cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

L.E.D. Lights - long lead wires

Onespeed405
Explorer
Explorer
I have read & watched the discussion on LED interior light bulb replacements for a long time. The questions I have are:

1. Most lights have long lead wires coming from the socket base. Does that pose a problem?
2. How do you fix or position the actual light in the fixture so that it does not bounce or jar around when traveling?
3. Can you give me any photos of the LED bulbs in place?

Thanks
2005 Chev 3500 Duramax/Allison Ext Cab SRW 4x4 Long Box
Blue Ox Bedsaver, Hawkshead TPMS, Rear View Camera System
2007 Citation Supreme 31CKDS
220 W solar, 2800 W Magnasine pure sinewave inverter/charger/battery monitor, 4x6 volt deep cycle, Rotochoks
13 REPLIES 13

Onespeed405
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to everyone who replied with helpful information.

Well, I did it. As Coolmom42 (and others) suggested, I used LEDTrailerLights.com. (Thank You)

I spent just over $200 Canadian for 17 bulbs, Pop out the old ones, pop in the new. No fuss, no muss, no wires or screws. We just love them and make dry camping just a little bit easier.

They worked wonderfully, this May long weekend

DW is impressed, so I am happy.
220 W solar, 2800 W Magnasine pure sinewave inverter/charger/battery monitor, 4x6 volt deep cycle, Rotochoks

oldbeek
Explorer
Explorer
Go to e-bay and buy direct from china. On e-bay there are bulbs that are direct replacements. The most common BA15 base. In e-bay look for RV LED 1156. Look for BA15 120 smd that means 120 zeon panels. There is currently 10 for 37.50 with free shipping. Also listed is the 48 smd panels at 4ea for $8.70. I used those to rewire my florescent fixture. Cheaper than 1 florescent bulb and no transformer to go out. Just the on off switch.
1994 27sl Alpenlite with many mods, 2001 Dodge Cummins 2x4 3.54 Auto trans built shift kit and 2nd gear lock up mod. Mojave Green billet, triple disc low stall torque converter. Gauges and raptor 3/8inch fuel system. 12.5 mpg avg

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
We were out for our first trip of the season. So I shot you some pics of my LED boards in place. I hope they are helpful. Obviously it will depend on what fixtures you have.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go to LEDtrailerlights.com, and they have exact replacements for the type of bulb you have, no need to do any wiring, just remove the old incandescent bulb and replace with the LED version.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
I have two boxes of LEDs sitting her. I'm waiting until I bring the 5er home from storage, to install them. They are replacements for the 921 bulbs that are in the fixtures now. Just the bulbs are replaced.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
The LED's I used have the same base as the bulbs I replaced, so nothing changed. Just popped the old bulbs out and then popped the new ones in

Thats what I id as well

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
I've used the panels with long leads and double sided tape; the tape doesn't last. I just drilled two holes along side the panels, and used fishing line to tie them in' they've lasted for years now. Once the bezel is on you can't see the line.

Ignore the know it alls, they're not trying to help, they're just trying to impress themselves.

Doug

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
The LED's I used have the same base as the bulbs I replaced, so nothing changed. Just popped the old bulbs out and then popped the new ones in.
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

rjdlooking
Explorer
Explorer
I have replaced all the old lights in our rig to LED love then. we just replaced the bulbs. Did just a few at a time due to the cost. Wife doesn't like them in the bath shows all her wrinkles LOL.

Onespeed405
Explorer
Explorer
Gee, Second Chance, thanks for that.

I did read that post, in it's entirety. The reason I asked my "specific" questions, was that I don't remember seeing those asked before and I am actually "interested" in the answers.

I could be mistaken, but I am not perfect. I am sure someone, somewhere, sometime, has actually asked these "specific" questions, but I do not "remember" them. Other "helpful" members are sure to point this out.

DEEPLY sorry if I offended those that are compelled to read a post "they already know all about".

I am happy that, I, personally, do not respond to subjects repeated in this forum, is there even room??

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many, many threads on this topic - most recently (that I've seen) is this one. There are several links to LED sources within the thread.

Thread link
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps someone can correct me on this, but last year I was told one could buy new LED bulbs that would fit into existing fixtures. No need to re-wire/install new fixtures. If this is the case, I plan on changing the reading lights in BR and several lights in main body of coach to LEDs.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I used these:
eBay LED lamps

I'm happy with the color, but you can get similar in warm, cool, and maybe blue.

The leads are a little long, but that's because they come with different socket adapters, and also insures the leads will be long enough for any fixture. I just curled up the excess.

The ones I bought came with double sided tape, and I just stuck the boards against the fixture reflector plate. So far the tape is holding, but I doubt it will last forever. I figure I will just put a plastic wire tie around them if needed someday.

Sorry, did not shoot a pic of these.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver