cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

To cover or not to cover.... that is the question

notobright
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Florida and as you can imagine the sun is just brutal on any type of RV.
Thinking about a cover. But I have questions.

1. Is it a good idea? My biggest concern would be mold. Right behind sun's brutality is the sunshine states's humidity.

2. Opinions on best covers would be great.

Thanks all and Happy RVing!
20 REPLIES 20

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a cover a few years ago.
Tried covering a few times, then just gave in and quit using the cover.

Covering was way too much trouble.
I was always worried about finding it ripped and on the ground at the storage lot like so many others.

I just keep a watchful eye, wash often then put whatever wax is the flavor of the month on a few times a year.

allygerry
Explorer
Explorer
We also cover our fifthwheel as the fl sun is harsh on the decals and finish. Put cover on by myself takes about thirty minutes to install and half of that time to remove. Bought a large trash can on wheels to store it in. After the first install remove cover from the rear into the trash can. So when you reinstall the front of the cover is on top of the can and just pull it up as you climb the ladder. you pull it all the way to the front. Makes for an easier install.

Buckeye_Chuck
Explorer
Explorer
Inside storage for me. Just call them in the morning or the day before I want to use it and they have it out waiting for me. Call them when I bring it back and they put it away until I want it again.
2012 F250 Lariat 6.5ft. bed, 6.2L, 3:73 Gears
2013 Sabre 33CKTS-6

rgreengas
Explorer
Explorer
grampscamper wrote:
My dealer said not to cover. I have a good coat of wax & paint sealer on it. I also wax the front cap 2 or 3 times per year.

What type wax do you use and did you put on the paint sealer?

jbbrick
Explorer
Explorer
I think it depends on how often you use the rv. We have mild weather in the SF area but I go out usually at least once a month, all year. If I was going to let it sit for a few months I think I'd cover it. My decals are fading in some areas but thats the way it goes. 303 Protectant may help but they still take a beating.
'06 Itasca Suncruiser 33'
2016 Ford Edge toad

DickOK
Explorer
Explorer
Living in Tucson, the sun is brutal. We go on the road at least once a month. We have an Adco Sunbrella cover. We have developed a simple way of folding the cover that makes it easy to put on. Taking off is just letting it slide into the truck bed and then folding.
Dick OK

staggerlee
Explorer
Explorer
remoandiris wrote:
No cover.

I agree.
Lee Hubbard๐Ÿ™‚

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
notobright wrote:
We live in Florida and as you can imagine the sun is just brutal on any type of RV.
Thinking about a cover. But I have questions.

1. Is it a good idea? My biggest concern would be mold. Right behind sun's brutality is the sunshine states's humidity.

2. Opinions on best covers would be great.

Thanks all and Happy RVing!

We live on the other side of the state from you. Our fifth wheel was stored in the open and yes the sun gave it a beating, so much so I finally paid double to store it in the covered area of the storage facility. It was faded to begin with, we bought it from a couple that full timed. When we bought our new TT we decided to keep it under cover. I really think you would have trouble with mildew and mold with any cover, no matter how good. Before we moved the fifth wheel under cover, the space it occupied in the storage facility was adjacent to a sprinkler and that particular side of the trailer received little sun exposure through the day. Had nice areas of algae looking stuff growing on the trailer skin. Covered and exposed to rain, I think you would have problems with both the trailer and the cover growing fungus..............

jts140
Explorer
Explorer
Been covering my 2009 Jayco since new and it still looks great. There is always some clean up after taking it off but no sun damage. Only use adco covers. Definitely dangerous if not careful and in physical good shape. A tip for you to remove it, roll both sides up top then use a large trash can and send it down into can like long hot dog and squish it in. Then just have some hand it back up to you and pull it up and then drape both sides down. Keep a dedicated can for it

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
We love the way our cover keeps the rig looking nice and clean between uses - but we take longer trips several months apart. If we used it every weekend, it would be a pain getting it on and off. We have a CalMark cover - made in the USA from Sunbrella fabric made it the USA - much better than the cheapie non-woven cover we had first .....
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

remoandiris
Explorer
Explorer
No cover.
2011 GMC 3500 Dually
New to me 2006 Jayco Designer 38RDQS
2 Boxers and a Maine Coon

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
My dealer said not to cover. I have a good coat of wax & paint sealer on it. I also wax the front cap 2 or 3 times per year.
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Any cover made for rv's will have "breathable" material. Tyvek has an extra vinyl later on the roof, also breathable. That eliminates the concern about mold. I've used one for five seasons and its still in good shape. Carefully put it on and off alone. As mentioned, wind is your enemy, possibly damaging your cover and your unit.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
We do not cover as it is too windy where we live a cover doe not last long.........