cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

burnt rubber smell??

rolnovru
Explorer
Explorer
While driving home yesterday in my 1999 34' rexhall class a motorhome, I noticed on a few occasions a burnt rubber smell. I looked over the tires and engine and do not see anything standing out. Any ideas?? I was not stopping or on the brakes at all. I was actually had the cruise control on at 60. I looked at the belt and it looked fine nor did I here it squeal at all. The smell would come on and then slowly dissipate out. It happened a couple of times. I looked around to see if there were any tractor trailers around, as they seem to always smell of burnt rubber. It was just me on the road. Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Battery cables on coach batteries sometimes work loose, they can and will burn.

Raist11
Explorer
Explorer
First thing, when you smell it.. safely pull off the road and try to determine where the smell is coming from. We can all throw out a lot of opinions on what it is, but nobody really knows. The chances that you're smelling your tires or calipers while driving down the road, is pretty slim. Not impossible but slim.

Safely get off the road and use your nose to find the area that it's coming from. Then you can start figuring out possible causes.

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
GTN_and_Catz wrote:
Sounds very similar to what happened to our Rexhall.
"Smell something?" I said ... Got out, looked around, everything looked good. Got going again and, after a few more miles, it happened again. Did this a few more times and then (finally) it became obvious. An inner rear tire had lost pressure and eventually it spun on the rim enough that it rubbed against the Ride-Rite air bag helper springs and wore them down - hence the burning rubber smell.

Lesson learned of course was that a TPMS (now installed) would have prevented the damage.

I completely agree regarding the TPMS only in my case it alerted me to overheated brakes while driving in the mountains and another time to sticking brake calipers in the flatlands. Thankfully, my tire pressures have been fine! (knock on wood)

Steve

GTN_and_Catz
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds very similar to what happened to our Rexhall.
"Smell something?" I said ... Got out, looked around, everything looked good. Got going again and, after a few more miles, it happened again. Did this a few more times and then (finally) it became obvious. An inner rear tire had lost pressure and eventually it spun on the rim enough that it rubbed against the Ride-Rite air bag helper springs and wore them down - hence the burning rubber smell.

Lesson learned of course was that a TPMS (now installed) would have prevented the damage.
Gene
2003 36' Rexhall RexAir
2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Demco Kar Kaddy SS
Blue Ox Aventa II
2 Ragdolls
1 Tabby

Gadgetman
Explorer
Explorer
Is your motorhome a Ford F53?

Mine starts smelling like that every 3 years or so,because this era of Fords front and rear brake calipers need to have the slides on the calipers lubricated with high temp grease every year I think.

The smell on mine comes from the brake caliper piston boots starting to melt from the heat from caliper not sliding freely. (because I won't pull the wheels off once a year myself)

It's not easy jacking up the motorhome and removing wheels and my braided stainless brake lines.

I find it easier to replace the brake calipers very 3 years or so. I don't recommend others do it this way though. ๐Ÿ˜‰
1996 31'Fleetwood Flair 30H, F53 Chassis
2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins 4X4
20' Carson Racer,CR500,CRF230,CRF230,08 Polaris Ranger
Orange County,Ca.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
It could also be something as simple as a piece of road debris being picked up and wedged in a place near a hot exhaust pipe. Things like this do not always need to be a big problem but they still require a thorough inspection to find out what is causing the smell.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
The two times we smelled hot rubber inside the coach....both ended in blown tires. The last time, being gun shy from the first time, we smelled hot rubber and pulled off the road. I checked all tires/rims and nothing felt extraordinarily hot, or even warm. About 10 more miles up the road, the tread on a brand new tire separated and completely came off the tire......not a good thing...... Get a tire professional to check all your tires closely for indications of failure, and replace it/them if they find anything.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

jeepfreak
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same issue on my 95 f53 chassis. Was the a/c compressor clutch. Even though a/c was not on. Finally seized up and burned the belt till it shredded. Should check that as it will leave you on the side of the highway. Just be carefull if you touch or try and turn the pulley with your hand as it gets extremely hot. I had burns on all 5 fingers of my left hand!
2007 Allegro 34wa Workhorse 8.1, Allison 6-speed. Bow Tie powered 79 CJ-7 Toad or 2014 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Toad

bluebarry1964b
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
could be a brake caliper dragging a bit, next time you smell it stop touch each rim see if ones really hot.

X2

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at your house batteries.

charlie_good_ti
Explorer
Explorer
First advise all to discuss an have a plan for evacuating rv if you smell electrical or other burning smell.Seconds count as we witnessed on ours couple weeks agp!
As for smell you experience do your best to find it.We have purchased another rv same age as yours an i will pull all fuses on this one individually an check for corosion an will look other potential places for rubbing or corossion at connections.I have a suspession our fire started in a 12volt fuse box.Ours did have the distinc smell of electrical wire.

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect the brake lines.
The brake line will swell on the inside and the fluid can not flow back to the master cylinder causing the brakes to drag. Once cool they are OK until they heat back up from using the brake.

When the brakes drag they smell as they heat up if not repaired will get worse to the point of slowing down more rapid than normal when you take your foot off the gas.

Lines are not expensive but the damage this can cause will be an expensive repair if not caught early.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
does that unit use the driveshaft as the parking brake it could be that if so

Now, that one would be easy to figure out, as you would now, not have a parking brake that holds the coach any longer.
Question is...
Is it a Chevy chassis and does it in fact, have auto park with just being 34ft. and most weigh over 15K lbs to be so equipped.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
does that unit use the driveshaft as the parking brake it could be that if so