cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is really deductible?

tomthyme
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen a few posts that say the interest on an rv loan is deductible like a home mortgage. Is this true? I'll double-check with our accountant as she may already have us covered, but I am curious as to your experiences. Is the RV a primary or secondary residence? For us it is secondary.
Thanks for the info!
Tom
2015 F350 King Ranch Dually 4x4, 22k Reese hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo 37cksls
Sarah (most beautiful creature in the world)
Mickey (105lb golden - good thing he's pretty)
Ashlee (85lb lab - spectacular pal)
Dutch (120lb lab - young one in training)
15 REPLIES 15

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
You won't get a 1099 anyway, but you also will not get a form 1098, which is the form the lenders send to mortgage payers. The 1099 if for interest and dividends that are paid to you.
John A. Lichty

tomthyme
Explorer
Explorer
Great news folks! thanks for the info!
2015 F350 King Ranch Dually 4x4, 22k Reese hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo 37cksls
Sarah (most beautiful creature in the world)
Mickey (105lb golden - good thing he's pretty)
Ashlee (85lb lab - spectacular pal)
Dutch (120lb lab - young one in training)

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
txdutt wrote:
You probably won't get a 1099 for the interest on an RV loan-you'll have to calculate it yourself & put it in as a separate deduction--not a big deal-just a little legwork needed

You are correct in not receiving a 1099. We used to, but not anymore, but you can easily contact the financial institution for this information.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Kittykath
Explorer II
Explorer II
tjfogelberg wrote:
For those who itemize (roughly 1/3 of taxpayers), it is a commonly forgotten deduction. Most RV lenders do not send out a tax statement at the end of the year so it gets forgotten. You can go back 3 years and amend if necessary if it was missed and you utilized Schedule A (Itemized Deductions).

Did this to the tune of an additional $1,036 back in my pocket!

txdutt
Explorer
Explorer
You probably won't get a 1099 for the interest on an RV loan-you'll have to calculate it yourself & put it in as a separate deduction--not a big deal-just a little legwork needed
2011 Ford F250 Lariat C/C 6.7 PSD w/Curt 20K Lb Hitch & rear Timbrens
2013 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2013 Infinity 3860MS 5'er/15.5K GVW/41'
U.S. Navy 1978-1986

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
Pulsar obviously has it right as it's the quote out of the IRS Pub. I have used the second home deduction for many years for deducting camper or boat interest.

Please note that it simply states "sleeping, cooking, and toilet facilities". You only need some form of permanent sleeping facility, a permanent built-in toilet (or a head in the case of a boat), and something to cook with. My SeaRay had a single alcohol burner (built in) to satisfy the 'cooking' requirement, a small head, and a v-berth for sleeping but that's all it took.

My point is that you do not need a full blown kitchen with stove and oven, huge bathroom or a king sized bed in your RV to make the interest on it 'second home deductible'. Many/most/all folks with smaller campers, including some pop-ups, will qualify.

Tim

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Pulsar obviously has it right as it's the quote out of the IRS Pub. I have used the second home deduction for many years for deducting camper or boat interest.

Please note that it simply states "sleeping, cooking, and toilet facilities". You only need some form of permanent sleeping facility, a permanent built-in toilet (or a head in the case of a boat), and something to cook with. My SeaRay had a single alcohol burner (built in) to satisfy the 'cooking' requirement, a small head, and a v-berth for sleeping but that's all it took.

My point is that you do not need a full blown kitchen with stove and oven, huge bathroom or a king sized bed in your RV to make the interest on it 'second home deductible'. Many/most/all folks with smaller campers, including some pop-ups, will qualify.

Tim

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming you pay more than the standard deduction in interest plus other deductions, which is over 12k, then yes.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, we too deduct on our taxes for our fifth wheel, as our accountant says is fully self contained and is counted as a vacation home. If we had an RV and a sticks and brick vacation home, only the interest on one can be counted in addition to our primary residence.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
For those who itemize (roughly 1/3 of taxpayers), it is a commonly forgotten deduction. Most RV lenders do not send out a tax statement at the end of the year so it gets forgotten. You can go back 3 years and amend if necessary if it was missed and you utilized Schedule A (Itemized Deductions).

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, take all you can get!! Legally.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
See IRS Publication 936

For you to take a home mortgage interest deduction, your debt must be secured by a quali- fied home. This means your main home or your second home. A home includes a house, con- dominium, cooperative, mobile home, house trailer, boat, or similar property that has sleep- ing, cooking, and toilet facilities.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

jf831024
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, yes, yes, YES!!!
๐Ÿ™‚
2011 Fuzion Touring Edition 3
2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ Duramax Diesel

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
Yes...you can deduct loan interest as a first or second home, as long as it has full sleeping, kitchen and bath facilities. Did it for many years as our second home...now that it's our first home we actually take standard deduction as it works out better for us. Don't have enough deductions anymore...
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel