cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What are the top 5 brands for 5W?

punjab66
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking to switch from a TT to a 5W. Can someone list the top 5 brands for quality and dependability. Thanks
92 REPLIES 92

Acei
Explorer
Explorer
OP needs to specify the budget. Without it, obviously the best built (but most expensive) trailers are going to be the best.

Out of the still-running-business manufacturers, it will be DRV (only Elite and Mobile Suites), Excel, and Lifestyle. The rest aren't as well built, hence they are cheaper. But these are close to $100k or more (depending on the models) when properly equipped, which may not be what you had in mind. Most of these are also very heavy, so you will need 350/3500 diesel duallies minimum, which may or may not work for the OP.

Traveler_II
Explorer
Explorer
It's somewhat new but "Lifestyle" looks like a good fiver.
2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 185
Nights Camped in 2015 - 231
Nights Camped in 2016 - 162

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn wrote:
Finally some folk actually answered the question.

In addition to NuWa, Excel by Peterson, Mobile Suite; I would recommend (actually above all others) New Horizon.

You will note I did -not- recommend Arctic Fox, which I don't think is among the 5 "best" brands... It is among the best VALUE rigs out there (note my signature)

yep, forgot about New Horizon...you are also right about your Arctic Fox:)
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Finally some folk actually answered the question.

In addition to NuWa, Excel by Peterson, Mobile Suite; I would recommend (actually above all others) New Horizon.

You will note I did -not- recommend Arctic Fox, which I don't think is among the 5 "best" brands... It is among the best VALUE rigs out there (note my signature)
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

carpetguy2
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I did a lot of rv shows and searched a lot.Best is what you like in the designs and what your pocket book can handle.Every one has some sort of issue.And different opinions.
We Went with a Foerest river Sandpiper .
What we ended up with and has been good .
Good luck
2007.5 chevy 3500 ltz CC LB Duramax
2016 Open range 3x378
Some other toys too

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Pop-Pop C wrote:
Mobile Suitet,Excel, Nu-Wa would be above Montana and anynForest river or Thor
Product. IOM.

Finally an answer that would possibly be closer to answering the OP's question.

OP, when you ask this question , MOST will recommend their own 5er....it's just the way it happens around here.

The above with Mobile Suites, Excel and Nu-Wa is a pretty good answer...some not manufactured any more if I'm not mistaken might be a Carriage and also Teton...there are others, but these mentioned would more than likely be included in the conversation....

I think "MINE" is great, but you asked for the TOP FIVE BRANDS"..purely subjective, but there are those, again, some mentioned above that would possibly fall into your category.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

EndeavorV10
Explorer
Explorer
hammer21661 wrote:
I said it before. I will NEVER own another Heartland But have had decent success with the keystones. If you really want the truth the ones the average working stiff can afford are all junk.

I think price reflects Quality is close but size matters. If you get a 40 footer for 40k new you are probably not getting the best quality.

Agreed, we looked at other companies that were same length (39.8 or 40ft) and for the money we paid for the 3725RL we couldn't find anything close.

My wife loved a Palomino we looked at but at $20,000 less we could see the differences in the frame and other areas that explained the large difference in price.
2013 Montana 3725RL Fifth Wheel
Saving up for F-350 Premium Dually 6.7 Diesel
My RV Blog

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
Mobile Suitet,Excel, Nu-Wa would be above Montana and anynForest river or Thor
Product. IOM.

jayhardy
Explorer
Explorer
The Mountaineer came it at 11,500lbs. Pulling with 2006 Dodge Ram diesel shortbed with no problem. Technology is awesome regarding lighter Fivers!!!

jayhardy
Explorer
Explorer
MONTANA FAMILY- Had a Montana 32' 2955RL for 7yrs with no issues and just bought a 2014 Montana Mountaineer 38'. Love it!!!

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
I said it before. I will NEVER own another Heartland But have had decent success with the keystones. If you really want the truth the ones the average working stiff can afford are all junk.

I think price reflects Quality is close but size matters. If you get a 40 footer for 40k new you are probably not getting the best quality.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
We kept our eyes open while camping. Take a drive through some local rv parks or state parks and if you see one you like, jot the name down. We found that the nicer more expensive top of the line units were never at the RV shows. The one we ended up with we had never seen before. The closest dealer for us that sold the unit was 250 miles away. We finally met a couple at Bryce National Park who had one and they gave us the tour and as a mechanical engineer, he told me why it was his choice. After looking at many,a year later we had one. Like I say, just keep your eyes open and search the internet. Like most on this forum, I am not a mechanical or structural engineer and don't get involved in brand wars. Best of luck in your search. We love every RV we have had.

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
at what price point ?

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

simsfmly
Explorer
Explorer
Montana's are the most popular by sales, I believe. Heartland products (Landmark, BigHorn, etc.) have good quality and dependability. You're never going to get a consensus on the "top five". You're just going to have to do your research and believe the data you deem believable.

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
I sure love my Jayco!
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator