... GO FOR IT!:E

foolofsand
Explorer
Explorer
u didnt read my post. i said i was running the fan wire down the drain tube which means i have a small computer fan in the fridge. no one mentioned anything
about vent fans.

ps..the ground wire is attached to the fan which is attached to the cooling
fins in the fridge.

pps...i have a meter, im just getting responses before i act.

Sprig
Explorer
Explorer
jjj wrote:
...I have a 9 inch house fan that I put in the compartment for a temp fix and got it to drop to 42 within 3 hours.The fans work so what I would like to know where to get a couple good quality fans to put in there for a permanate fix that will last a few years...

I'd really like to see a photo of your temporary fan setup.

I'm also curious what the interior temps were before adding the 9 inch house fan "into the compartment".

Optimally, the refer air flow should vent out of the top of the roof of the RV; not introducing any additional heat to the interior living area of the RV.

It all just depends on your actual physical situation to be able to recommend a more permanent solution.

Sprig
Explorer
Explorer
foolofsand wrote:
already got a frig fan on ebay, I am going to run the hot down the drain tube to get the hot wire. does anyone know where there is a hot wire on the outside of the frig in the back? thanks. pics?

At the risk of being flippant, I am wondering where the ground wire termination location will be determined without a meter. :h :h :h

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
As for where to get power.

Depends on your fridge.
Could be right there inside food compartment
Could be on a terminal block in outside compartment
Could be on the control/power module.

Post your own thread with fridge info...what you want to do and folks will respond.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
foolofsand wrote:
At the risk of being flippant, buy a meter and find it yourself. You shouldn't be fiddling with that stuff without SOMETHING to check your work. DVM's are less than $10 at Harbor Freight
Jeff - WA6EQU

foolofsand
Explorer
Explorer

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
how much heat does a fridge generate when the burner is off? does the fan need to run all the time, or can it wire into the burner relay?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest you get a blower motor fan like this one

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/PMB1275PNB1-AY.%282%29.GN/259-1365-ND/1021214

Additionally to reduce fan speed / noise when not needed get a nice adjustable PWM speed controller - The ones on Ebay for $5.00 or so work great

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
All Electronics is in Van Nuys and open on the weekends. They have a wide selection of sizes, volume/ current, voltage, and guards for all sizes.
Jeff - WA6EQU

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
A few sources for good prices on good fans:
bgmicro.com ... allelectronics.com ... mpja.com ... www.goldmine-elec-products.com
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed