cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about a really rough ride

rfrsrrv
Explorer
Explorer
Just returned from 5200 miles South Dakota to Oka and then back east. Route 80 west on the way out and 70 on the way back.
Our first long trip and we experienced some really rough riding. On the concrete roads the truck wash boards up and down really bad to the point of being very uncomfortable in the cab. Had trouble with stuff in trailer being moved around and broken eggs in the fridge. I try very hard not to travel over 65 MPG at any time and most times i keep the speed around 60.
My question is, could i not have enough weight in the truck. If i increased the weight would this help in the ride. I know that the roads in this country are very bad but this seemed very excessive. Like the trailer was helping the truck move up and down.
2011 GMC 3500 standard cab dually, hitch and generator and wood chocks in truck, with two people, and spare for trailer.
fifth wheel trailer 10,000 factory weight and loaded with all the stuff needed to live for a couple of weeks. I do not try to carry anything i do not need.
13 REPLIES 13

okiejoe
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same exact problems, first I added a Trailer Saver airride hitch and then a MoRyde Pin Box and the added MoRyde's IS suspension (best thing I did)Ride is great now. The Moryde Pin box may be all you need, start with the pin box.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Level the 5er and try shifting the load around. It sounds like your 5er suspension can use some help. I've done several things that all worked. One 5er actually needed heavier spring to fix the horrible ride. Shocks and something like ezflex help a lot. The airbags and air adjustable Rancho shock on the truck do the rest for fixing the lumpy roads. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
It could be just the distance between the tow vehicle axles and the trailer axles and when they make contact with the nasty spots.

Harmonics.
But probably not for 5200 miles.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 Chevy 3500 and it rides about the same as yours, trailer rides fine but truck bounces and generally rides rough. New shocks, air bags, etc, none of that helped. Only thing that helps is more weight in truck, more the better!
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I59 in north ALA was that way for years. Don't know if it has been fixed or not. the concrete panels are in 6-8 foot lengths and they buckle over time I guess...

If you slowed down then the truck traffic would run over you...

The truckers all ran down the side of the roadway thru there. Some ran on the left side which wasn't so bad.

My poor OFF-ROAD POPUP would be coming off the ground when I looked back at it in the mirrors. I had to make several of these trips in one season and always had to re-adjust the roof mounted air conditioner hold down bolts that got worked loose.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
golf_bears is correct, just a little more tech information about your rig would be helpful.

I have been on the roads your are describing and you shouldn't be breaking eggs in your frig. If that is happening you need to make some modifications to smooth that ride out before some serious damage occurs.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
Give us a little more info.
What pin box do you have?
What RV suspension do you have?
What hitch do you have?
Do you have air bags on the TV?
Do you have shocks on the RV?

All five of these are critical to smoothing out your ride.

Answer these questions and we'll see if we can suggest solutions that will not include filling the fresh water tank which will increase weight and reduce your gas mileage.

PRodacy
Explorer
Explorer
I hate concrete roads. The ride is fair with a car, but like your experience, lousy with a trailer. I haven't found that anything I do (other than slow town) helps much at all.
2012 GMC 3500 dually 4x4
2006 OKanagan 90W
2003 Jeep Rubicon, modified for off road performance

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
Air bags and traveling with a full fresh water tank improved the ride of my setup immensely.
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
had that happen a couple years ago in our TT and had to slow down to compensate for the nasty roads. It may not be weight distribution, It could be just the distance between the tow vehicle axles and the trailer axles and when they make contact with the nasty spots. Gets you bumping and jumping like a whip. Try slowing way down for a bit. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
I slow down till the ride improves.
Even down to 50-55 mph and I turn on the emergency flashers till the road conditions allow for faster speeds.
Very seldom, do things inside the trailer move around.
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
I have air bags on my 3500 Ram, keep them aired just enough to stay off the overload springs. I also have an air ride pin box and flex ride on my trailer. Seems to work cause things stay put in trailer and truck ride isn't too bad.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well if you fresh water tank is over or forward of the axles try keeping it full. Great shocks on the TV, I run Bilstein 5100's, and shocks on the 5er both axles. Getting 5er to tow as level as passable also.
Tires inflated to carry the load NOT the max! That goes for both the TV and 5er.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"