cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insurance...Need Assistance...Resolved

Hotel_Californi
Explorer
Explorer
This is kind of hard to believe, but I just called my insurance agent to add a 2014 Ram Longhorn we purchased 2 days ago to our policy. When they heard that I would occasionally be towing a fifth wheel, they told me they would not cover the new truck...and wouldn't continue to cover the old truck because it was used to pull a fifth wheel!

Current vehicle and home insurance is via Costco / Ameriprise. We have used them for many years for multiple vehicles as well as for our home insurance. Great pricing and good service. No accidents or tickets for 47 years for either of us. RV is currently insured separately through Good Sam. I need to find a new insurance company quickly.

Does anyone have coverage for vehicles, home and RV through a single reputable company with reasonable rates and decent service? Who is your carrier? Did you compare prices between different companies?

Going to be busy on Monday morning talking to insurance companies. Planning on contacting AAA, Farmers, State Farm, Allstate and Geico. Open to all suggestions for additional companies, or reasons not to bother with some of them.

Thanks.
Doug & Juanita
2014 Cedar Creek Touring Edition
The Cedar Creek RV Owners Club
62 REPLIES 62

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
We also have The Hartford. Rates and service are very good. Alot of folks don't like AARP but going with The hartford thru them was the best we could find. We have had two accidents(one not our fault) in the 15 yr we have been with them. No problems at all. Would have our home with them but Ins. is kinda funny in parts of Florida.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I use The Hartford, they've been great.

Kinda odd to me that the insurance company would drop insurance on your truck like that. The truck is simply doing what it was made to do. I've had trouble getting separate insurance for our TT - I guess it isn't all that common in the Northeast to have coverage on a towed camper. It is weird how insurance coverage seems to change by region, even though the same big insurance company is involved.

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
You have to read carefully! For instance: If you belong to a roadside assistance club, (AAA, etc.)-don't pay for the same coverage on your vehicle policy. If you're financing your vehicle and the bank requires you carry to full coverage-after you pay the loan off-you can back off on the coverage.

By using different companies and no agent-it doesn't cost that much more, BUT, I don't worry as much about getting cancelled for whatever reason, and losing all my policies. Plus, some companies are better than others on certain coverage. I get very good prices on my coverage. You can still call the company direct and negotiate prices. If you are a good risk, and you tell them you are shopping around-they will want to keep you.

greende
Explorer
Explorer
I use Nationwide. Short version of my story: had Ins thru my wife's old ins carrier, an independent agent who covered everything including RV. Bought a 3500HD DRW truck & they said I needed to get commercial ins because of a high GVWR. Left & went back to Nationwide and they had no problems insuring the truck, 5er & everything else we had including my Kubota tractor.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Mutual of Enumclaw here. We use a local independent agent, Bauer Ins, (family run business) and the best rates are thru MoE. We used to have Farmers, but MoE beat them buy 200+ a year. Hated Farmers. I kid you not, at least once every 12-18 months they would send us a notice of cancellation. We would have to call our agent and she would always say "don't worry". We had Farmers for 20+ years, but after a friend of mine told us about Bauer, we gave them a call. Couldn't believe the price difference. Not one problem either. House, 5'er, truck and car insured thru them.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
TucsonJim wrote:
I've been with MetLife for my homeowners and auto (including FW) for the last 10 years. Nobody has been able to compete with them on price, even though I get quotes from other companies at least once per year.

I just had a major claim with them and it was handled professionally and quickly. Quotes can be obtained from 1-800-438-6381.

X-2..Been with them for over 30 years. We deal directly not through an agent. NEVER had a problem.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
We are bundled with Allstate and in Idaho, they were very competitive, plus would insure our ATV & UTV for both off/on road use. Their service has been awesome and have NOT raised our rates every couple years. like our last company did.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Hotel_Californi
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
I use Farm Bureau, and pay a bit more for it. Simply because nobody else would cover my '36 John Deere Model A that I occasionally drive around the neighborhood or pull parade floats for local organizations. I think Good Sam will cover your truck, but not sure about rates. One question though, does your insurance company even know what a FW RV is? If they'll cover a TT or TC, then why not a FW? Are they thinking it's a commercial trailer? Lyle

No, they know it's recreational. I called a second time and tried again, but the file had already been annotated. They would have covered the truck if the trailer was under 30' and less than $40,000. Said the risk was too high for them if trailer was over those parameters.
Doug & Juanita
2014 Cedar Creek Touring Edition
The Cedar Creek RV Owners Club

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
State Farm. Bundled up most everything, home, car, truck, motorcycle, RV. The ATV's are with somebody else. Used to have the motorcycle and RV with another company, but their rates went sky high one year so I went with State Farm. Also got better coverage and lower rates that way. State Farm does not sub-contract out RV insurance around here, can't say about other areas.

The problem with multiple insurance companies, other than you are not taking advantage of any multi-line discounts, is if you have a claim where coverage may be under more than one policy. Each company might say the other insurance company should provide coverage. Then you wind up with them pointing the finger at each other, and you are then trying to get that sorted out. Happened to me once on a motorcycle claim years ago, where stolen personal possessions on the bike were taken. Motorcycle insurance company says my homeowners should cover it, homeowners company said I should have had coverage with the motorcycle insurance company.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I've been with MetLife for my homeowners and auto (including FW) for the last 10 years. Nobody has been able to compete with them on price, even though I get quotes from other companies at least once per year.

I just had a major claim with them and it was handled professionally and quickly. Quotes can be obtained from 1-800-438-6381.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
Check...Blue Sky
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
I use National General. It is specifically designed for RVers. They do not care if you are in a different State frequenty. This is unlike some other Insurance Companies. They realize that Rvers move around.
God Bless!

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I use Farm Bureau, and pay a bit more for it. Simply because nobody else would cover my '36 John Deere Model A that I occasionally drive around the neighborhood or pull parade floats for local organizations. I think Good Sam will cover your truck, but not sure about rates. One question though, does your insurance company even know what a FW RV is? If they'll cover a TT or TC, then why not a FW? Are they thinking it's a commercial trailer?

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

shadoow
Explorer
Explorer
we have our home, vehicles and fiver with Hartford

tropical_ron
Explorer
Explorer
We bundled everything, including umbrella; all with GEICO. One roadside towing claim; paid promptly - no questions asked. Motorcoach, car, truck and house. Policy written in Rhode Island.
2007 National Tropical T370 LX CAT-350
2010 Honda CRV awd
Blue Ox Baseplate
SMI aux. brake