cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

lost an entire wheel and drum

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
I made a turn into a shopping center parking lot, looked back and saw one of my trailer wheels lying in the middle of the road. We have a 2011 Cougar half-ton 5th wheel. The brakes, including backing plates were replaced new last summer. I greased the bearings via the outer zerk fittings this Feb. All this and the bearing failed, breaking the drum. the wheel came off along with the broken drum.
I blame this in part to the size drum they put on these light weight trailers. Mine are ten inches across the inside center. We are careful to load light for trips, despite the 2900 lb carrying capacity which leaves me to believe the Dexter axles are way under par for this trailer which weighs about 7000 empty.
60 REPLIES 60

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
If you just pack the bearings and leave the large void in the hub greaseless, the grease in the bearing will get hot,melt and run to this void in the hub.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

moyesdriver
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to jump in here and recommend a tool I've used very successfully in the past on travel trailer and boat trailer bearings. the one I have is "OEM" brand UNIVERSAL BEARING PACKER (part #25070), you place the bearing between two plastic cones and screw it together, then pump grease into the center with a grease gun. This forces fresh grease through the bearing and out the sides, pushing all of the old grease etc. out with it. I think this is a lot faster and probably more thorough than doing it by hand.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
wilber1 wrote:
Allways seemed like a huge waste of grease to me, filling a whole hub with grease to do a job that only requires a few onces. I'm still using the same tub of Penzoil 707L that I bought in 2002.
Could be you're right about a huge waste of grease, but I've got a triple axle, plenty of grease, but a only finite amount of time to waste on pulling 6 wheels and repacking same. So I pick wasting some of that grease, and save my time for other things. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Allways seemed like a huge waste of grease to me, filling a whole hub with grease to do a job that only requires a few onces. I'm still using the same tub of Penzoil 707L that I bought in 2002.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Irelands_child
Explorer
Explorer
Now on the 3rd page, I've seen some good advice and some that.... well let's leave it at that.

OK, with that said, no one has stated the obvious. Dexter and on their now non-intuitive website, has a bearing handbook. In that information is the recommendation that you pull the drum and inspect and lube the bearings every 12,000 miles or every 12 months, whichever comes first and that includes E-Z Lube bearings. Yes, it is conservative as far as the time frame but the mileage frame is what we 'old timers' used on our automobiles before the days of the front wheel drive cars with sealed capsule bearings. Unfortunately, RV manufacturers don't bother adding this info to their owner's package. Then there is the fact that no-name Chinese made bearings used by Dexter and other bearing users have a poor reputation for longevity as I too found when I pulled the bearings on our Montana after a year and about 5000 miles. Now, 15,000+ miles later, the replacement US made Timken bearings, using a Dexter grease recommendation, show no distress.

If you do continue to use the E-Z Lube system, each empty hub will take about 200 strokes of that grease gun lever along with the best part of a full tube of grease. You also need to lift and rotate each wheel to spread the grease as there is only a single hub entry hole for the grease. You also need to be aware that the seal is the weak point on the system and you can 'blow' by it if you over pressurize that hub by using anything but a hand operated grease gun.

I've posted this elsewhere, but that little hole is the only entry point to grease those bearings while the seal rides the land directly above it (and no, that rough spot is not a defect or failure):

abom2
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to keep this short:
FW-2007 Coachmen 321T-Purchased new in 2007-Full Time Workamping
Jan. 2016-Have new wheels and tires put on 5th wheel.
Feb. 2016-Take FW to have safety inspection performed for registration renewal.
Late Feb 2016-Get Fiver ready for travel to new job in Florida.
Check tires, lugs, lights, etc., Fiver is ready to travel from Texas to Florida. Fiver is in RV Park so I left it hooked up to the power and water. Went to my S&B for few days to pick up DW to travel with me.

Travel day-hook up to TV. Check lights, tire pressure, etc. Off we go. 25 miles later the front street side wheel assembly comes off at 55 mph. Get stopped on highway shoulder. Walk back and recover wheel assembly. Look at hub- two sheared off studs. Limp to exit, find large open area to park. "Hey I can fix this, no problem."
Drive to small town- hit every autoparts place in 20 miles. Finally find enough of the correct size studs. BTW- found lugs nuts loose on Left rear wheel also. Curb side wheels are tight. No movement at all. Just like all four were six days before when checked.
Change studs, install hubs and wheels. Good to go right? Nope, less than 1 mile later I see in mirror wheel angle looks odd. Stop, check lugs, both left side wheels have loose lugs. Huh?
Tighten the **** out of them again-get 1/4 mile and see wobble. I limped to truck stop 5 miles away, stopping every 1/4 mile or less to tighten up. Problem is studs are starting to shear off.

Make it to truck stop. I have two studs left on front left wheel and four on rear left wheel. (Six Lug Hubs)
Call for road side assistance (AAA RV Plus)-No help at all.
Locate Mobile Mechanic-He was able to get to me 8 hrs later- he was out on call.
I had told him on phone that according to my build papers glued in the kitchen cabinet that the RV had "Dexter 5,200 lb axles"
Found out later that night while under the RV that I have Lippert axles. Read directly off the axle.
After all night at truck stop Mobile Mechanic has installed new hubs and bearings.
Off I go to Florida, checking my lug nuts every 25 miles for the first 100 and then at every single stop. All is good.
Fast forward to Nov 2016-Make RV road ready for trip back to Texas from FL. Trip home uneventful from the RV stand point.
While home I fix up a few things on the RV and install two new A/C units. All is good.
Jan 2017-Make ready for road trip to AZ. Do all of the checks, etc. Lugs are good. (BTW-from previous drama I am now fixated on lug nuts)
Off to AZ with DW traveling with me. Five miles from house I see smoke coming off left rear wheel. Whip into Pharmacy parking lot. Dragging brake shoe maybe?
Nope- I see at least one inch of brake pad showing between flange/shield and hub. OK, call Mobile Mech. Mech says I need new axle and it will take 3 weeks to get parts, 2K to tow to their facility, yada, yada, yada..
I pay mechanic for his call out. I jack up axle, remove tire and wheel w/o removing lug nuts. I see spindle/castle nut/three plate washers/inner bearing/grease seal. No outer bearing. Under discolored grease I find what is left of outer bearing. Just a small band of metal.
I locate parts, and for some reason decided to buy a small hub puller. Glad I did. I purchase three complete sets of hubs, bearings, seals, nuts, finger washers, etc.
Glad I did. Go to remove nut-dang it- the threads are partially stripped and the nut is only three threads from the start point. I now know why I have extra plate washers here and no finger washer.(Previous MM jury rigged it? Maybe?)
Cannot get nut to move with fingers. I am glad I keep a 3 ft long crescent on the truck. With lots of grease and care I back off the nut without further damaging threads.
Put new hub/bearings, etc on left side wheels/axles. Do a drive check for 50 miles stopping every 10 or so.
I make my trip to AZ.
I will not use those zerc fittings for greasing my bearings. I will hand pack as I did when I rebuilt it in that parking lot.

My world is ok now.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Road Phantom wrote:
I made a turn into a shopping center parking lot, looked back and saw one of my trailer wheels lying in the middle of the road. We have a 2011 Cougar half-ton 5th wheel. The brakes, including backing plates were replaced new last summer. I greased the bearings via the outer zerk fittings this Feb. All this and the bearing failed, breaking the drum. the wheel came off along with the broken drum.
I blame this in part to the size drum they put on these light weight trailers. Mine are ten inches across the inside center. We are careful to load light for trips, despite the 2900 lb carrying capacity which leaves me to believe the Dexter axles are way under par for this trailer which weighs about 7000 empty.

In my opinion most RV manufacturers use inadequately rated suspension parts which includes axles and tires!!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
First off "Bearing Buddies" are not for greasing bearings. They put the bearing under pressure with grease to help keep water out of the bearings. As you put a trailer in the water the warm bearing contract leaving a potential void. With the grease under pressure grease is pressed into them not allowing water in. Ez lube axles if done correctly have worked for me. You pump grease in slowly, it goes to the inward beating first, then the outward bearing. Pump slowly and rotate the wheel. I would not try it again on a cold day but that's just me.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I had a 1970 Mustang with points. Adapted a ~1978 Ford electronic distributor and ignition to the Mustang. Dead on more reliable, more power, lower maintenance.

I have always been about new technology. EZ-lube is not about better technology... only the illusion of lower maintenance.

The real problem with cars as they went electronic ignition was all the vacuum controlled emissions and poorly designed egr that came at the same time.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Labman7 wrote:
Reminds me of when cars went to electronic ignition. For years if it didn't have points and a condenser, it wasn't reliable. Can't trust that new fancy stuff. LOL.
Actually I had one of the first year cars that went to electronic ignition. Chrysler came out with it first and I did have trouble with it. They had problems diagnosing the problem because it was intermittent. I'm grateful they corrected the design flaws to give us a modern reliable product.

I like new technology but it doesn't always work as designed.

pickjare
Explorer
Explorer
This subject always seems way over-complicated which is the reason the "ez lube" type bearing grease adapters exist now. They are supposed to be the answer to a problem that doesn't exist.

No matter how a bearing is greased, if it isn't adjusted correctly and washer and cotter pin are in place, the thing will fail. That is why the ops tire fell off. I see no picture, but from the explanation it has nothing to do with the drum. Either the spindle overheated and broke or the nut backed off. Doesn't matter how it is greased, just matters that it gets greased. Ez lube axles create a false sense that everything is fine in my opinion.

Op, in the future take your trailer to a qualified technician and pay him/her to service the axles. Then leave them alone for a couple years (well, jack up tire, spin and check for looseness/noise every few trips, but don't grease with ez lube).

Labman7
Explorer
Explorer
Reminds me of when cars went to electronic ignition. For years if it didn't have points and a condenser, it wasn't reliable. Can't trust that new fancy stuff. LOL.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
BiggestRon wrote:
Hey gang,
The OP's situation scared me. After thinking about the conversation, its been 10 years on my bearing. So I have a few questions.

What do you use to clean the old grease from the bearing? Do you use brake clean or some other liquid. I don't have a parts washer. What grease do you recommend.

Ron

A lot of the grease can be cleaned out with paper towels. Roll the bearings on the towels to get most of the grease then use brake cleaner. I'm using Lucas red sticky grease

BiggestRon
Explorer
Explorer
Hey gang,
The OP's situation scared me. After thinking about the conversation, its been 10 years on my bearing. So I have a few questions.

What do you use to clean the old grease from the bearing? Do you use brake clean or some other liquid. I don't have a parts washer. What grease do you recommend.

Ron
Ron and Sue

If Wisdom is a virtue of old age then gravity is its vice.

Desist from numerically calculating fowls which have failed to fully realized their proper incubation period.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
John&Joey wrote:
I swear I'm an old soak also, but for Pete's sake at least I can see a better way of doing things. You guys got to step up your game to at least this century.

Clicky
And that's what failed if you read the post. People even explained why they fail.