cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do all Class A gas MHs have generators in the back?

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a video about gas vs diesel and they said that gas MHs had generators in the back of the unit and that diesel had it up front. So, I assumed that all gas MHs had them in the back.

Would love to hear as to whether or not this is true, and if not, then would love to know about gas models that do not have the generator in the back, since the diesels are more expensive.
30 REPLIES 30

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
Many gas A's have genny midship

MrWizard
i have a diesel and the Onan is drivers side REAR

our previous Gas coach was Drivers side under the sofa

before that passenger side rear

they can be Anywhere
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

gswcgi
Explorer
Explorer
No, mine is in front on my Safari.
'03 Safari, DP, 36" Nissan 4X4 toad

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is in the rear, but there are rear engine gas units so the genset would have to go elsewhere.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I do not have a slide out, and my generator is just behind the drivers seat, in the first compartment behind the front left tire. I have a 1997 Bounder 30E.

I have seen several motorhomes with slide outs and the generator is under the drivers side slide out. The exhaust normally only goes out to the edge of the motorhome, and is fixed, so when the slide is out, then the exhaust gas can stick around under the slide out. With possible air leaks, I would not want the exhaust under the slide out.

I also do not want the generator under my bed! I can understand your concerns, especially if your plan might include running the generator all night long in the hot desert!

I have also seen RV's with the generator in the back, behind the rear axle on the drivers side. In that case, the exhaust went out the back (it was about 8' long) so that it stays away from the RV. This can be important in some camping situations, like the Balloon Fiesta, where they park the RV's only 8' apart from each other.

Good luck!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

s_N_s
Explorer
Explorer
The 94 Bounder we had which was gas had the generator in a compartment right below the driver seat. So no they're not all in the back. :B
Steve & Sally
Hudson (Our Little Pom)
HiTee, Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"

mfox20
Explorer
Explorer
I am on my second Class A gas unit, one was behind the driver seat and in my current Holiday Rambler, its located in front of the rear driver side tires under the kitchen area.

I do sleep with mine on sometimes and I like the fact its not under the bed.
Michael

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor Gasser
2013 Honda CR-V Toad

VinCee
Explorer
Explorer
I like it when the genny's are as far back as possible. This way there is less noise intrusion into the RV when it is running. My genset is in the second last compartment roadside and we barely know it's on when running.

robertbenita
Explorer
Explorer
Fleetwood Tioga models may have it mounted mid-ship from my recollection. I don't think there is any absolute on this question!

In my camper, at the back under the bed.

stugpanzer
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is behind the driver side rear axle.
2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C
Mods: EEZRV Products TPMS, Cobra 29LX 50th Anniversary CB radio with Firestik NGP Antenna, Self contained sewer hose

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
My Bounder has it on driver side REAR.
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
There are some Diesels that have the generator in a side compartment. IE Country Coach and Blue Bird are examples of side generators.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
No, it is not true.
Just like most general statements, there is always an exception.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
no, that is not an accurate assumption. Mine right behind the front wheel. Many are mid ship. They can be anywhere they cram them in. The reason DP's have the gen up front is mainly due to the space of the engine not being there and it allows perfect access. In gassers they put them wherever there is a leftover spot.
2013 ACE 29.2

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
Our two previous gas MHs had the generator on the side behind driver seat. Fleetwood and Winnabago
2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015