cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing your own oil - is it worth it?

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Since I have owned a MH I have a local dealership do the oil changes. On the Ford v-10 I have them do full synthetic and I get it done @7500 miles. The price is reasonable I think but I do have to drive it in, drive it home etc which can be a bit of a hassle. I have always done the gen set myself since it only takes 1.5 qts. I was wondering, by the time I buy the oil, filter, crawl under and over the engine to change it then figure out some way to dispose of the old oil, is it worth it? I think by the time I buy materials and my own labor I am not certain it’s even worth trying to save what would be about $20-30.00. I am not ill equipped but I am not a shop with a lift either. I don’t do my own truck either. Already figured out that the price I get to get that done with a free rotation in 15 minutes is way more cost effective to have them do it. I do however do my own tractor, simply because the hassle of dragging it somewhere would cost more. Anyway, what’s your thought on doing your own MH?
2013 ACE 29.2
75 REPLIES 75

Flanz
Explorer
Explorer
RDG wrote:
$36.00 at my Ford dealer. Not worth my time to do it myself.

Does it also include greasing the 12 zerks on the rig? I have 12 on my 2000 F53 chassis.

-paul

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I spent all of my working life, in the military and as a civilian, with a wrench in my hand, working on everything from industrial bicycles to a locomotive, helicopters, and fixed wing aircraft (mostly with huge round engines). I got thouroughly sick of being up to my elbows in oil and grease.
Now that I am retired and over 70, I don't even want to change the oil in my lawn tractors(but I do), much less the motorhome or any other vehicle.
Besides, by the time I get to the oil change place the engine is fully warmed up as it should be before changing the oil.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

kokois1
Explorer
Explorer
Do my own...always have...always will!
Steve and LuAnne
2010 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 33U
Ford V10 Power Platform
Golden Retriever: KoKo

ljr869
Explorer
Explorer
The first time was a PITA since the V-10 oil drain is right over the front axle. A Fumoto valve and some tubing solves that problem. I change it myself.
Jim
2009 Fleetwood Bounder 35H
Ford V-10 w/ Banks

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Speedco! Drive in, no appointment, takes about an hour and we're on the road again. Well worth the $200 for our Class A diesel pusher.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Walking away from this thread as I think you guys have offered very thorough insight. Thanks again. Seems like it's pretty split which is what I would expect. I totally respect you guys that can and do change it yourself and I fully understand those that choose not to. I think based on this feedback and what I know about my personal situation, I fall into the latter category. It was a good sounding board to where I thought I was. Thanks y'all. Good stuff again.
2013 ACE 29.2

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I've always changed my own oil. I buy Mobil 1 at Walmart really cheap. Oil disposal at Advance Auto for free. I've never had an oil related problem in the 35 years I've been doing it. At the same time, I rotate tires, check brakes, front end components, etc. Different friends and family members have had problems with dealers and garages when changing oil, including stripped oil plugs and leaking filters and recommending work that isn't needed. Believe me, they don't put the brightest bulbs on the job of changing oil, and they will try to get every dime from you they can! It's not hard, even my 79 year old father changes his own oil.That being said, if you're not comfortable doing the job, have it done.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I am nearly 80 years old and I have never paid to have the oil changed etc in any of my MHs, P/Ups. tractors,cars, you name it. I can afford it but so far I prefer doing it myself but I have to admit it is getting harder to do.
samsontdog:o:W

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
I do all my own oil changes.

I know where ALL the grease fitting are.

I don't over fill the engine oil and I use OEM filters primed thru the inlet side.

Safety checks are made during servicing in my own garage.

Used oil is transported to be recycled.

I simply don't trust any facility to do the job properly.

Now that I'm 73, complete annual servicing takes me about 3 hours.
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
By the time I get it out from along side the house, around the big tree, to the service place, pay them $60 and back in place at home, it's 2 hours or better. I can do it my self with better oil and filter in less than an hour. And, it's on my schedule.

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
Always did my gas motorhome myself and my first DP for the first 5 of the 8 years I owned it. Due to age, time, etc. I started using the Freightliner Service Center in Gaffney, SC or Speedco, whichever was convenient when we were on the road.

With my current rig, I am using my local Cummins Coach Care shop. Nice shop, clean, good folks and they have the facilities to do it. Also, they check other stuff. In fact, while lubing the chassis, the mechanic noted some chaffed wires under the coach. He taped them well and put some sort of heavy wrap on them he said they used on OTR trucks.

I still go the genset myself.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
I change the oil on all of my vehicles especially after hearing a couple of stories where they took their vehicles to dealerships and oil change places where one where they didn't change the oil or the filter and another where they changed the oil but not the filter. A lot of those people who work in the oil change pits are not top shelf people. But I also have a shop with a pit and a place to dispose everything.;)

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since I don't have a big enough pan to catch 36 qts of hot oil gushing out the drain hole much less move it around, dump it in a larger can and transport it to a facility....I'll pay the 295.00 once a year or so at a good service center. If I'm really fussy, I'll take my own oil which they are happy to use.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
When I had the gas motor home I would change it one time and the next time I would have it done. This way I was sure that the chassis was lubed which is important that it be done at least once per year. I did not care to do the lube myself.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
For all the work I've done on my coach, I still take it down to the local quick lube joint. The cost is cheap and its convenient. I count the grease fittings and watch them do it. To get the ones on the axle, the coach has to be rolled, otherwise they can not be reached. Its a 2 person job, as one person has to be under the coach, so they can tell when to stop, so the fitting can be reached. I've been going there for over 10 years, they know me pretty well. Its has the cool factor, so they tend to be more careful than their average car.
IRV2