cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions on reputable 5th wheel toy hauler

ExitStategy
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are semi retiring and have been researching full time RVing. We thought we had our toy hauler selection narrowed to grand design momentum or keystone Montana. After reading several negative reviews on their poor quality and terrible support, we are back to square one. Can i get opinions on
Quality 5th wheel toy haulers?
19 REPLIES 19

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
They all have issues at one time or another but having a shop/dealer that is willing to keep you happy by repairing all items that come up, with no excuses is one of the more important aspects of purchasing an RV, I believe they call that "service after the sale". So dealer references should be important also in my opinion. So far my dealer has been A-1!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

RTVenom3911
Explorer
Explorer
Did the same thing reviews were all bad, every brand, find what you like and buy it. repairs after the sale is where the problems start. We found a KZ Venom3911 TK
that works well for what we need it for, year two and off for the first time this year.
RRT

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Find the floorplan you like and buy it. Take care of issues as they arise. All trailers are alike - no quality control during manufacture.

I have to agree. Carry tools. After a couple of trips, you'll know the spare parts you need to keep around. Find some service folks you trust.

Don't ever expect to rely on the warranty. If you get some satisfaction, great. But you'll be on your own. Even if they honor the warranty, it might not be worth the time or within the competence of the dealer.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

Dave_Reed
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a new Jayco Octane T32G (Bumper pull) last year. The layout is not as good as we hoped so we are buying a Forest River Vengeance 388V16 (fifth wheel) soon. The Jayco came in to the dealer with so many issues the service manager suggested we not buy it. We wanted it so they spent 2 weeks with 2 guys fixing it. The dealer stood behind the product! Find the right RV for you and then find the dealer with the best service department. I am anticipating issues with the new camper, but we need the layout and it is the only manufacturer providing it. I can't offer any comments on the Momentum, but I think the whole industry has poor quality. Don't get me started on my 2015 Chaparral boat issues.

BStiers
Explorer
Explorer
Buy what you are happy with. As a general rule folks will go on line and post negative stuff but generally will not take the time to post positive. The negative is a small fraction of the overall sales of a manufacture. I have a fuzion 360 (Which they no longer make) that we love. I have talked to other folks who want to burn theirs to the ground. Buy what you want and pick it apart before leaving the dealer.

CObroker
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth to add to the discussion, we purchased a keystone Carbon 364 (because the layout, CCC, length, etc worked for our particular wants), and have been very happy with it so far.
2017 Ram 3500 SRW w/Aisin
2017 Keystone Carbon 364
2 2017 Suzuki RMX450z bikes
2 Santa Cruz 5010 mtn bikes
2 cats...

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at every single brand we could set foot in and found the Momentum fit us the best. We liked the floorpans, decor, and options the best. Grand Design has outstanding customer service should you need it. We're very happy with our Momentum 349M.
'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
We bought and have fulltimed in a Grand a design 380TH for the last 4 years. We've been pleased with the overall quality, though we have had some repairs needed. The co pant has responded over and above expectations in every case, but I'm Leary enough about dealers to do most work myself or find a reputable Mobile Tech.

From an overall quality standpoint, I'd say buy the layout and features you like regardless of brand (or better yet, that your wife likes). Because of the warranty support after the sale, we'll lean toward buying another Grand Design when we're ready to trade. But....it'd still have to be the right layout!
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Raptor and so far are pretty happy with it. As others have mentioned find a floorplan you can live with based on your requirements. Not too many are a "full time" rated hauler, Full House being one I can think of off hand but they have their issues also, plus they are a little pricey. If you find a brand/model you like, go to the forum for that brand and sign on as a guest and read some of the comments about the model your looking at. One thing we tried to look at was if there were cabinets that were actually usable and reachable. Another item for us was, can we load the frig at the house while being parked on the street, so we opted for one with a curbside frig. We dropped the ball on ours as I kinda wanted one I could access the bed and bath without running slides out but she wanted the side patio so that won out...Lol!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

1Adam12
Explorer
Explorer
Dick 641 wrote:
I've got a Grand Design an couldn't be happier with there support

X2
DW and two boys
2019 Grand Design Momentum 397M
2020 Ram 3500 DRW

judelaurenzo25g
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:
1st rule of the internet

Don't believe what you read on the internet.
Second rule is if you read it on a blog it must be true. lol :B
A ship in harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

judelaurenzo25g
Explorer
Explorer
Find a floor plan that you like and hold on to your hair. You'll be losing a lot while working out all the kinks on pretty much any unit you purchase. It's now become the norm and part of the process.
A ship in harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
1st rule of the internet

Don't believe what you read on the internet.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard mostly good things about Grand Design myself.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor