cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Am I the only one here?

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
It seems that almost every time I take my MH in for repair (which is practically following each trip), it has to stay at the repair shop longer and longer. Sometimes that stay is for weeks and even months. Usually, the "hold up" (that term can be interpreted in two ways...each correct) is due to "waiting for parts". Can anyone tell me why it takes such a long time to receive parts? Does the part have to be manufactured (of course not)? If I order something on Amazon, it's at my door in two or three days. Does this bother anyone else or am I just full of baloney...or is it turkey? / Larry
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake
30 REPLIES 30

db7512
Explorer
Explorer
usersmanual wrote:
db7512 wrote:
My dealership let's me send photos to them which they need for warranty repair and to ensure the correct part is ordered
When the part arrives we agree on a date and I usally wait or pick it up that afternoon after the work is done.

could be but that's only a fraction of what warrenty repairs entail
lots of times its a short some where or breaker tripping for no reason or ac not cooling correctly ,jack inoperable or etc etc etc
pretty hard to send a picture of any of these required repairs

I have been lucky and have not had the dealership do any troubleshooting other than over the phone. The parts issue I have found is two parts. One is if it is warranty it has to be approved before the part is ordered. Two is the actual order and shipping of the part.
2016 Newmar Ventana
2016 Ford Edge

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
We also stay in the coach while at the shop so I can keep and eye on the progress

a efficient good rv techs worst nightmare

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
db7512 wrote:
My dealership let's me send photos to them which they need for warranty repair and to ensure the correct part is ordered
When the part arrives we agree on a date and I usally wait or pick it up that afternoon after the work is done.

could be but that's only a fraction of what warrenty repairs entail
lots of times its a short some where or breaker tripping for no reason or ac not cooling correctly ,jack inoperable or etc etc etc
pretty hard to send a picture of any of these required repairs

db7512
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Newmar Ventana
2016 Ford Edge

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've seldom had that issue but I make a list of stuff to have done at my favorite facility in Bend than make the appointment well in advance. We also stay in the coach while at the shop so I can keep and eye on the progress. I do very little myself but this works for me.

I have yet to use a service center that doesn't allow me to stay with the coach and I firmly believe that just dropping it off keeps it at the back of the queue.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
The Dealerships around here are 6 weeks out from getting an appt to park it on the lot so you can get in que, then wait maybe 4 weeks for someone to look at it as they get time, then however long they want to say for parts.

Probably has nothing to do with parts- has everything to do with their sales prep units getting priority over yours, other units they consider more of an emergency, etc. If you tell them you are going on vacation in 6 weeks, you will have to fight them to get it back the day before you leave.

As others have said, I try to do everything myself.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
In 40 years of RV ownership I have never left an RV at the shop overnight. I do most of the repairs myself but on the things I could not do I made an appointment with a clear understanding of how long it would take to make the repair. I drop it off in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon. If they need parts I have them call me when the parts arrive and I make another appointment to have them installed. I have always kept my RV's inside a covered building and I don't want it sitting at the dealership outside in the elements with an invitation on the door for someone to remove items that appeal to them. If the shop will not do it this way then I go to one that will.

I read on this forum where people have left their RV at the dealership for months waiting on repair. I would never accept this. If it were a warranty repair then I would be on the phone with the manufacture making arrangements to have the work completed elsewhere or by a mobile tech.

The dealerships will do this if the customer allows it. If all the customers went elsewhere they would would either change their ways or go out of business. Just my 2 cents worth.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

ratfink09
Explorer
Explorer
Same problem for me. If I make an "appointment" for repairs I get the impression it is only a time slot to drop the RV off not to actually work on it. Whole different attitude regarding service appointments than my car dealer and Harley dealer. They do a good job with the repair however. If I can help it this RV will not go back to the dealer unless absolutely necessary.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
I would never leave my rv just sit on there lot, they can check it out ,then I,ll take it home till parts come in, and if you want it fixed fast? call a mobile tech, they will get the parts have it repaired before the engine gets cold. parts can be over nighted for a few bucks .

This is probably the best way to do it! As your rig sits on an rv lot, you're a "captured audience", they can take as long as they want, and you'll still be there. The mobile tech needs to get the job done, or you'll call someone else. Even if it's a few bucks more (and I don't even know if it is) it would be worth it.

Also wonder, what is breaking every time you take a trip? In 5 years of osnership, ive only had one repair done, and the rest of the maintenance I do myself. None of this work is particularly hard, and here's plenty of information here and on other sites to help you do just about anything.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I think that is just their excuse.
I have a local family business do mine and they are quick.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
You need a different shop. Best is yourself. Amazon delivers RV parts too. ๐Ÿ™‚
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of issues are you having? I do my own maintenance so I've never been to a shop, but rarely (maybe two or three repairs in over 7 years of ownership) have I needed to do anything other than routine maintenance. Even then, the repairs have been simple fixes.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would never leave my rv just sit on there lot, they can check it out ,then I,ll take it home till parts come in, and if you want it fixed fast? call a mobile tech, they will get the parts have it repaired before the engine gets cold. parts can be over nighted for a few bucks .

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
After 6 yrs. of ownership (2 different MH's) never been to a dealership for repairs. Can't fathom why you have this problem. :h

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of repairs are needed after each trip?

I try extremely hard to never have to take my rig into the dealer. Do most repairs myself.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad