cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Extra Tank

Buster52
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my truck it came with a auxiliary diesel mounted in the bed of the truck. It has a pump and electric fuel valve to transfer the fuel and is larger then my main fuel tank. My question is this legal? If so, what states is it allowed?
17 REPLIES 17

bigdon68
Explorer
Explorer
We have one and love it. It is legal in all states. Ours is a 45 gallon under cover tank. We have a ReTrax rolltop cover and the tank is made to go under it. Works great. You might want to take a look at Aluminum Truck Tanks

The system works great. Pump feeds through a "T" into the factory fuel neck and into the factory tank. Fuel gauge is always accurate.

bigdon68
2017 F450 Lariat Shadow Black / Magnetic, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. TS3 Air Hitch, Retrax, 55 Gal.Aux.Tank
2017 DRV Mobile Suites,induction cooktop, solar, f/b paint, MorRyde IS, 17.5" Tires,residential frig, 3" riser, MorRyde Steps

MY PICTURES

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
MainerBob wrote:
Does anyone worry about the weight of carrying all that extra fuel, at about 7lbs per gallon?
My auxiliary fuel tank is 40 gallons, and I don't think an extra 280 lbs. will put me over the limit with my dually. But I do wonder about these 100 gallon tanks that add over 700 lbs. to the vehicle weight.

my dually GVWR is 13,000lbs.. the rear axle weight rating is 9000lbs.

with my FW hitched up, and 1/2 full, at the scale the rear axle weight was 6660.. so I have room for 2340lbs more. the front & rear total was 11,900. so for gvwr I still have 1100lbs to go. the 60*7 lbs added weight 420 + 65 for the tank still leaves room. the truck GCVWR is 30,000.
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
R12RTee has it exactly right. Gravity flow diesel fuel tanks are 100% legal in all states IAW what he states. Every time this subject comes up, someone has to state that it's illegal - and it's not. I think they must be assuming the rules are the same for gas and diesel.

I have an RDS 40 gallon gravity flow diesel tank. It's my #1 favorite mod.

As far as weight goes - air resistance of the 5th wheel is the big damper on fuel mileage. I don't believe the extra 400# has much effect on my mileage.

Tim

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
MainerBob wrote:
Does anyone worry about the weight of carrying all that extra fuel, at about 7lbs per gallon?
My auxiliary fuel tank is 40 gallons, and I don't think an extra 280 lbs. will put me over the limit with my dually. But I do wonder about these 100 gallon tanks that add over 700 lbs. to the vehicle weight.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 60 gal RDS tank/toolbox on my ford dually, with electric shutoff tied to one of my upfitter switches, gravity feed when on. Gives me 98 gals, at 10mpg, just under a 1000 miles towing the FW.
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
55 gal inbed fuel tank for us and like it very much.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

bazdad
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a 100 gallon tank in my truck. At the vent line on the main tank I spliced in a T to connect to my 100 gallon tank. I locked the cap on the truck tank and always fill into the 100 gallon tank. I have ran it this way for 4 years on gravity feed only. I never shut it off.
On my 2004 GMC the gauge in the truck always shows a full tank. When the gauge starts down I look for a good fuel price.

R12RTee
Explorer
Explorer
Buster52 wrote:
I find gravity fill kits on the market like Northern. When I look into them I find them illegal. I find no powered kits when I look. I plan on reinstalling it when I get a chance. I am looking for a lockable fill cap for the tank first. It has a 2 inch pipe thread in the tank. I want to make sure is safe from someone putting something in the tank.
You are looking in the wrong place if you find them illegal. As long as a gravity system does not feed into a caruretor or injector system they are legal, according to the FMCSA 393.65(D). Feeding into the main tank and having a shutoff valve are legal for diesel applications.
2021 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA
2021 Ram 6.7 HO

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
MainerBob wrote:

With most duallies it is not a problem. SRW and it would put most over the RGAWR with a 5th wheel also ride there. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

MainerBob
Explorer
Explorer
2007 Keystone Everest 293P, 32'
2006 Silvarado 2500HD Duramax, SRW, CC, Short Bed, 4x4
Sidewinder,16K Draw-Tite Slider
Chloe, Standard Poodle
Charlie, Tibetan Terrier

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
As far as I am concerned the sun doesn't rise and set on transfer flow. RDS makes reliable tanks, fuel pumps are available at the auto parts store, and nitrile electrically operated shut off valves are available on line. So it can be done at a fraction of the transfer flow cost.

I sometimes wonder if transfer flow had Sauel do their web site. :h

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 100 gallon Transfer Flow in my truck bed. Per mfg. 100% legal in all states.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
Gravity fed tanks (diesel) are legal in Oregon I can't speak for the rest of the country. Gravity fed Gas a no no in any state even Alaska

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Check the truck stops along I5, they probably have a locking cap for the 2" pipe. They are common.

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com