cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caught the Mouse

augustpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Well, surprise this morning. I found some mouse droppings yesterday, set trap on floor under the steering wheel, caught the little guy. Has anyone had mice in motor home . Don't. Know how he got in or if there are more. I reset two more traps just in case.
2017 Rockwood 2906WS Ultra Light
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7. 4x4
Firestone Air Lift 1000, Equalizer Hitch
13 REPLIES 13

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I use string lights on the ground around the coach, electronic noise devices inside the coach and, I've pulled out every bottom drawer in the coach and filled all cubby holes and would be run ways with coarse steel wool.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Roadglider09 wrote:
We had 3 mice last winter. FYI - DO NOT USE POISON! The little boogers will eat it, then crawl behind your dashboard and die. The only way to find them at that point is by SMELL.
We used regular mouse traps baited with peanut butter and got all 3 in a day. Then we put peppermint oil on cotton balls and put 5 or 6 of them in the coach and the meeces havent been back.

That peppermint oil really does work!

I got rid of gophers in my yard (that showed up the day I put the For Sale sign up!) They were putting holes and mounds all over. I tried every dangerous chemical and they would just come up in an different spot. I put peppermint soaked cotton balls down all the holes and they were gone!!!

I faithfully keep a couple peppermint balls in my MH. Smells nice and keeps the critters out.

BTW: I was told by a trucker they dab peppermint oil around their neck area to keep them alert while driving. I tried it when I started getting tired one day and that works too. I just stuff the cotton ball in the vents!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Roadglider09
Explorer
Explorer
We had 3 mice last winter. FYI - DO NOT USE POISON! The little boogers will eat it, then crawl behind your dashboard and die. The only way to find them at that point is by SMELL.
We used regular mouse traps baited with peanut butter and got all 3 in a day. Then we put peppermint oil on cotton balls and put 5 or 6 of them in the coach and the meeces havent been back.
Michael & Donna
Little Ones Becky & Karen
Deland, FL
2012 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Couple of Harleys (when not pulling the Jeep!)

barlow46
Explorer
Explorer
Pet snake.....
2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' ISL 400; Tag Axle; Residential Refrig (sold)
2004 F450, 6.0 auto, 4:30 pumpkin; BrakeSmart; 50 gal aux.tank, 2008 Mobile Suites RE3.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
We haven't had any meeces in the RV yet but...the Factory spent some time and foam and other things blocking holes.
It is a lot less dusty and hopefully no meeces.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
I thought this was a posting about Disneyland....:R....Dennis
There you go!

To the OP:
Get a mechanic crawler and go out at night and turn on the lights "inside" the MH and slide under your MH and enjoy the light show from below! :B

Doesn't matter if you paid $50,000 or $400,000 for it you will see all the open spaces from where they run water, electrical lines, etc. Haven't seen one yet that they sealed every single opening during manufacturing.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I thought this was a posting about Disneyland....:R....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Rascally_Road_W
Explorer
Explorer
Poor little guy... and all he wanted to do was climb under the covers with you and snuggle.

Rich_D_
Explorer
Explorer
augustpilot wrote:
Well, surprise this morning. I found some mouse droppings yesterday, set trap on floor under the steering wheel, caught the little guy. Has anyone had mice in motor home . Don't. Know how he got in or if there are more. I reset two more traps just in case.

Keep the traps set. No such thing as only one mouse. I spray my garage with "Critter Out" and keep peppermint scented packs inside the coach. Also keep several self sealing traps set for peace of mind. We never catch a mouse or see signs of them. The scented pouches are available at a feed store and the "Critter Out" is bought online. This is a non solicited endorsement of the products named because they work for me. I have no affiliation with the companies or the sellers.
Rich D. Wanderlodge M450 LXi

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
We had one. Discovered the back wall in the cabinet next to the bed (the table part) was not fastened and it got in thru there. When I moved that wall out I could see the motor and the ground. It traveled from there up to the cables for the back up camera. Two cats in the rig, neither thought to CATCH the mouse....LOL Saw it in the driver's seat area one night. Yeah, I freaked.
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
augustpilot wrote:
Don't. Know how he got in or if there are more.
Your motorhome resembles Swiss Cheese. If you want a reality check, drive it north in the dead of winter and feel where all the cold drafts are coming in. We did this with my parents motorhome, which allowed us to seal all the holes we could find with spray foam. This is normal for modern motorhomes.
IRV2

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We had one running around in the van while camping in Canyonlands NP. But I think when he saw how small it was inside, he got claustrophobic and left.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Shutting off your heat/ac in the coach before you shut the engine off so all the vents close helps to keep them out.