cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Maxxair vents covers-worth it?

drmopar
Explorer
Explorer
Keep seeing some RV's with Maxxair/Maxxair II vent covers. How well do they work? Reduced airflow? Rain or water leaks? Installation issues? Thanks in advance.
41 REPLIES 41

RE_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
Your standard vent cover is not designed to stay open going down the road. That's why I have the Fantastic covers so I can leave them open all the time!
TinBenders
2002 Jeep Wrangler
39.5's, Atlas, D60's.

2014 Thor Chateau 35SK.
BTW, It's a Super C!!

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dusty,
I had one of those on our previous trailer. We loved it! It moved a ton of air and was very quiet which was great as it was in our bedroom.
They no longer make that model as far as I know so I would suggest searching for TurboMaxx on many RV supply sites and perhaps you could fine someone who still has it in stock.
Found a place!
Don't know if the ad is still good but would be worth a call! It says it is in stock and free shipping to boot! ๐Ÿ™‚
Good luck!
Barney
Edit: Here is another one.I think this one is without the thermostat but still 3 speed.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
Fire Instructor wrote:
I installed a MaxAir cover over my automatic FantasticFan, and had to take it off. The lid on the fantastic fan hit the underside of the MaxAir dome and wouldn't allow it to completely open. Since it wouldn't completely open, the limit switch on the fan wouldn't allow the fan to run. Removed the MaxAir dome and replaced it with a FantasticFan dome, and it works fine.

That is strange. I have two Fantastic Fans with the Model 800 Fan Mate covers and the fans work perfectly. Yes, the lids do hit the underside of the MaxAir dome but the fans work just fine. They open and close just as they were designed to do. On mine, the motor starts/stops running just as the fan lid leaves/reaches the bottom and is ready to seal. Perhaps your limit switch is positioned a bit differently than mine.
Barney

Here is the one I have(bottom one).

We had one like pictured, in our old mh that we traded in, but the fan and motor was at the outlet of the hood. Anyone know where we can get one like that.

Dusty

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes the lid stops moving when it hits the top of the cover but the fan continues to run. I like those new ones that you can open. I have to take mine off everytime I want to clean under it.
Barney
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
The new Maxx Air Fan Mate 955 like this is taller and I have no problem with my Fantastic Fan,which BTW the cover is designed to stop when it hits anything. I like the clips,they make it easy to open and clean the vent cover.

955 Maxx Air
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fire Instructor wrote:
I installed a MaxAir cover over my automatic FantasticFan, and had to take it off. The lid on the fantastic fan hit the underside of the MaxAir dome and wouldn't allow it to completely open. Since it wouldn't completely open, the limit switch on the fan wouldn't allow the fan to run. Removed the MaxAir dome and replaced it with a FantasticFan dome, and it works fine.

That is strange. I have two Fantastic Fans with the Model 800 Fan Mate covers and the fans work perfectly. Yes, the lids do hit the underside of the MaxAir dome but the fans work just fine. They open and close just as they were designed to do. On mine, the motor starts/stops running just as the fan lid leaves/reaches the bottom and is ready to seal. Perhaps your limit switch is positioned a bit differently than mine.
Barney

Here is the one I have(bottom one).
Not towing now.

Fire_Instructor
Explorer
Explorer
Fire Instructor

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
They are great. I could keep the vent open 24/7 while the trailer was stored in the back yard, so there was always some air movement. And while driving I could have it open, too; don't try that with an unprotected vent cranked open or you could break off the lid.

I first put one on when my vent lid decayed from UV exposure (after about 4 years). A cracking lid that goes undetected could leak into the trailer, but a vent cover helps protect the trailer from potential leaks while it prolongs the life of the lid.

X2
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

whit
Explorer
Explorer
My coach gets hot in the summer when stored. It's nice to let out some of that heat and get fresh air in. Especially with the cover on!
Mike

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
SkiingSixPack wrote:
They do not screw into the roof, there is a bolt that gets drilled horizontally into the frame of the existing vent. They work great.

Unfortunately, there are some installers (both back yard and rv service) that will install them straight into the roof material, and then dicor over the screwheads.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

freewayrandy
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I'd save a few bucks and bought the Camcos'. Junk! Thin plastic that the sun ate them up. Cracked at the mounting points and lost two of them on the road. Have Maxxair now. Much thicker material.
2022 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison, 2024 Cougar 27SGS

SkiingSixPack
Explorer
Explorer
They do not screw into the roof, there is a bolt that gets drilled horizontally into the frame of the existing vent. They work great.
My better half
DS-18,DD-17,DS-15,DS-15 (4 teenagers, in da house)
Summit Red Sunshine-4
Brandy Red Sunshine-At the bridge

The greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,
It's very easy just...

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
bguy wrote:
Get ones with removable screens. The Maxair ones on my trailer do not and it's a pain when you want to clean the vent domes.

Just get the Maxx Air 2 just pull the pin and it swings open to clean the vent cover.

Times two - that's what I have as well. Being able to open and clean out is very handy.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

thomasgunnar
Explorer
Explorer
Plus they look cooler than just the standard vent cover. We have them on our three vents.
Chris
2003 F350 CC,4x4,6.0,Zoodad, 3 Pod Pillar Gauges, Sinister Coolant Filter, Scangauge II, Blue Spring Kit
2006 Jayco Eagle 301RLS 33'