cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are most common greenhorn mistakes?

UncleFudd
Explorer
Explorer
Our Cedar Creek is online this week & Ford truck next week so soon we are at a stage where the rubber must meet the road. Have read several threads about hitches and pull test and find a variety of opinions. As we are getting the factory installed Reese 25k hitch and the six point auto leveling system maybe good maybe not good not sure after reading variety of opinions on these. Do find the entry about 6 point system apparently not allowing manual control disappointing. All our motor home auto leveling systems had a manual option with individual control of each jack.
My question though is in your experience & observations what are the most common and dangerous mistakes us greenhorns usually make when hooking up and leaving a site? Also I have searched Trailer World for a check list and found none. Any fifth wheel hookup type checklists out there? They are numerous for the moho prep, surely the fifth wheel pubs also have them.
Whatever comes to mind that might help would be appreciated. Confidence building is the important factor at this point.
As always thanks for your time and advice. It is appreciated.
Jim
41 REPLIES 41

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
Gray Fox wrote:
Don't forget to give your dear wife something to do also, so you can check what she did, and she can check what you did.

X2. Make it a team effort and back each other up.

Smashing head on pin box doesn't seem to be a greenhorn mistake for me. Watch out for that sucker.

Soo true!!! The bedroom slide is another that will leave you seeing stars.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Gray Fox wrote:
Don't forget to give your dear wife something to do also, so you can check what she did, and she can check what you did.

X2. Make it a team effort and back each other up.

Smashing head on pin box doesn't seem to be a greenhorn mistake for me. Watch out for that sucker.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Artemus_Gordon
Explorer
Explorer
Connect hose to sewer dump first! Just in case line has residue. That way you can catch it in the hose. Messy but of two senerios the best. Heard of kids recently pulling "black tank dumps" on parked trailers. When owner goes to hook up, well you get the idea!
2012 Montana 3750 Hickory Edition, 2013 Ford F450 Crew Cab 4x4 Platinum options

2012 3750 Montana

Generator Box

ryhed
Explorer
Explorer
bhartzman wrote:
Charles wrote:
...learn that attaching the descriptor "RV" to a product usually
results in a 10-30 % mark-up.... shop around for "like" items
on the net or local.

Truer words were never spoken. Having lived aboard a sailboat for several years, you quickly learn that "marine" in front of any item doubles the price. I have a Magic Chef counter-top ice maker from Walmart that was $139. The identical unit under a different label is available from CampingWorld for $299 and a silver finish vs my white one.

So true. I bought my Butterball turkey fryer, steamer, boiler from alco for $99, saw the same electric one with a white finish at cabella's for $199. I did not check to see if it was 12 volts or not, mine is not, bought it before I had a camper.

ryhed
Explorer
Explorer
Tires, check them.

KFS
Explorer
Explorer
My experience? Maintenance.

We purchased a used but spotless 1995 Wilderness 5th Wheel two summers ago. We love our little "short but sweet" and thought we were taking great care of it.

I'm embarrassed to admit that two very handy DIY types in their mid-40's managed to completely miss the memo about roof maintenance. Now that we've already had a leak we are slapping our foreheads and saying "well of course we probably should have ..."

Vvvv1010
Explorer
Explorer
UncleFudd wrote:

My question though is in your experience & observations what are the most common and dangerous mistakes us greenhorns usually make when hooking up and leaving a site?
Jim
Sometimes we don't pull out of a site the same way we came in or backed in and we rub up against a tree or tree limbs. Trees cause heavy scratches and tears down your sides or roof....I'm adding this one to my checklist.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight G2 32BHDS
2011 Ford F250 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Two 10'0 Kayaks

bhartzman
Explorer
Explorer
Charles wrote:
on the net or local.

Truer words were never spoken. Having lived aboard a sailboat for several years, you quickly learn that "marine" in front of any item doubles the price. I have a Magic Chef counter-top ice maker from Walmart that was $139. The identical unit under a different label is available from CampingWorld for $299 and a silver finish vs my white one.

Thinking outside the Marine or RV world will save lots of $$s in the long run for identical products. I'm already wondering how the expensive blackwater tank treatment chemicals stack up against the cheaper septic tank products. Comments from someone who has both?
Bill Hartzman
Augusta, GA

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Atom Ant wrote:
I didn't see it mentioned, but to me one of the most common mistakes is over-reacting to issues from the Forum.

The forum is a great place to learn if you learn to take everything with a little grain of salt. Take a breath, do your own homework to find facts and add a little of your own common sense that got you this far before you react to some of the sky is falling subjects here. What may seem like an epidemic of failures may just be a few that like to talk about it a lot on multiple threads.

^^^^
Liking this:
We know it's all just talk that will be soon forgotten.
:C

Remember kids don't try anything at home till it gets the RV.NET stamp of approval! ... we're all experts here...I think?

😉

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
*REALLY IMPORTANT* - - and it's a MUST DO -FREE- "modification"!

Leave "Star Gazing" to movie premiers!.:W

*Everyone* 'ducks under' the front of the 5th for some reason at one time or another - when it's un-hitched..;)

Work out a "head banger" (head protection) solution for your pin box and pin!

Be creative - lots of free and easy solutions!.:C

*If* you want to buy one, see -Safe Zone-

The purchased variety will set you back about $55. which is (still) way less than seeing stars - and/or the ER for stiches in your noggin!

~

sele
Explorer
Explorer
itsabouttime wrote:
As already mentioned, take it s l o w, especially when you are getting ready to move. Make a comprehensive checklist and give it to your wife. Ask her to add anything she can think of too. Let her use the checklist every time you get ready to go and never fuss at her for double checking what you "know" you have already done. I agree with everything else that has been written by the other posters on this thread. As Mister Rogers (on TV) used to tell the preschoolers, "take your time to do it right".
x2 we will be completely done and just sit and visit for a couple of minutes then go over everything one last time before we pull out.
scott

BigT
Explorer
Explorer
The most important rule for me is: If someone comes over and wants to talk or wants to "help" I just stop what I am doing and wait until they leave. Trying to talk to someone while I am hooking up or unhooking is a receipe for disaster. Everyone has their routine, and you will develop yours in time, and when some well meaning person comes by to be friendly we can all get distracted. The second most important rule for me is to stop and listen when DW says "Why is this ..........." It's best to pay attention when you hear those words, even if you're thinking you know better. Trust me!

When you are a newbie, just take you time and double check everthing and then check again. You will do fine!
2012 Hitchhiker Discover America 349 RSB
Bigfoot levelers, Tailgater satellite
2011 Ford F350 PSD, Pullrite Superglide
RDS Toolbox Tank Combo, Garmin GPS & an itch to hit the road

Gray_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
Gray Fox
2014 F350 4x4 Diesel Lariat
2009 HitchHiker-LS 34.5 RLTG
Always keep moving so you don't seize up.

cdlaine
Explorer
Explorer
Fudd,

Thought of a couple more....

...resist the urge to buy the latest gadget, widget, gizmo
to make RV'ing easier... place a moratorium on "new purchases"
regardless of glowing Forum endorsements. Give it time, a season
or two.... this is one area in which a mature approach can
really save some money.

on the net or local.

...avoid "memberships" until you really have done your homework...
talk to fellow campers, get all pros-n-cons, ..."memberships" will
still be available, as will "on sales" in a year or three.

...spend your time learning how your set-up works.... do the homework
... big up front learning curve if you are new to this..not
so much if you bring knowledge to the table.

...establish a maintenance schedule...ounce of prevention stuff.

...bring extra flashlights.... most stuff happens after the sun
goes down...accessable ponchos can be your friend.

...have some fun !

Charles
2003 2500HD, 8.1L,CC,4.10,2WD,Allison
Standard bed
Ride-rite air bags
Prodigy
Husky 16K sliding

2013 Artic Fox 29-5T Silver Fox Ed.
Pin wt.(CAT Scale) 2660#
5th (Cat Scale) 12600#

I'll want the Frim Fram sauce with the Ausen Fey with
Chafafa on the side.... Nat