cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fridge usage in class B

richardg40
Explorer
Explorer
We own a 2003 Roadtrek and use it like a few weeks here and there and a weekend here and there from june to sept incl so 4 months .

My question is what do other people do ( advice ) switch the fridge on in June and run it the whole time 4 months . What is better to ensure that the fridge will last a long time and what works for U ??

Other option is to plug it in the day before a planned trip so that would mean cooling down the fridge maybe 12 times over 4 the summer >>

Thanks for your comments and happy travels ..
16 REPLIES 16

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
Arizona Kid is right about the concern being stated for gas build up going down the road. I have never figured that one out, personally. How can gas from a failed ignition build up in a vented, outside place with a sixty mph wind blowing by? I guess the comment is right on target: it depends on how the model if configured.

The best $12 you can spend on a refrig is to buy a little inside/outside wireless thermometer and keep the outside transmitter in the refrig and the inside unit velcrowed to your dash. You can monitor the refrig's temp going 24/7. Especially handy for me because my DW is a worrywart and is concerned with a failed refrig spoiling all our vittles. ๐Ÿ™‚
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
The older Dometic's with manual lighting no problem, but on the newer auto light models the manufacture, and up-fitters are recommending not to. It seems there can be a problem if the flame keeps blowing out, and gas building up during the auto relight process. Some Class B's never have a problem, and some the flame blows out all the time. I guess it depends on how they are designed.

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
telemark1qc wrote:
Hello everyone

Just a quick question: can you use the fridge on propane while driving.

Thanks

Yes. There is no problem doing so other than it is recommended you not do it while fueling and there may be some ferries, tunnels and bridges that will require you to shut off your propane. The manufacturers, both the converters and Dometic, would prefer you not to do so.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

telemark1qc
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone

Just a quick question: can you use the fridge on propane while driving.

Thanks

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
The nice thing about having the fridge on all the time is that if you run out of room (say there was a good deal for a Costco bulk item), the fridge is always good for overflow items. Of course, one can use the freezer part to store gel packs, so one has those ready at all times for coolers without having to go buy ice.

ROADTREKKER2000
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my Roadtrek 200, I installed a 30 amp box on the outside of the garage so that I could leave my refrigerator operating 365 days a year.

We switch to propane when traveling and back to electric when camped or leave on propane when no electricity is available.

We have done this for 14 years without any fridge problems.
Papa :C, Lois ๐Ÿ™‚ Griz ๐Ÿ˜›

2000 Roadtrek 200 Popular

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend switching it between electric and gas every so often. Two reasons: It keeps the bugs in the flue guessing, and if you find that one of the burners is out, you have time to get it fixed.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
A local rebuilder told me absorbtion fridges will last longer if they are left on. The temp swings of turning it off and on cause the tubing to stress and crack sooner.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Operating RV absorption refrigerators off level is what causes failures.
Damage from operating off level is accumulative....a little damage (clogging) each time until tube failure due to inadequate flow.

Turn it ON and let it run
OR
Turn it ON/OFF as needed (ON day before trip for cool down)

Just as long as it is level when running.....on electric or propane
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
We fire it up a couple of days before we leave on a trip. Put stuff in the second day and leave the next morning. That way, all the opening and shutting the door is done and everything can get to a good nominal temp.

We always plug in when we do this because we also want our batteries to have a good 48 hours to be absolutely charged. Then, we run on 12vdc going down the road and then on propane when we get where we are going (most of the time, because we boondock). I check the refrig on propane every few months year round just to make sure it is operating correctly.
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

gdoug83
Explorer
Explorer
We plug it in 24 hours before departure and load it just before we drive off. Turn it off again when we unload upon return. We do a lot of 3-4 day weekenders at the moment.
Doug
2010 RT RS Adventurous
Sprinter 3500

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
If I had the RT in the driveway, I'd fire it up a couple days before a trip, not just to pre-chill it, but in case there is an issue, you can possibly get it fixed before you have to head out with a dead fridge. There are many full-timers using these fridges 24/7/365.25, and because the only moving part is the liquid, it can't hurt to keep it going. My preference is to run it on propane, but one can go either way.

Of course, this is assuming the fridge is on a level stretch. RV absorption fridges will self destruct (and the damage is cumulative) if left on and out of plumb for any real length of time.

jjrai
Explorer
Explorer
We use our van about every weekend. I generally run the fridge on gas and turn it on when we get going. I put stuff in the freezer as that gets cold pretty fast. Then I move it down once the fridge cools off. If I'm bringing a lot of stuff, I cool it down the day before. I think it is better to use it than not - particularly the gas feature. You do not want things building up in the piping - such as spider webs.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
You can do it either way provided you store the RV in a spot that is level when not in use. I don't know of any real "downside" of either method since there are no moving parts in the fridge. I've had some RVs that the fridge ran all during the summer and others that I turn off and on only when needed. My CURRENT fridge I turn off when not in use and the reason is that it takes only about four hours to get completely cold. Some models can take as much as 24 hours and that would be a good argument for leaving them run (if you tend to be a bit spontaneous as I have been). Never wanted to delay a trip while waiting for the fridge to cool ๐Ÿ™‚
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population