cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions Dometic or Norcold refrigerator

slotsavegas
Explorer
Explorer
My current Dometic RM2862 is a 2005 model and the cooling unit is failing. I can purchase a Norcold at a heavy discount, but do not know if the Norcold model is as reliable as the Dometic which I cannot get at a discount. I can purchase a Norcold for about the same price as a new cooling unit for my current Dometic.

Looking for opinions from others.

PLEASE... No comments about home style or compressor models as they are NOT and option.
21 REPLIES 21

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OP should clean the stack and rattle the baffle which is a couple t a few inches up the stack from the burner. Then cleaner the burner and burner area.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Rvpapa
Explorer
Explorer
To the O/P
Since you state the unit is failing and not dead yet, and you don't want a residential, if the problem is not cooling well on gas the first thing to do is clean the burner orfice. Many times a fridge that is having a hard time cooling properly will recover after this.
Art.

bigwheel1970
Explorer
Explorer
slotsavegas wrote:
My current Dometic RM2862 is a 2005 model and the cooling unit is failing. I can purchase a Norcold at a heavy discount, but do not know if the Norcold model is as reliable as the Dometic which I cannot get at a discount. I can purchase a Norcold for about the same price as a new cooling unit for my current Dometic.

PLEASE... No comments about home style or compressor models as they are NOT and option.

If you want it to last just a few years then buy a new fridge. If you want something that is going to last much longer and is much cheaper then replace the cooling unit. Check out Ebay. I Purchased mine from Arcticold.

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
As far as I'm concerned, Norcold versus Dometic is 6 of one and a half-dozen of the other. I've had both in previous 5th wheels, and I've failed the cooling units in both within 6-12 months of taking delivery of the RV.

Glad the new one has a residential fridge!!

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

slotsavegas
Explorer
Explorer
jetcare wrote:
The N841 ammonia filled Norcold refrigerator in no longer in production and the new NX 841 is the replacement. It has the new Helium filled cooling unit.

Are you sure about this unit being Helium Filled ???
I have not been able to find any mention of this in the Norcold product literature.

Also, it appears the Dometic is slightly larger, will this cause appearance issues ? will I need to retrim the opening ???

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
NXSS...stainless panels
NXBK...black panel

NX841 Install Dimensions – 59 7?8” H x 23 1?2” W x 24” D

RM 2862 Install Dimensions - 59 15/16" H x 23 11/16" W x 24" D

Dometic is slightly larger opening.....but easy to trim out.
Just make sure rear fridge clearances are correct otherwise that new fridge will not cool properly. Installation is critical to proper draft & cooling.

Thought Atwood was the only Helium RV Fridge?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
ckwizard777 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Look for a residential to replace it with.

Like!!!

I guess you didn't notice the note about that not being an option! :R

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
Our old 1995 Hornet had a Norcold. It never gave us an ounce of trouble. We sold the trailer to the neighbor kids and they use the******out of it and it is still going strong.

Our current 2005 Cedar Creek has one of those Dometic where you have to slide the thingy up and down. I have it to the coldest setting I can get and I still need to keep my beer in a cooler so it stays cold enough for my taste. In the 2 years that we have had it I have had it fail twice. One time was a blown fuse that is the oddest size known to man and nearly impossible to find. The other time it just started working on its own for god only knows why.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

jetcare
Explorer
Explorer
The N841 Norcold refrigerator in no longer in production and the new NX 841 is the replacement.

You will need to buy replacement door panels if you go from the Dometic to the Norcold.

Sometimes the LP copper line is not in the right position or long enough to convert from Dometic to Norcold so you may have to deal with that.
2016 F-250 Crewcab 6.2L 4x4
2012 Palomino Sabre 32' Travel Trailer

ckwizard777
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Like!!!
Ken & Deb
2008 Montana 3400
2007 Chevy 3500HD CC,LB Dually 8.1

slotsavegas
Explorer
Explorer
My current Dometic is a RM2862 8 cu/ft. The Norcold unit most likely to fit the current cutout is a model NX 841. This appears to be a 7.5 cu/ft unit.
Am I correct, or does someone know different ?

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Norcold when we bought our 1996 Carriage brand new. It lasted until last year then finally gave up the ghost. We loved it. We were in a bind and could not find a Norcold so we bought the Dometic. It works well, fit in our "space" and keeps thing cold. I don't feel our model has quite as much storage in the freezer as our Norcold but I have adjusted. Let's hope it lasts half as long as our Norcold. Keep us posted on what you decide. Hugs, Di
slotsavegas wrote:

2015 Western Brown Pearl single cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisin Transmission, Pace Edwards auto rolltop cover, DeBoe Slide Step, AMP Side Steps.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I have had both.
Quality is about the same.
Each have had their problems.
It would be a coin toss in favor of the less expensive one