Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of generator rope.

Tinindian12
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks.

End of my rope. Have tied knot. Just purchased after much research one of the 3500k-4000k champion ginnys. My roof top is a 59517 13.5k Dometic. I cant for the life of me get this thing to power my AC. I have 2 neighbors that run these ginnys perfectly on their rigs. One has a coleman and one a Dometic.

Took my 1st ginny back to Camping World. The manager said, after testing, that the output was bad. No money back , but traded out for new. Same story Champion ginny will not run the unit.

researched the Dometic website. watts and startup on my AC are well within the limits of the generator.

Any ideas out there ????. Got the idiot treatment from Champion they told me to plug the camper into the ginny...lol. Maybe it will run a blender for frozen concoctions.

Need to warn new purchasers.
20 REPLIES 20

MrWizard
fridge in fiver on automatic will shift to ac double (french) door fridge uses 500+ watts
converter, water heater
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Tinindian12
Explorer
Explorer
Good progress gentlemen. Will fully report in the am. Tired now.

RedG
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure your water heater is turned off. I had this problem once while on the road when I had my 5'ver. Fired up the Champion, turned on the air and the genny just stalled. Later I figured out I had not turned off the water heater before unplugging and hitting the road.
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024 DP 370 Cummins
Towing my 2012 Malibu w/Blue Ox towbar & Patriot brake system

Tinindian12
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all.

Thanks for the help, looks like the ginny is working as designed. Passed all the test with ease. Turning sights toward AC unit . Calling dometic tech today to discuss .

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
Does your AirCond run normally when plugged into normal 30amp shore power?

If so try turning off your converter and make sure your Hot Water Heater isn't on using electric then try it again with the generator

Tinindian12
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
The AC might need a hard start cap installed or replaced

Is that something i can do ?

Tinindian12
Explorer
Explorer
Tested ginny sockets with multimeter. All 3 equal a consistent 123.3 volts. It also handled a 12amp yard blower effortlessly.

Do you think the charging system is dragging it down when trying to start ac? When running on ginny should all the circuits be in the on position?

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
The AC might need a hard start cap installed or replaced
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
Tinindian12 wrote:
chili's trip wrote:
Will it run the microwave? Thanks.

Yes runs microwave fine. Thanks.

I would start being suspicious of your AirCond instead of the generator then.

Tinindian12
Explorer
Explorer
chili's trip wrote:

Yes runs microwave fine. Thanks.

Tinindian12
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. Great forum. Thanks for all the input. I will be doing some testing today and will keep yall posted.

Thanks folks.

Mmwtdh
Explorer
Explorer
I had same problem yesterday. Checked voltage from the generator and it was only 75 - 80. I just had to turn the speed of the generator motor up a little and voltage came right up.

chili_s_trip
Explorer II
Explorer II
2005 Fleetwood Bounder 32W 8.1.
2009 Honda Fit Sport

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
I've had one of those generators for years. It easily runs my 15k AirCond on the FW.

Got a large Circular Saw? Plug it into the generator and see if the generator will start it up with little hesitation. If so that startup surge while not quite as much as a 13.5K AirCond it is close enough to test the generator.