cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

wire for 30 A

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to have a friend, who is an electrician wire me a 30 A receptacle for my TT. From the breaker box to the new recetacle will be @5 feet, then my TT 25' cord.
I just found some 10 AWG multi strand in two different colors. Is this going to be any good, or not?
Thanks for your help.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo
15 REPLIES 15

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm with Tucson Jim... 10 AWG stranded is just fine. When I built my rv garage, I used #6 AWG stranded for 50amp service from my house CB panel to the sub CB panel in the garage. From there I ran #10 stranded up and over and down the other side of the garage (about 75') for the 30amp outlet that I use to keep the motor home batteries charged and to use items in the motor home when needed.

I had contacted the building inspector prior to using this wire (it also was some left over stuff I had stored) and he said it would pass code easily.

I've found that most states have pretty much the same building codes when it comes to the electrical. That said however, you should contact your local building inspector and get the correct answer from him/her.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Individual conductors are used in conduit. If you are going to run with out conduit then you could use 10/2 with ground Romex.
If using conduit whether it is rigid or flex you can run either stranded or solid, one white #10, one black #10 and one #12 green

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
I will certainly remind him about 120, not 240. Thx.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
2011 4x8 open cargo

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure he knows this is to be a 120 volt circuit not a 240 volt circuit. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
I think, before I plugged in the trailer for the first time, that I'd take my voltmeter out and test it myself first.

x2. Double check to make sure it's wired properly.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
There is no prohibition in the National Electrical Code from using stranded wire of sufficient ampacity as long as it's copper. The code does require solid wire if it's aluminum. You are also prohibited from using stranded wire of any type in screwless terminals. You find these kind of terminals on the back of some switches and outlets where you can push the wire in instead of screwing it in.

Most people use solid wire because it's less expensive than stranded. In fact, stranded wire is sometimes used in conduit systems because it's easier to pull.

If you already have this wire and it's 10AWG, by all means use it for a 30A circuit.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
2nd that on instructions to electrician that it is a 120 volt receptacle. They are used to wiring 220 volt 30 amp receptacles for water heaters, clothes dryers, washing machines, and such around homes. But a 120 volt 30 amp one for an RV is another matter entirely, very rare, and many people have found them wired for the common 220 volt in error.

I think, before I plugged in the trailer for the first time, that I'd take my voltmeter out and test it myself first. 'Course, I woulda wired it myself, too.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
As noted above, make sure your friend understands it's a 120 volt, 30a "RV" receptacle, and NOT 220 VOLTS. It will have one 120v hot, one neutral, and one ground. Several reports on this forum of electricians assuming it's a 220v receptacle because it looks similar. 220 will fry a lot of expensive stuff.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
dockmasterdave wrote:
Thanks for a good consensus. I'll throw the spools of wire back up on a shelf for something else.

Take heart - that 10 gauge wire can also be used in 12 volt applications that require 10-20 amps. You might still find a home for that wire. ๐Ÿ™‚
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

YamaDooed
Explorer
Explorer
Stranded #10 thhn wire is fine actually most would be better than solid wire. As for colors you'll need a white and a green or tape to make the wires white and green.

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for a good consensus. I'll throw the spools of wire back up on a shelf for something else.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
2011 4x8 open cargo

cjalphonso
Explorer
Explorer
Agree, no stranded only solid conductor.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Terminals may not be rated for stranded. No need to save 10 cents by using surplus wire. Have your friend bring the right stuff. Yes it is #10, 30 amp SINGLE breaker, 120 volts.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
i hope your friend does not wire it 220 as others on here has had done by a electrician