cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to put load on generator?

RVpullinGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I had to replace the carburetor on my generator last year so have been starting and running it every 2-3 weeks for 30 minutes this winter. "They" say we should put a load on it when doing this.

What is the best way to put a load on the generator while running it during the winter in order to keep the carburetor cleaned out from all that crappy gas?

Thanks!
RVpullinGuy
2006 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison CC SB
2005 Sierra T28 Toy Hauler
RZR XP41K, YamRaptor700, KawiKFX700, (2)Hon400Ex, Hon250EX, SuzLT80
17 REPLIES 17

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
lincster wrote:
A/C is all you need to turn on.
Its Utah, not Mesa. The OP's A/C wont even let him turn it on when its 12 degrees out.

Oh yeah. You poor cold folks....... LOL
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

BigDogF250
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking for that little something extra you already have in the house to add load... Bring a hair dryer or two. At 1200-1800 watts each they can easily add more load and you probably own 1 or 2 already.

Was just reading the forecast for the Green Bay game, -17 is the expected temp. Does a genny even start at that temp? I know my cranky diesel in the F250 wouldn't like it.
Don't take life too seriously, it's not permanent.
06 Weekend Warrior FSC3200, Axles flipped, Bridgestone Duravis Tires
2005 Ford F250 PSD 4x4
07 Yamaha YZF450 White/Silver, 94 Husqvarna WXC610
2008 Polaris RZR 800, 2011 Honda CBR1000RR & one Goffin Cockatoo

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:
Its Utah, not Mesa. The OP's A/C wont even let him turn it on when its 12 degrees out.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

whp4262
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't run the A/C in the winter either, not real good for the compressor. A space heater or two would be a better option.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I may be alone here but the manual for my Onan says to exercise once a month. After only 22 years I had something plug up the low speed jet and had to rebuild the carb. I use Stabil and once in awhile run some Sea Foam while were camping.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

RVpullinGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the great replies. I think the space heater and TV are the best options for me, as I don't have water in the WH and I don't have a heat pump. I'll be able to exercise the genny and keep the crappy gas from fouling up my carburetor.

I use Stabil gas treament but still want to run the genny every 2-3 weeks.
RVpullinGuy
2006 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison CC SB
2005 Sierra T28 Toy Hauler
RZR XP41K, YamRaptor700, KawiKFX700, (2)Hon400Ex, Hon250EX, SuzLT80

Y-Guy
wildtoad wrote:
1,500 watt heater (or 2).

This is what I do, I have my outlets identified for which run on separate circuits. I head over and crank things up, plug them in and do some cleaning while the heaters and generator do their thing. At least twice during the winter, weather permitting, I take our RV out for a drive - but not necessary with a trailer.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
1,500 watt heater (or 2).
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
IOWASTROKER wrote:
Do NOT run water heater on electric mode without water...which is impossible to do during the Winter months. 1 or 2 electric heaters are the easiest and fastest way to "load" it. Happy New Year.

I 'forget' as a FTr some folks have to winterize and don't have water in WH.
It's not 'impossible'. We always have water regardless of weather/temps :B

Use the WH electric ONLY when you have water in WH!!!!!!!!!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

IOWASTROKER
Explorer
Explorer
Do NOT run water heater on electric mode without water...which is impossible to do during the Winter months. 1 or 2 electric heaters are the easiest and fastest way to "load" it. Happy New Year.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Exercising Gen is to warm/dry out rotor/windings and to flow fuel thru carb
but more so for gen to get rid of any moisture

Load it up by using water heater on electric, fridge on electric, space heater(s), A/C Unit etc......the more the better. Run for 30 minutes.

Gasoline.......use a 'stabilizer' to extend life of gasoline.
Stabil or SeaFoam
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Taco
Explorer
Explorer
when you are done using the generator if you have the option of turning the fuel off to the carburetor and letting it run itself out of gas it doesn't leave any fuel in the carb to cause problems. Make sure you don't have anything running off the generator while you are running it out of fuel.

I sometimes use fuel treatments but as long as you run the float bowl empty you should not have major problems.

As far as a load I use a space heater. Exercising it has more to do with the generator head than keeping the carb clean.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
space heater, and treat that crappie gas. it ain,t to late. sea foam is my choice.