cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

About 99% sure it will work.

emaav
Explorer
Explorer
The better half and myself think we have a plan of action kinda.

We are both on disability so stable income is taken care of.

After all bills are taken care of (car payment, health ins, vehicle ins, meds, phones, internet and food. We will have about $400 left over for fuel a month. We want to travel and see the country. Time is not an issue but we want to try and boondock as much as possible and take advantage of the BLM land for the 21 days a month.

We have led interior lights, 200 watts of solar, an extra 35 gallon H2O bladder for the truck bed.

Our home state would be Oregon, the question I am asking is where should we go first?

Looking foward to your ideas and replies..
Me (Eli)
Better Half (Trinity)
2 cats
1999 Chevy 3500
1993 Shadow Cruiser 21F21RD
42 REPLIES 42

richardwise
Explorer
Explorer
You never know what tomorrow or even the next moment will bring. I had an almost life ending accident on my way to work 6 years ago, and have been disabled ever since, but could never get disability. I worked best I could until I hit 62 and have been retired for 2 years now. In 3 days, my right leg will be amputated as a result of that accident. With my wife now retired, we were looking forward to finally becoming snowbirds this year, on a very limited budget like yours. Now, I don't know if I'll even be able to drive again. If your health allows, do it! You will find a way.

jackdi
Explorer
Explorer
We have been full time for 1/12 years. We travel with 2 horses, ride almost everyday.
Only stay at full-hookup campgrounds.We stay a minimum of 3 months
at each site.We have no car payments or 5th wheel payments.
We live on $3200 per month. We have worked when we need extra but have never worked more than 20 hours per week. If you are willing to work a little there are jobs out there,probably minimum wage. We love what we do and would never change it.Live your dream anything is possible if you are willing to do whatever it takes. If we run out money we don't do anything until we get our checks.

Jack and Dianne
320rs Columbus
3500 Dodge Ram
Iowa
Living our Dream

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We always budget $1.00 per mile while traveling that includes fuel, CG fees and we do use all available discounts GS's, Escapees, Golden PP, sightseeing, and we tend to eat out more while on the road. However the 3-6 months we sit volunteering between our travels more than covers it.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

SCR
Explorer
Explorer
You can't take the Fisherman out of this Camper wrote:
How about back to the drawing board? I hesitate to discourage you, but $400 per month for fuel will not take you very far! I go through that in two days on the road and your vehicle is not going to use any less fuel than mine does! Be prepared for very short and infrequent trips.

I have to assume that the OP has covered the other expenses in their budget and is only speaking of a portion of their budget for fuel being $400.00 per month.

Not knowing what kind of MPG the tow vehicle gets I figured on the low side of 10 miles per gallon and a fuel cost of $3.70 per gallon (The amount I paid yesterday). $400.00/$3.70 per gallon = 108 Gallons * 10 miles per gallon = 1,081 miles per month.

Seems more then adequate to me. The USA is 2,880 miles wide so technically speaking the OP could drive coast to coast @ $400.00 per month in less then 3 months. 2,880/1,081 = 2.664 months.

Increased fuel cost per gallon means less miles per month. Driving two vehicles means less miles per month. Less then 10 MPG means less miles per month. Still it seems to me that with careful planning things should be fine.

If site fees are not covered then that is a horse of a different color.

The Corps of Engineers offer a 50% discount on fees with a America the Beautiful Access Pass. for persons with disabilities.

RoadLife
Explorer
Explorer
Head down to Quartzsite, Az for the winter. Boondock on BLM land - in the short-term BLM area it is free for 14 days. Long Term is $180 for seven months or $40 for two weeks.

Boondocking Guide for Ca and Az
ROADLIFE

RV Part Timers Blog

2003 40' Allegro BUS - 2 slides
2013 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 OffRoad 2014 XC60 Volvo
Shasta - Australian Shepherd; Boomer - Brittany;
Pancho - border terrier

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
emaav wrote:
We have been living in the RV for a few months now. We have gotten rid of on essentials. It is just time for us to explore a bit. We have a fall back plan if traveling is not for us.

It really surprises me how no one really is willing to take a chance on life and just see what happens.

Why all the negativity? I know things happen, but you can either worry about it or just face each one and overcome.
Point the nose south and then east. Go as long as the money goes then stop till funds are available. I have visited the Napa Valley before and I really enjoyed the experience.
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Where sholld you go first?

Meander around and explore.

Plan to be in Arizona, South Texas, or South Florida when it gets cold. Say.... mid November?
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

$400 dollars a month is simply not enough money for fuel budget. I also did not see any money set aside for maintenance and repairs in your post. ......snip......

There's also no mention of site rent in the threadstarter (below)-?

emaav wrote:

After all bills are taken care of (car payment, health ins, vehicle ins, meds, phones, internet and food. We will have about $400 left over for fuel a month. We want to travel and see the country.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
br549redneck wrote:
I don't see any negativity in the prior post. I see a lot of REALITY....

x2

To the OP: you asked and forum members are giving you their advice based on experience.

We will have about $400 left over for fuel a month. We want to travel and see the country.

When I went full time I was financially secure to do so. And I was still very surprised how much money went towards fuel as I started traveling. And that was even with staying longer periods of time in one place to benefit from just the lower monthly CG fees I finally realized was available. :B

You will not be able to "see the country" on that budget. You will be able to go to a CG within your circumference of allocated fuel budget and sit until the next month. And hope you like it there.

$400 dollars a month is simply not enough money for fuel budget. I also did not see any money set aside for maintenance and repairs in your post. Staying at home with a limited budget is one thing it truely doesn't work when traveling. IMHO, JMHO You'd be always on pins and needles that nothing out of the ordinary happened that you would not be able to afford. Just saying.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, after reading lots of blogs and forums I pretty much figured out that if you wanna do it right and have some fun you have to have deep pockets. We have friends that do it but they have tons of money. They take cruises, go to fancy restaurants stay at good parks. Prices are sky rocketing and our income declines with insurance and necessities rising. Going full timing with a tight budget is one step above a transient.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

lovemytt
Explorer
Explorer
In looking at your map, go East young man. Health cannot be bought. Wanderers have a place in everyone's prayers. A back up plan to get back to your support system is always nice.
2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Hemi Engine
2012 R-Vision Crossover 200

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sell the car.......

You have a truck and 5th wheel so no need for car going FT in RV.

Car payment, car insurance,car maintenance, car fuel......save you some monies.
Your truck and 5th wheel are older so more monies available without that car to keep them roadworthy.

Combine it with your $400 and you might have a better chance of enjoying the FT vs just existing.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

br549redneck
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see any negativity in the prior post. I see a lot of REALITY. For instance say your going on one of your 800 mile trips. Your transmission goes out, you blow a couple of tires and its 40 miles to the nearest town. Or your fridge, heater, ac goes out. With $400 a month it would darn sure be an adventure not something I would want to try. And with the pain and suffering your going through one trip to the emergency room and you have lost more than your $400 monthly allowance.

emaav
Explorer
Explorer
We have been living in the RV for a few months now. We have gotten rid of on essentials. It is just time for us to explore a bit. We have a fall back plan if traveling is not for us.

It really surprises me how no one really is willing to take a chance on life and just see what happens.

Why all the negativity? I know things happen, but you can either worry about it or just face each one and overcome.
Me (Eli)
Better Half (Trinity)
2 cats
1999 Chevy 3500
1993 Shadow Cruiser 21F21RD

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
400 dollars might you to the CA border. Consider getting rid of everything unecessary to living on the road. That might free up enough cash to actually live your dream. Realistically your 400 a month is not nearly enough for anything.