cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stupid mistake

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
Well,today I made a careless mistake and messed up my truck dropping my new 5th wheel. Everything was unhooked, landing gear down, so I attempted to pull my truck out from under the trailer. The only problem was that I forgot to lower the tailgate and the pinbox smashed it up pretty bad when I pulled forward. @#&$(&^!#$ !!! Obviously, I'm a little PO'd at myself for being so careless. I bet I won't do it again though.
70 REPLIES 70

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Dano1955 wrote:
ALMOST been there, ALMOST done that!

:S

X2.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Me too!
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I need to drop my tailgate to unplug the RV and also disconnect the breakaway cable. I also carry these blocks in the bed so VERY unlikely the tailgate will get damaged.

I won't be without my backup camera!

The BS-ing part got me big time. Was finishing up getting ready to leave saying our good byes. Started to pull away and there was a lot of noise. Cord was still attached to pedestal. Pulled over pedestal sparks were flying and water bubbling out of the ground. Also pulled the power cable that was hard wired to the RV right out. NOT a pretty picture, I thought the noise was dragging the trees above. I have a policy, I tell people to please leave until I am setup or torn down before we can talk.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
I have been real close a few times, bsing, side tracked, in a hurry, dark, etc. It is only a matter of time I am sure. Also almost hit the rig with the top of the bed of the truck when backing in to hook up. front of fifth wheel was low, almost again. We are all only human. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
Been there as well, but am so paranoid about it that I creep slowly away. I only bumped the pin box against the tailgate and barely left a mark. Then there was the time I forgot the umbilical and yanked it out of the connector in the bed. No visible damage then either.
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will admit to 3 hitching issues. Two of them it was raining and I got in a hurry. They other one I was BS'ing with a neighbor and not paying attention. Just minor damage to the 5th that a rattle can of paint fixed.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
Ouch!! I really feel bad for you. I'm a newbie 5th wheel owner and I've been hoping that I won't do the same thing.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Ouch !! I've done that twice with GN trailers. Both were in the dark on a wet and muddy worksite. The first one the landing jacks with boards underneath sunk more after checking with a flashlite. Being muddy the tires spun so it only dented the gate.
The second time I forgot to drop the gate and a big rain storm was fixing to hit. I rushed to get unhooked and off the dirt before it turned to mud. This time it pulled the gate completely off the truck.
I put a vented V gate on before making my reload run so the other drivers never knew my goof.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
Yeppers !!! Been there, Done That, took the bows. Even got distracted once and after putting the shore power cord away got distracted and left the front storage compartment door open, drove 150 miles before I noticed it. Never will do that again either. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
This box holds our golf clubs, and does not get in the way of hitching.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Mike_LeClair
Explorer
Explorer
I feel your pain! Total in damages from this tow truck job gone bad was $27,000.00.

Mike

Something Old, Something New
2012 F350 SRW, 6.7l Powerstroke, 3.55's front and rear.
2008 Fleetwood Regal 325RKTS
Mike, Carol and our 4 legged "furry child" Kenzie Shweenie Tod

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The first thing I thought of reading your post... I see a V-tail gate on your wish list. Even those aren't fool proof... kingpin has to be high enough to clear the V. But, they are nice.

Don't beat yourself up. We have all done stupid mistakes. And, I doubt you will do that one again.. Hope your new fifth-wheel wasn't hurt.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I only towed once or twice with the tailgate. Been using a $25 net that I did manage to rip up once. $25 and all was new again. Been plenty of other stuff though 😉

I hope the fix goes ok for you.

ParkCountry
Explorer
Explorer
Try not to be so hard on yourself. You aren't the only guy who this has happened to and you most certainly won't be the last. I have seen the same thing a few times through the years. Life happens. I know you'll never make this mistake again. Ever.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Easy, I use a physical checklist and still goof...usually the steps or wheel blocks.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad