cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED light strip adhesive

btcruzer
Explorer
Explorer
I've read quite a bit here about people saying the adhesive on the chinese led strips not working well. Many suggest using "REAL" 3M double sided tape --- Okay, that's what I want. where do I get it? Any tape made that narrow? Gotta buy a wider roll and split it? How about hot glue, I've read of some using that?

I'm wanting to attach the light strip to a plastic strip below my awning.
The Good Times are Coming !
15 REPLIES 15

DarthMuffin
Explorer
Explorer
You can get the 3M tape from WalMart or just about any automotive store. You want 1/2" automotive molding or trim tape.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-Super-Strength-Molding-Tape-1-2-x-5/16913678

Auto stores usually have bigger rolls, at 5' you may need to buy a few from WalMart.

Wipe down the area with alcohol, put on the molding tape, peel back the outside protective layer, do the same to the LED strip and stick it on. A year and a half now for mine, holding fine through snow and summer desert temperatures.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I found that clear silicone sealant works great. I installed my 18 foot strip under the awning about a year ago with silicone and my wife's help. It is still in good shape. You really need two people to hold it in place as you go so that it has a little time to stick. The LED roll I bought had no adhesive at all on it.

0rion
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
0rion wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
btcruzer wrote:
So, do you do anything to remove the original adhesive from the light strip?

x2 on this... If folks are leaving the original tape on,then it's really what's doing the work.

My Chinese 3M tape seems to be holding better than the Gorilla tape I used to cover the pass through hole.

not really....the 3m tape will still be doing the work if you use it. It'll be what's grabbing the original tape not the other way around. I'm not sure if it's needed or not....I just wasn't taking any chances because the Chinese have been known to skimp on a few things. ๐Ÿ˜„
but what's holding the led strip itself?

good point....I would still think that tape to light seal would be much better than the tape to RV seal. Guess I'll just have to cross that bridge when I come to it.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
0rion wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
btcruzer wrote:

x2 on this... If folks are leaving the original tape on,then it's really what's doing the work.

My Chinese 3M tape seems to be holding better than the Gorilla tape I used to cover the pass through hole.

not really....the 3m tape will still be doing the work if you use it. It'll be what's grabbing the original tape not the other way around. I'm not sure if it's needed or not....I just wasn't taking any chances because the Chinese have been known to skimp on a few things. ๐Ÿ˜„
but what's holding the led strip itself?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

coachjeff
Explorer
Explorer
I installed some a few weeks ago and it did not stick well. I caulked all the edges with clear exterior grade silicone caulking. held for 2 trips so far!
Me, Wife, 4 kids and a dog
2016 Surveyor 265RLDS
2012 Chevy 3/4 Ton Suburban 4 wheel drive.

0rion
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
btcruzer wrote:

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
btcruzer wrote:

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
3M makes about 50 different double sided adhesive products, many for industry. Look at the 3M VHB (Very High Bond) line, not commonly sold in stores but available from sources like McMaster Car. Available in different widths and sizes. Very strong stuff.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

btcruzer
Explorer
Explorer
The Good Times are Coming !

edsland
Explorer
Explorer
I cleaned area good with alcohol used the tape that came on it. Then I put a seam of clear silicon calk along the edge on both sides. I smoothed it along wth my finger. Once it set seems to be doing great, I just got back from a 120 mile trip. Nothing moved.

kgarrett9999
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed my LED strip lights over the weekend and have already noticed spots that aren't "stuck" good. Walmart and Home Depot carry the 3M tape, so I think I'm going to invest in some. Wish I had done that in the first place, but oh well, I'll get the job done.

danager
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed my LED strip under my awning this past Friday. I only used the adhesive that was on there. I am thinking it will not last all that long. I have a partial role of the 3M tape, left over from other projects. I would not use the grey tape though, it will stand out because of the colour and thickness. I will instead use clear "gel" tape.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what I did...looped a zip tie around it and behind the fixture inside...worked great. White zip tie - can't even see it when the lens is back on the light.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Kafn8td
Explorer
Explorer
When I saw mine wagging in the wind going down the freeway, I pulled over and zip tied it to the awning arm until I got to the campground. I cleaned everything up with alcohol and used the only thing I had in the trailer...liquid nails silicone and duct tape. LOL

Once the silicone dried I pulled off the duct tape and it has been good ever since.