cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't See to Hitch Up

New to 5th wheeling.

Just got hitch installed in 2015 Chevy 2500HD, Crew Cab, Short Bed. When sitting in driver's seat and looking in either mirror or directly out back window I cannot see the hitch. So how do I hitch up?

Anyone have a recommended technique or alignment aids you use to overcome this?

Thanks
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
44 REPLIES 44

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
I have a back flip roll up top and when hitching up I cannot see my hitch. I bought a set of those yellow balls on expanding poles that they sell for hooking up bumper pulls. I put one on the extreme front center edge of the hitch plate. The other at the center edge of the pin. I line up the balls and back up. The ball on the plate falls off and bingo easy as pie. They cost about $20.00.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

stetwood
Explorer
Explorer
Goostoff wrote:
Practice makes perfect. I just line up the dually fendes even in both side mirrors. I alway make sure to stop a few inches before contact Ind get out to check just to be certain I have the trailer height correct. Then just back under slowly until it latches. 🙂
I carry a stick that I use to mark the height of the camper when I unhook, and then use that mark to lower or raise the camper to hook back up. This method gets within a 1/2 inch 90% of the time. The other 10% is due to the TV location being changed. I also use that stick and a small level to pre-level the location with blocks if the site is unlevel.

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
My fiver has a built in "mirror" strip on the front. Works great.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

slomark
Explorer
Explorer
I use a fish eye mirror on the cap, that attaches with velcro.
'09 Heartland Sundance 285bh, '08 CTD

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I use three marks to line up my 5th wheel.

Start with 5th wheel hitched pull forward in a straight line and stop.

Now put a mark dead center on the front of pin box that can be seen with the windshield rear view mirror.

Next a mark in the truck rear window dead center and at same height as the pin box mark.

Last a mark on the rear view mirror when the pin box, rear window and mirror marks are all lined up. This may require moving the marks on the pin box or rear window up or down to get them at the same height.

Now when backing just like aiming a gun when all three marks are lined up the kingpin should be dead center in the hitch.

It has worked every time for me. Even when I have had to approach the trailer at an angle I am close enough the pin will still go into the hitch pocket.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
CarnationSailor wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
OP never even says what kind of hitch he's running...

I have same truck and unless he's 4ft tall or using a GN adapter am not following how he can't see the hitch out the back window. I can see mine plain as day and it's in the lowest position.

Lots of good recommendations here but let's figure out what's REALLY going on.

Where does the arrogance come from with people like this that assume they know better than the OP?

Probably not worthy of a response, but I'll try to provide "what's REALLY going on".

I'm 5' 10' tall and the hitch is a Demco Hijacker Auto Slide mounted in the lowest position. (And no, it is not mounted too far forward.) I had a friend place a tape measure on top of the hitch and the lowest mark I can see is the 5-inch mark. So the hitch would probably have to be 6 inches higher for me to see it when hitching up.

On a more positive note, thanks to all who contributed useful suggestions. I'm sure I can develop my own method from the inputs received.

Sorry you feel offended, many don't see as an issue.

I will say the quickest least expensive, method I use when hooking up the DD, goose-neck Horse trailers is, a $4.99 Harbor Freight Tools extendable magnetic pickup wand. Yellow tape on the handle placed right in front of the ball!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

N-Trouble wrote:

I have same truck and unless he's 4ft tall or using a GN adapter am not following how he can't see the hitch out the back window. I can see mine plain as day and it's in the lowest position.

Where does the arrogance come from with people like this that assume they know better than the OP?

Probably not worthy of a response, but I'll try to provide "what's REALLY going on".

I'm 5' 10' tall and the hitch is a Demco Hijacker Auto Slide mounted in the lowest position. (And no, it is not mounted too far forward.) I had a friend place a tape measure on top of the hitch and the lowest mark I can see is the 5-inch mark. So the hitch would probably have to be 6 inches higher for me to see it when hitching up.

On a more positive note, thanks to all who contributed useful suggestions. I'm sure I can develop my own method from the inputs received.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Truckers can't see either. Take references from what is seen in the side mirrors. Get out & look. Get the DW involved. Simple hand signals work.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are many ways to hitch up your 5er. You just need to find what works for you. And as always practice makes perfect. This is what works for me.

First I placed a strip of yellow tape on the pin box and a strip on the underside of my tri-fold tonneau cover. This is what I see in my rear view mirror. Just need to of course line the two up.

For the correct height I installed a Hoppy Level Plus. You just need to remember to adjust the smaller level before you unhitch. When it is time to hitch up, just return the 5er to the preset level.

This works for me. I can easily hitch up by myself. But alot of times I will let the wife back the truck up while I watch. She is actually getting pretty good at it.
Good luck, John
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

SWD
Explorer
Explorer
I have a back up camera system on my FW.....and I added an additional camera in the truck bed.....All I do is flip to that camera and I can see real fine when hitching up.

Reng8d
Explorer
Explorer
handye9 wrote:
Saw this on ebay.

I sort of use the same idea. I paint a white 1" strip in the center of the pin box and then make an "L" bracket and mount that to the pinbox with a 6" - 8" round convex mirror.

Has worked great for many years on a several 5ers....
Stephen and Nancy 🙂
2012 Tiffin Phaeton 36 QSH

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer

2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
...And always visually check the jaws or hook to be SURE it is in the correct locked position before moving. Shine a flashlight in there if necessary.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Saw this on ebay.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
My dually is proof that you need to not have distractions, and double check everything. Fortunately I bought it that way so my trailer wasnt the victim.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS