cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back up camera

Mr__Coach
Explorer
Explorer
It appears that my back up camera in my 2000 dutchstar is bad. The monitor appears to be working but no picture. I discovered that there is 12v power going to the camera but no signal going back to the monitor.. I have the camera in at a test shop to try an see if the camera is working and possibly try fixing it, if not I don't know what to do. You can't get a replacement camera so I'll have to go with an entire different system and possibly hard wire the unit in through the existing wire. Anyone have problems with their cameras not working, what did you do as far as replacement?? Thanks
To go or not to go, that is the question, "I think, Maybe"
13 REPLIES 13

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear that the cable is bad. If you're going to install a new system, I've had good results with one like this from this vendor:

backup camera system

I installed one like this in 2010 and it still works great. Running the cable down the back cap, along the frame rails (protect from heat and rubbing) and back up into the dash area is not too difficult, but does require a lot of sliding around under the coach.

I have a write-up that describes the installation with pictures that I can send to you if it would help. Send me a pm with your email address if you want the write-up.

The system displayed by dale.traveling above looks good also.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
I've fixed our camera twice--loose connection in back of monitor. Iguess
some of our nations despicable highways are too rough for back up cameras

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
revump wrote:
Mine goes off some times ... it is a problem

When they service our MH at the factory I had them check because our flickered sometimes and went off. The plug in leads on the caamera get some weather, apparently. Cleaned them and put some diaelectric compound on them, reinstalled and good to go. Need to convert to color though.

Mr__Coach
Explorer
Explorer
Had my monitor and camera checked out, both checked out fine.. So, that leads me to believe that somewhere between the monitor and camera I have a bad cable.. That really sucks, I just as well have a bad monitor and bad camera, so now I'm screwed, Might as well figure a whole new system.. No way I can track or find where that cable leads.. Bummer!!!:M

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
WESIII wrote:
Call Tim RV Cams, Inc ------ 877-378-2267 When I thought the camera in our American Dream was bad Tim got us on the road. Great product,
Greater service. As it turned out it was the monitor not the camera, even though the light on the monitor was on. Call him, you will not be sorry! Bill

X2

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
our backup camera went out and it was the wires under the dash came loose.

also on our coach, if you have the RV in the shop and they disconnect the batteries, sometimes you have to go into setup and re-program the Pioneer receiver to accept the camera. pain the in the you-know-what!
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

cbr46
Explorer
Explorer
My coach came with no backup camera. That had to change . . . .

When researching (inexpensive) cameras I saw a lot from reviews of items that were failing - seems the LEDs for illumination would get hot and cause failure. OK for backing up but not ok for full time running.

I went with a Chinese non-illuminated color camera (Amazon) that imprinted "guide bars" into the video to give reference points for real world objects and a separate 15W LED floodlight from Northern Tool. Floodlight is controlled separately. So far haven't needed it.

Monitor was another Chinese something - 7" color.

The combo does the job but it's not as crisp as HD . . . . maybe because I used the handy 50 ohm cable and not a 75 ohm matched cable.

Good luck,
- c bob

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
The system in my coach was DOA on purchase. Was a B/W camera and CRT monitor in the dash. Replaced it with a color camera and LCD monitor for THIS SELLER. Less than $100. They based in Hong Kong and I pay via Pay Pal. The system came with a new cable between the camera and monitor that I used. The old wire is somehow held in place inside the rear cap so I just cut as much as I could get to. To get the new cable in I used a snake between the upper corner running light to pull up to the top of the cap then again from where the camera is mounted to the light.

The new monitor was a bit smaller than the original so I used thin ply as a mounting adapter. Finish dash -
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Mr__Coach
Explorer
Explorer
WESIII wrote:
Call Tim RV Cams, Inc ------ 877-378-2267 When I thought the camera in our American Dream was bad Tim got us on the road. Great product,
Greater service. As it turned out it was the monitor not the camera, even though the light on the monitor was on. Call him, you will not be sorry! Bill

I will call him, thanks..

revump
Explorer
Explorer
Mine goes off some times ... it is a problem
Bob

WESIII
Explorer
Explorer

diveman52
Explorer
Explorer
Mine quite and I found that Costco online had a good replacement for only $200.00. it works quite well but you will have to run new cable which is included.
40+ Years in Electrical construction.
Retired IBEW Local 595
Every Days Saturday
2008 Newmar Dutch Star 4035

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
If not parts, then replace the camera. As you have stated , then replace the system