cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

cops stopping you

lucasland
Explorer
Explorer
as your full timing it, if a cop stops you and asks "do you live in your RV?". what is your response. also what do you do if they ask you if they can search your RV?
"Tell all your friends about me, especially the pretty ones" - Ed
51 REPLIES 51

path1
Explorer
Explorer
For the law enforcement people on here, how long does it take to get a warrant now days?

I would think with all the modern communications maybe a "tele" type or something like an e-mail to your unit in matter of minutes?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
Darrah wrote:
Paulcardoza, never said it was a lie.
If you are retired and travel around a lot... it can be called a vacation.
Point of view is different for every single person, biased on one's own life expenses.

But I understand where your coming from as well.

The problem is when you are fulltime you are NOT on vacation...your RV is your home...and my life experiences are that even the smallest of "lies" will almost always lead to trouble. JMHO.
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

Darrah
Explorer
Explorer
Paulcardoza, never said it was a lie.
If you are retired and travel around a lot... it can be called a vacation.
Point of view is different for every single person, biased on one's own life expenses.

But I understand where your coming from as well.
Pat (human I think.)
2015 MyPod by Little Guy.
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
WOW!! This entire thread reeks of paranoia!!

Been fulltime for 9 years and have NEVER been asked that question! However, we are not living on the street...we stay in campgrounds or approved boondocking areas. I see absolutely no reason to lie about my circumstances.

As for searching my RV...the answer would be not without a warrant...simply because of reasons stated above...if something out of the ordinary is found you have no recourse.

As for not trusting LEO's in general...that without a doubt is pure paranoia...when you treat them with the same respect you demand they will give you no problem...at least that has been our experience.
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
At least on American soil, stand up for your Fifth Amendment rights ... Don't talk to the cops.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

donandmax
Explorer
Explorer
GrumpyGator wrote:
Wow... LOL! I'm a retired Felon, and I welcome any LEO to search my RV anytime they want.

If you ain't violating the law, who cares?

Who cares?? The many reasons above for needing a warrant. You need a warrant period, unless you are very foolish.....
If it aint broke fix it till it is

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
If I was fulltiming and was asked the question, I don't see why my first reaction should be to lie to the police? What good can come of that?

Darrah wrote:
lucasland,

If for some some reason you did get stoped by an officer of the law and asked if you live in your RV?
I would tell them only when I'm on vacation like now... And that they have a great city to visit...

Or if it happens in your home town, let them know your heading out the lake for a camping trip.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

Darrah
Explorer
Explorer
lucasland,

If for some some reason you did get stoped by an officer of the law and asked if you live in your RV?
I would tell them only when I'm on vacation like now... And that they have a great city to visit...

Or if it happens in your home town, let them know your heading out the lake for a camping trip.
Pat (human I think.)
2015 MyPod by Little Guy.
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
First of all if you are driving down the road THAT question is not on a cops list of what he can stop you for.

Now....if you are "living on the streets illegally in the MH" that's a whole nuther story! If someone has complained about you parking illegally? Yup the cops going to ask you that question because he has received a complaint about you and you ARE on his streets he patrols!

Full Time RV'ing and living on the streets in an RV are not the same.:W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Deputy_Chief_P_
Explorer
Explorer
I cannot see where any LEO would ask you if you are living in your RV, unless you are parking it in a spot that is illegal or in a spot where you are overstaying your welcome, such as a Walmart Parking lot. There are people who appear to be vagrants and are making a nuscience of themselves by loitering or panhandling. LEO's generally will not stop you unless they have recieved a complaint or there are some surrounding suspicious activity.

I personally would never allow anyone to search my rig unless they are in possession of a search warrant.
My advice is worth what you paid for it!

Both of us are Retired Law Enforcement

2003 Pace Arrow 36B
Ansel Adams Edition
3 slide outs
FMCA
Good Sams Lifetime Member

2014 Jeep Patriot Toad

GrumpyGator
Explorer
Explorer
Wow... LOL! I'm a retired Felon, and I welcome any LEO to search my RV anytime they want.

If you ain't violating the law, who cares?
2015 Keystone Passport Elite 23RB

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
path1 wrote:
lucasland wrote:
as your full timing it, if a cop stops you and asks "do you live in your RV?". what is your response. also what do you do if they ask you if they can search your RV?

lucasland wrote:
from what i've heard some places its illegal to live in your vehicle, regardless of what it is. some cops can be jerks about it too. I heard one cop recently state he keeps an eye out for some rv's cause full timing is popular for parolees and others on probation, so he likes to take an extra close look when he can

Don't worry if your concerned about any of the above you've posted don't get a RV, you'll spend all your time looking over your shoulder instead of enjoying yourself.

IMHO OP is looking at it from a 'stealth camper' perspective.

Yep as in previous posts

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
path1 wrote:
lucasland wrote:

lucasland wrote:
from what i've heard some places its illegal to live in your vehicle, regardless of what it is. some cops can be jerks about it too. I heard one cop recently state he keeps an eye out for some rv's cause full timing is popular for parolees and others on probation, so he likes to take an extra close look when he can

Don't worry if your concerned about any of the above you've posted don't get a RV, you'll spend all your time looking over your shoulder instead of enjoying yourself.

IMHO OP is looking at it from a 'stealth camper' perspective.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

path1
Explorer
Explorer
lucasland wrote:

lucasland wrote:

Don't worry if your concerned about any of the above that you've posted don't get a RV, you'll spend all your time looking over your shoulder instead of enjoying yourself.

Aside from that, I never ever "live" in my RV; ever! Reason...If I did I would be breaking many places that have laws about "cohabitation" in vehicles. I "live" exactly at the address listed on my drivers license, registration and insurance card.

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
16 years of full-timing and never any problems. We've gone through many border crossings - never checked. Never heard of anyone having a problem. If you don't give them a reason to check on you then don't worry.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel