cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing Capability

txbassmn
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, wife has me doubting myself now, so here is the question. I have a 2013 F250 6.7L diesel FX4 and thinking about getting a 5th wheel. The one we are looking at is a Bay Hill 295 and dry weight is 10800#, pin weight of 2100#, and can have a gross weight of 14000#. I need to know if anyone thinks I would have a problem pulling this thing. Thank you for any help y'all could give me.
Mark and Vickie, Texas
2013 F250 CC PSD FX4
2014 Evergreen Bay Hill 295RL
77 REPLIES 77

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
gmcsmoke wrote:
lol at the 3/4 ton guys who have to "justify" their purchase. "well GVWR is just a marketing number, the tires can hold more, it's the same axle as a 1 ton, well it's just missing a helper spring". Funny you never hear that from a guy that has a 1 ton.

Not so sure about that!
My 2500 camper Special came from the factory with 3500 springs and sway bar,like many 2500 owners I tow over GVWR, but without the need for Air bags or Timbers, just the stock factory suspension! Truck rides level, and is about 1" form engaging the upper overload springs.

See a lot of 3500 owners installing Air Bags to improve the ride or level the truck. Mine rides fine without them.

My 98 Ram 12V 2500 had the same setup. Towed a 32.5' Avion Platinum very well. No air bags and rode level.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
So much conversation and debate. This is just as much a philosophical quesiton as it is an engineering one. Is a given trailer too much weight for a truck? It's already been discussed in this and a zillion other threads. The truck can tow so much. The axles can hold so much. There is GVWR, etc. All you have to do is run the numbers. Take 25% of gross trailer weight and that should be about the most pin weight you can expect for a given trailer. Run the numbers after you weigh your truck and you can calculate and answer your question. If you don't have the truck yet, some research can show you about how much they weigh over each axle for a given configuration.

The philosophical debate is what happens when DMV in various states forces us recreational truck users into commerical policies when we purchase a truck over 10,000lbs GVWR. It's one of the primary reasons the 3/4 tons exist. At 10,001 lbs, in NC, you have to go commercial. For me, that meant losing my multi-car discount and an additional $900 for a commercial policy. That was $1,200 extra per year. So I purchased a 250 and added air bags with an on-board compressor to bring up the rear when I'm hooked up. It's a silly rule. I am towing a camper that I use 6-8 times per year...which is a recreational activity. I should have been able to purchase the 350 without that insurance penalty for how I use it.

For the OP, remember that you can't go by what truck manufacturers print for payload capacities. That assumes you have the shortest lightest Super Duty they sell. Each length/configuration adds weight. Each option adds weight. All of that steals from your available payload capacity. For instance, a gas F-250 may have 750+ lbs extra payload over a fully optioned 250 diesel with 20" rims because the latter truck weighs so much more. Truck's weight minus 10,000 lbs on a 250 is what you have left for payload -- and remember that passengers, fifth wheel hitch, and of course pin weight all have to be accounted for. On such a heavy truck, you can blow way past your 10,000 lbs easily. Does that mean the truck can't handle it? No. You will likely be under your rear axle rating if you stick to a trailer with a gross of 12,000lbs or under. But will you be over GVWR? Yup...sure will if you approach that much trailer. Will the truck care? Probably not. Will the DOT care if you were sent to the scales? Yup...and they'll be happy to drain your wallet of all remaining cash. The latter is unlikely to happen unless you LOOK overloaded. But again...it all comes down to the numbers and how comfortable you are. I would think an 11,000 - 12,000 lb trailer could be handled by the 250/2500 pretty easily with some air bags depending on pin weight...but you will likely exceed your GVWR.

The conversation can go on and on. BOTTOM LINE: You will never be sorry for having too much truck.

- DNC

txbassmn
Explorer
Explorer
Well after research, found out my truck came with extra on it and the sticker didn't mean anything. I bought the 5'ver we were looking at. Funny thing is, when I was picking mine up there was a guy buying a 5'ver lighter than mine and he had a Chevy 1 ton, and when I saw him hook up and his truck did the squat, I got worried. Then when I hooked mine up a little later I felt a lot better with my Ford 3/4 ton because I couldn't even tell it went down when I hooked up. His lights pointing at the sky, mine was riding level. Made me proud. But thank you to all you guys for your input.
Mark and Vickie, Texas
2013 F250 CC PSD FX4
2014 Evergreen Bay Hill 295RL

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
And the dually guy justifying not getting mdt etc. many reasons I didn't buy a srw one ton. Complex I live in has a bylaw against 3500 plus trucks. Srw one ton only avail in long box when I bought. This made 2500hd my choice. The funny but true part about only diff is one leaf and a sticker made the choice easy.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
gmcsmoke wrote:
lol at the 3/4 ton guys who have to "justify" their purchase. "well GVWR is just a marketing number, the tires can hold more, it's the same axle as a 1 ton, well it's just missing a helper spring". Funny you never hear that from a guy that has a 1 ton.

Not so sure about that!
My 2500 camper Special came from the factory with 3500 springs and sway bar,like many 2500 owners I tow over GVWR, but without the need for Air bags or Timbers, just the stock factory suspension! Truck rides level, and is about 1" form engaging the upper overload springs.

See a lot of 3500 owners installing Air Bags to improve the ride or level the truck. Mine rides fine without them.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
goducks10 wrote:
gmcsmoke wrote:

But there's always the SRW 1 ton guy justifying not getting a DRW:)

BAM !!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
gmcsmoke wrote:

But there's always the SRW 1 ton guy justifying not getting a DRW:)

jbcason
Explorer
Explorer
amxpress wrote:
lol at the 3/4 ton guys who have to "justify" their purchase

I don't need to justify buying my 2500. That's all I could afford at the time and it fit my needs, as it still does. Most important, DW likes the color.
I don't give a R.A. about if others don't like it or have a problem with it.
Well said! Lol My sentiments exactly ?

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
lol at the 3/4 ton guys who have to "justify" their purchase

I don't need to justify buying my 2500. That's all I could afford at the time and it fit my needs, as it still does. Most important, DW likes the color.
I don't give a R.A. about if others don't like it or have a problem with it.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
The company I worked for for 21 years put 11k FARM tags on the truck they give me to drive. It was a Chevy Express Van with a 7800 GVW. Go figure. I didn't. Just drove it. Thier vehicle, thier insurance.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

drfife
Explorer
Explorer
gmcsmoke wrote:

I have a 1 ton and regularly tell folks the ONLY difference between my 3500HD and a 2500HD is some overload springs on the rear axle and a little tag on on the door with different printed GVWR rating.
Russell
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
PA12DRVR wrote:
The below is a darn good question:

"Just which University granted your Mechanical Engineering degree and in what states do you carry P.E. registration?

This is important since you seem to know more about axle design than the Engineers working for the manufacturers."

To the OP: the question for you to decide is whether you want to stay within the ratings provided by the manufacturers or whether you want to go with the opinions of a bunch of self-assured internet experts.

Those same experts will critique the GVWR and GCVWR provided by the manufacturer ("its no different than the 350" "Legally, it doesn't matter" "Axle ratings are all that matter"), but the only party that assembled and evaluated the entire truck is the manufacturer.

Again, your call if you want to remain within the manufacturer's ratings or if you want to ignore them. When I towed my 5th wheel, I felt it as an acceptable risk to be 500#'s over the GVWR (on a 13,000 # GVWR) since I was about 3,000#s under the GCVWR and since that 500# overage only came if I had full water tanks plus everything else as loaded for a month-long trip.

You keep saying axles. If the axle/rear differential is the same one in 250/2500's and 350/3500 SRW's, where is the difference in the axles? The rear axle in GM and Dodge 2500/3500 trucks is the same AAM rated at somewhere between 10500 and 11500 depending on where you look. Chris

I didn't say axles. I cited people who assert that "The axles are the same, so GVWR doesn't matter" as one paradigm that the original poster could follow, thus choosing to believe internet experts.

Alternatively, the OP could follow the manufacturer's recommendation since the manufacturer would know not only the axles used in the truck, but the bolts, springs, transmissions, etc ...in summary everything, including stuff that internet experts may or may not know.

Again, up to the OP to either follow or ignore the manufacturer's recommendation.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

jimmac28
Explorer
Explorer
My 2011 F250 4x2 exten. cab, is rated at 3533lb and its a gasser.
2014.5 DRV Tradition 385RSS
2013 Ford F350 Diesel DRW

SLE
Explorer
Explorer
mallardtuff wrote:

If anybody can help I'm looking for a bunkhouse model in the 34-37 foot range. Any ideas?

Cedar Creek Silverback 35L4QB, 35QB4, or 37BH

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a gasser mine has over 3000 lbs payload F250 XLT 4+4 extre cab.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.