cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Difference between Jayco and Keystone, Need some quick advice

Bigmoss
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys some of you might have seen my other thread asking for advice on Jayco as Im looking at upgrading to a newer 5er. I had my mind set on a Jayco Eagle 26.5 HT RLS and came across the Keystone Hideout 276 RLS which my wife loves allot more and I kinda like the interior better myself and its cheaper than the Jayco by a fare amount. On top of that the Keystone is a 2017 and the Jayco a 2016 and the keystone is still less.

Is the Keystone a cheaper product is that why its cheaper ? I would just like some opinions from owners and people before the sales guy tries to give me his pitch. Im still very green to this stuff and want to try and make the best decision possible.

Thanks
2016 Ford F-150 Screw Lariat Short Box
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
Reese 30051 Hitch with Revolutionary Pin
32 REPLIES 32

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Flip a coin or buy what your wife likes. Not .02 difference. My buddies Jayco 5th wheel had an entire side come apart at the nose and peel back while travelling.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations. I hope everything works out the way you want.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

Bigmoss
Explorer
Explorer
I just spoke to the sales fellow at the dealership and I think we are going to make a deal on the 2015. He notified me the cap has to be repainted and new decals put on from fading and Jayco is handling that under warranty. They cant get to it for a month so I told him to call me when its complete which will give me time to sell mine and get some other $$ organized.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Bigmoss wrote:
I just thought Id update this thread. We went to the big RV show here and did not buy the Keystone. There was a definite difference in quality compared to the Jayco. All three Jaycos we were interested in were sold by the time we got the opening day which blew me away they went that fast.

I have now found a 2015 Jayco HT 27.5 RTLS Im negotiating on if the numbers work out we will prob grab this one.

Good luck...IMHO, you made the right choice....hope it works out for you..In the last 40 years I've owned a couple Jayco pop-ups, several TT's and the TH in my sig...alway's has worked for me...the one in my sig will be our "full-time" rig...no toys, but got for rear party deck and garage offers great storage.

Jim
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Bigmoss
Explorer
Explorer
I just thought Id update this thread. We went to the big RV show here and did not buy the Keystone. There was a definite difference in quality compared to the Jayco. All three Jaycos we were interested in were sold by the time we got the opening day which blew me away they went that fast.

I have now found a 2015 Jayco HT 27.5 RTLS Im negotiating on if the numbers work out we will prob grab this one.

Jim4929
Explorer
Explorer
I owned a Jayco trailer as my first unit. As many have said the good news is Jayco has a two year warranty, the bad news for me was I needed every day of it. It spent more time at the factory getting a new 33ft side redone and reinforced A frame, 3 different sets of axles. On and on and on. A lot of problems were from outright poor engineering. I have a Keystone and have had my issues, the major issue I use it so often that mine revels problems that others may take years to find out. No matter what you get IMHO it's a **** shoot when quality is concerned. I'm on a 5 week trip now and already have started my list of things to fix when I get back.
2011 GMC 3500 Sierra Diesel SRW
B&W Patriot Hitch
5th Airborne Pin Box
Laredo 321BH

"Have Trailer, Will Travel"

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
Bigmoss wrote:
I did notice the 2yr VS 1 year warranty and Ive been reading until my eyes bleed lol.

The more I look at the Keystone I really like it. The hardwood floors, Central Vac, Cold Mountain Package. I hunt until almost January with my 5er and this is a HUGE plus. I really like the interior colors as well.

BUT all that being said longevity is also what I want. This will be the last 5er for a while ad I need it to last. So if mosts opinions are that Keystone wows you with the cosmetics while Jayco has the quality then that is a huge decision maker.
If it is longevity that you want, it's the Jayco you should buy. My Eagle fifth-wheel is twenty one years old and still going strong. The only things I have done to it is replace the rubber roof that had deteriorated and upgraded the appliances. Best thing about it is that it is completely paid for.
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

crewstx
Explorer
Explorer
Our 1st 5th was a Jayco and we had no issues with it. The next time we went with a Keystone Montana. The issues we have had with it are to numerous to mention. We will never go Keystone again. Jayco is definitely the better choice.
Charles & Elaine Crews, Cindy & Molly - 2 Golden Retrievers
29RLTS '07 Jayco 5th Wheel, '07 Dodge 2500HD, Pullright hitch

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
There is basically no difference. You may or may not have problems with both of the brands. Purchase the floor plan and price range that suits you.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

Bigmoss
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to look at both tonight in person. Even with buying the 6 years extended warranty on the Keystone. The keystone winds up being almost 8 thousand cheaper than the Jayco. SO we will see

It was a last minute decision to upgrade and the budget will dictate what we get although I wont buy a cheap unit just for the sake of buying.

nma33
Explorer
Explorer
By the way, out friends looked at everything at the Hershey RV show and purchased a Jayco Eagle 360. It's a beautiful 5er.

nma33
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at a lot of brands of Motorhomes, not 5ers, but many brands, The Jayco in our price range was far superior then anything else out there, Jayco's customer service has been absolutely the best. I had issues with my dealer, and Jayco stepped up to the plate and made everything right, before purchasing I had Jayco look into if the accordion door to the bedroom could be changed out to a sliding door, the same that is in the 2016 model, They confirmed this, my dealer messed everything up, including ordering the parts, I brought the coach to Jayco where they modified the coach for the new door, and took care of all the minor issues that one finds in new coaches, they even serviced my generator and gave me an oil change. All under warranty, even paid all my traveling expenses and hotel from NJ to IN and back. I cannot say enough for the service by Jayco after the sale. simply outstanding.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bigmoss wrote:
I did notice the 2yr VS 1 year warranty and Ive been reading until my eyes bleed lol.

The more I look at the Keystone I really like it. The hardwood floors, Central Vac, Cold Mountain Package. I hunt until almost January with my 5er and this is a HUGE plus. I really like the interior colors as well.

BUT all that being said longevity is also what I want. This will be the last 5er for a while ad I need it to last. So if mosts opinions are that Keystone wows you with the cosmetics while Jayco has the quality then that is a huge decision maker.
Don't put too much stock in that "Cold Mountain Package".. Usually that stuff is some tank heaters, maybe a little foil "insulation" and a decal. You'll still burn propane like it's free and probably never stay warm...

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

lazydays
Explorer
Explorer
Last 5ver was a Jayco and the current 5ver is from Keystone. The Keystone has been better but both were good units.
Very Patient Wife
Two Boys & a Girl
2013 Keystone Avalanche 345TG
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L