cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gas or diesel?

blkcloud01
Explorer
Explorer
In the market for a motorhome, sold my pull behind camper.. looking to spend around 40k.. will probably use it 3-4 times a year.. just wondering.. about gas or diesel.. from what I have been seeing for sale, I can buy a 2000 diesel pusher or I can buy a newer gas say a 2005 for the same money.. your opinions please..thanks!
49 REPLIES 49

Vt_Rv
Explorer
Explorer
We went shopping yesterday throughout southern Vt and NH. Stopped at a few dealers and some consignment locations. We were able to look at several different makes and models. Most at the top end or 10-20K above where we want to be.

The one thing we found is that the older higher end models, Newmar, Bounder Fleetwood and Damon were much nicer then some of the newer models which were at a similar price point.

We also made the mistake of looking at a couple diesel's which, engine and drivetrain aside, were much nicer fit and finish. Leather furniture, solid surface counters, real hardwood cabinetry and there seemed to be more storage.

Still not sure we can step up and when paying 10-20k more for older models then the gas counterparts I'm not sure the return on investment is there. Not that investing in an RV is ever a money making proposition but I always like to at least look at which will hold it's value better.
2003 Damon Challenger 348
2011 Ford F350 Diesel
2005 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic
So many toys, so little time! Retirement? Tick Tock, Tick Tock

Just_Cruzzin
Explorer
Explorer
Dale.Traveling wrote:
For the usage level, "3-4 times a year", a newer gas coach might be best. A diesel platform brings some really nice features that if you were planning to use the coach more would be a major up check but going with something several years newer on a gas chassis might be a better fit at this time. Add a zero behind your numbers and I would vote diesel.

Also my 2006 V10 isn't any louder than my 1998 Honda Accord thanks to the prior owner insulating the engine cover. I can hear every dish, pot and pan very clearly banging around in the cabinets on what has become the standard road surface quality.

...now that is funny...:B

Explorer
Explorer
dubdub07 wrote:
timmac wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I have a pusher. My friend just bought a gasser with a V-10 Ford motor and I drove it home about 100mi for him----that thing sounded like a hurricane under my feet at 60--65mph. That alone would keep me away from a gasser. Get yourself a used high end pusher for that money--American Eagle, Foretravel, etc comes to mind. Stay away from the entry level pushers as they are just that.

Yep my F-53 sounded that way at 1st, but than I bought heat/sound proofing material and did the dog house and floor area under driver/passenger seats and now its so quiet I can here my radio at low volume and can now talk with wife without having to speak up..

Gassers just needs some improvements and than they will almost as good as a diesel but half the cost..

:C

Define "almost as good?"

The better way is to look at as a gasser being $20,000 to $50,000 better!!!

The one DP I drove had as much noise (wind noise) as my gasser with $150 of sound insulation added to the dog house. And wind noise is all I hear most of the time with my gasser. The other 5% of the time, the noise level is still OK.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I have a pusher. My friend just bought a gasser with a V-10 Ford motor and I drove it home about 100mi for him----that thing sounded like a hurricane under my feet at 60--65mph. That alone would keep me away from a gasser. Get yourself a used high end pusher for that money--American Eagle, Foretravel, etc comes to mind. Stay away from the entry level pushers as they are just that.

Yep my F-53 sounded that way at 1st, but than I bought heat/sound proofing material and did the dog house and floor area under driver/passenger seats and now its so quiet I can here my radio at low volume and can now talk with wife without having to speak up..

Gassers just needs some improvements and than they will almost as good as a diesel but half the cost..

Define "almost as good?"
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
'Haven't seen a thread asking about tag axles lately.... 😄
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

deminimis
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on so much. Didn't notice if comparing Class As only, or not. A diesel pusher will be quieter than a gas Class A, obviously. However, we have a V-10 in our F-550 based Super C and I can't hear it (that's with Banks exhaust too). A diesel in a van cutawy Class C is loud. A diesel in our rig would be louder. If you're set on a 40' rig, then I'd say diesel pusher, without a doubt. If looking at something smaller, then the V-10 may be a good choice (the added price for diesel at the pump may come close to zeroing out any mileage gains, insofar as your wallet is concerned). Apples to apples, I know the exact same rig to what I have, but with the plagued 6.4 diesel, only gets .5 to 1 mpg better than my V-10. The high-revving three valve V-10 has more than enough torque to get the job done, for us, even when pulling a heavy race trailer. The 3 valve V-10 is a very reliable engine. But again, if going with a 40' A, then diesel by all means (unless it's a Cat 😉 ).
'15 Ram Laramie 5500 w/ a giant Okanagan on board.

wirenutz
Explorer
Explorer
When we were looking for our tow rig, we knew diesel was the only way to go, and after looking at dozens of Freightliners and Internationals on the market, we found an FL-60 with a new cat 7.2 motor 3 hours from our house for 30K cash, it took 2 deployments to the sand box to pay for everything in cash
2007 All American Sport Toy Hauler 38 foot, 14,400 LBS dry weight
1999 Four Door Freightliner,new 6 Speed Auto, new Cat Motor, 12,600 LBS, rear air dump, lowers rear by 3", air activated rear locker, air ride seats, air ride cab, air ride suspension

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
wirenutz wrote:
I dont think I saw one DP that was in the 40,000 dollar range in all the posters signature's

PPLmotorhomes.com in Houston/New Braunfels have 13 motorhomes on consignment for under $50,000. They are out there.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
wirenutz wrote:
I dont think I saw one DP that was in the 40,000 dollar range in all the posters signature's

That's funny...true, most likely, but that also doesn't mean we haven't owned one. My first diesel was $33,000 cash, out the door. 40' Tourmaster, upgraded to the 40' Dynasty for a little over $40,000, then splurged on the Executive.....all of it was worth it....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
Here we go again, this subject has been beat to death on this site. In most instances the people who own the gas models know more about the diesels than the people than own them and vise versa. I recommend driving the coach's you are interested in and make up your own mind.The floor plan is the most important equation. When we bought our coach I couldn't find a gasser with the floor plan I liked, and at that time the used upscale diesels had poor floor plans that fit our budget. We ended up with full slide Fleetwood Discovery. Some turn their nose up at that coach but we are happy.

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
DP and don't look back.. I hear all the gas talk and how expensive it is to own a DP I don't find that to be true. You asked so I say DP.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
cochise49 wrote:
Went DP after decades of Class C gassers. After 9 years of outrageous repair bills and maintenance that I couldn't DIY. We saw a floorplan that blew our DP out of the water and half the price of a new DP with similar features like Heat Pumps, full body paint, great A/V system. Gas vs diesel fuel mpg/cost is usually a near push. Expect to pay 1/3 or less for oil changes etc. Cheaper parts/labor plus I can do most, if not all routine maint myself. It is noisier on hills but I don't really notice the suspension differences. We decided that we live in our rig much much more than we drive it. That being said....none of us need to justify our purchase decisions. We all enjoy our rigs. Happy travels to all.

I like the lay out of the 38Q. That's gotta be one of the biggest gassers on the market at just over 39 feet.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I own a gas coach. I can easily afford to buy a DP, but I don't drive enough miles to justify buying one. I'm a retired truckdriver and drove diesels all my life and I enjoy the engine torque (pulling power) and the air ride a diesel offers (both going down the highway & leveling). I'm currently not towing a vehicle so I get very good fuel milage with my coach and my maintenance is $65.00 plus tax, once a year. I have a very nice Captains Chair to sit in when driving and new shocks and tires so my ride is comfortable. Noise, I'm hard of hearing and I don't put my hearing aids in while driving and I get one quiet ride (only nice thing about being hearing impaired). Good Luck

wirenutz
Explorer
Explorer
2007 All American Sport Toy Hauler 38 foot, 14,400 LBS dry weight
1999 Four Door Freightliner,new 6 Speed Auto, new Cat Motor, 12,600 LBS, rear air dump, lowers rear by 3", air activated rear locker, air ride seats, air ride cab, air ride suspension