cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3/4 v 1 ton 4x4 Keystone Montana

diver110
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking in terms of a Keystone Montana. I have not yet purchased the TV. It is much easier to find a used 3/4 ton, but they look a little marginal for hitch weight. I know it depends on how big the 5th wheel is, but is a 3/4 ton viable for the Montana line?
59 REPLIES 59

MrVan
Explorer
Explorer
Atom Ant wrote:
MrVan wrote:
Allworth wrote:
There is no such thing as "too much truck"!

I think.you.will find out that the front end of the 5-th wheel will get damaged by too stiff of springs on the tow vehicles!
Really? So these rigs behind a Peterbuilt are all busted up?

Have you checked?

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
MrVan wrote:
Allworth wrote:

I think.you.will find out that the front end of the 5-th wheel will get damaged by too stiff of springs on the tow vehicles!
Really? So these rigs behind a Peterbuilt are all busted up?
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

MrVan
Explorer
Explorer
richfaa wrote:
Don't know why this discussion comes up over and over again..
. Take the specs from the truck sticker. Take the spec's from the RV sticker and do the math. Of course the real weights are with the truck and camper weighed ready to pull to . Pin weight is the most overlooked and miss understood spec .Understand the numbers and the answer is obvious...No alibies, no excuses.

Do you suppose there might be new RV owners who have this question?

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
MrVan wrote:
Allworth wrote:

Too much truck , damage to fifth wheel, if that was the concern, go air ride pin box or air ride hitch or both.

beetle1
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2013 39' Montana out on the road behind a new 2012 dodge dually diesel for about 3500 miles to date and about 3000 more miles to go in 2014. 5er weight is about 15,000 + as loaded. NO PROBLEMS. Did have a 36' 16K+ Mobile Suite for 8 years behind a 3/4 ton, DANGEROUS! Never went to far from home thank goodness. Duals equal stability in wind and swerves on the big roads, etc. not to mention weight in the bed.

MrVan
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know why this discussion comes up over and over again..
. Take the specs from the truck sticker. Take the spec's from the RV sticker and do the math. Of course the real weights are with the truck and camper weighed ready to pull to . Pin weight is the most overlooked and miss understood spec .Understand the numbers and the answer is obvious...No alibies, no excuses.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
All I can add is this: the beauty of RVing is that you can bring everything with you. While I thought we traveled "light" - on our way home from FL, fully loaded with fuel in the truck and propane in the 5er and some water in the FW tank, we ran the truck/5er combo over the CAT scales - and I was astonished to see that our "dry weight #7700" 5er had grown to just over #10,000. It's not a problem - our 5er has the capacity and the truck has the oomph. I'm just amazed at how much weight a "ready for a week of travel" trailer really carries.

Go big.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
Atom Ant wrote:
ah64id wrote:
REM13 wrote:
I went the 3/4 ton route in 2007 and realized quickly that I made the wrong choice. I now own a 2012 3500 SRW and would not consider another 3/4 ton no matter the size of unit. I suggest at minimum a 3500 SRW diesel.

What is your basis for thinking you made the wrong choice?

Your 2007 3/4 ton and 2012 1 ton have the same frame, brakes, axles (assume 2007 was diesel), wheel and tire rating.

The only difference is the rear springs are 7% stiffer on the 2012 vs the 2007, the rest is identical.

On EDIT: I just realized I made the assumption your 2007 was a Dodge.

Not sure why you still want to prove a point! Who cares? The guy was buying a new truck and doesn't have to justify a 3/4, he can get what he needs the first time ๐Ÿ™‚

Did I ask you? And you obviously care.

He said he quicky (IMHO 5 model years difference isn't quickly) realize he made a mistake, but didn't explain why. It was a simple question asked of someone else, do you need to asnwer?
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
ah64id wrote:
REM13 wrote:
I went the 3/4 ton route in 2007 and realized quickly that I made the wrong choice. I now own a 2012 3500 SRW and would not consider another 3/4 ton no matter the size of unit. I suggest at minimum a 3500 SRW diesel.

Your 2007 3/4 ton and 2012 1 ton have the same frame, brakes, axles (assume 2007 was diesel), wheel and tire rating.

The only difference is the rear springs are 7% stiffer on the 2012 vs the 2007, the rest is identical.

Not sure why you still want to prove a point! Who cares? The guy was buying a new truck and doesn't have to justify a 3/4, he can get what he needs the first time ๐Ÿ™‚
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
REM13 wrote:

-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

REM13
Explorer
Explorer

LostinAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicate

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
up2nogood wrote:

Regardless of just the springs, this argument has been made for years, but the fact remains the payload in most case is higher on the 1 ton, have read for years guys trying to justify that fact towing with a 3/4 ton. Door stickers tell everything you want to know.

They are different from 1 ton SRW trucks because if they weren't they wouldn't sell one or the other.

Why do you think there have been years that dodge and GM didn't sell 3500 SRW trucks? They aren't any more capable than 2500's with the same drivetrain. There are some instances where they are, but generally they aren't. The biggest differences are found on the base engine 2500's to SRW 3500, but with the optional diesel or big gasser the drivetrain doesn't change.

They brought them back for perception, the door jam is as much as many know about it.

Personally I have a SRW 3500 because it had the option I wanted in a used truck, but I know the physical differences and the ratings that matter.
-John