cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florida beaches

gdweb
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I want to take a trip down to Florida, everything we hear is fla beaches are not dog friendly. any truth to this? heard there are very few places to be able to take dog for walk on beach. which means in wife's view, were not going if we can't walk her on the beach.
SEMPER FI

Gary & Diane
Ky
2020 F250 King Ranch 6.7l FX4
2013 Sundance 3270res
26 REPLIES 26

VTLee
Explorer
Explorer
Honeymoon Island which is north of Clearwater has a dog beach.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
heard there are very few places to be able to take dog for walk on beach. which means in wife's view, were not going if we can't walk her on the beach.

Even when you do find a beach that will allow dogs, YOU won't like it.

There is dog poo all over and although not seen by eye it's covered with hundreds of dogs peeing on the sand. And you can't pick that up and everyone allows their dogs to pee all over.

Just think hook worm that a lot of dogs have and you might think twice. Just ask anyone that has been infested with it. It's not a pretty sight and can be very serious.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001454.htm

Certainly not my idea of a nice walk on the beach barefoot. ๐Ÿ˜ž

And yes I do have dogs. The beach is NOT the place for them.

Love my dogs but they are not going to stop me from enjoying my travels RV'ing and seeing the beautiful beaches of America that do not allow dogs.

Sadly it will be your DW's loss not the dogs. Just saying. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
We've had dogs most of our 48 yrs married, and it's still too bad there are so many irresponsible pet owners. I see them frequently allowing their dogs to pee on flowers, poop and don't pick up, or signs of same where people walk, allowing them to run where it clearly states all pets must be leashed, barking incessantly with owner sitting in lawn chair... This is why.. Most are responsible, but it just takes a few.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
When you consider the number of people who visit Florida beaches in the state park system each year it is pretty clear why dogs are not allowed on the beaches. It needs to stay that way. If having a pet is so important to cause you to miss some of the most beautiful beaches in the world you will just have to accept that.

Very well said.

With just a little research the OP can find a dog friendly beach near or at their destination.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
Smyrna Dunes park near New Smyrna.

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were at Fort Myers beach last year (Red Coconut) all kinds of dogs on beach. Same thing Jacksonville as well as Daytona.

We will be heading to the Pan Handle next week. St. Rosa sound, according to when I made reservation they are Pet Friendly as well. The beach is right behind the 5er.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

Wizard_1946
Explorer
Explorer
Beverly Beach at Flagler allows dogs on beach. been there with Jake several times.
Jerry
2000 Journey 36G
2006 Explorer 4X4

Nothing I've got to do and all day to do it :B

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Panama City area state parks, Destin, St. Andrews, Port St. Joseph, no dogs on beach. Don't know about the rest of Florida. Traveling by the Port St. Joe area, no dogs on the beach in the local communities either.

St Joe Beaches advertise about being dog friendly. Pet friendly beaches
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARCOFLIDLAMSMTNVNMTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
When you consider the number of people who visit Florida beaches in the state park system each year it is pretty clear why dogs are not allowed on the beaches. It needs to stay that way. If having a pet is so important to cause you to miss some of the most beautiful beaches in the world you will just have to accept that.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Beaker wrote:
FL State Parks do not allow pets on the beach. I asked one of the rangers as to why and the response was that it was for the best interest of the animal: lack of fresh water, dehydration, sand fleas, salt water not being good for their skin and coat, and even sunburn

But its all good for me??

NO it is not good for you but the rangers don't care about you! ๐Ÿ™‚
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
Venice Brohard Paw Park and Fort Desoto have off leash dog swim beaches. Google dog beach... It might be the bringfido link.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2019 GMC Denali 3500 D/A SRW

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
Ft. Myers beaches and Sanibel allow dogs. We were on Nokomis and Venice beaches recently and I am not sure I observed any dogs on those beaches. Actually I don't believe I ever saw any dogs on Englewood beach either.

Your DW better get ready for additional disappointments, I walk through 4 different CG's in the city limits of Fort Myers Beach every morning. Two allow dogs, one only allows them on the outer sites, and one does not allow them at all!
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
jus2shy wrote:
Wow, the beaches of Oregon and Washington don't seem to have any aversion to our 4-legged friends. Surprised to learn this. Learn something new every day.

Thanks,

I just more dog owners would be responsible in Oregon and Washington and pick up after their dogs! :M

Maybe that is why Florida SP don't allow dogs near the water!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Tank1202
Explorer
Explorer
St.George Island is dog friendly, but the state park is not.