cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gun laws in New York

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip to Lake George next month. Ive been doing some research on New York gun laws and have determined that I can not carry my pistol in my motor home. It looks like when Im moving Im OK, but when parked Im in violation. Am I right? It also looks like Im ok with a shotgun. Any comments?
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar
51 REPLIES 51

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Washington State and I have a concealed weapons permit. Legally it is unlawful for me to carry my handgun thru Oregon and California so when I'm traveling to AZ. I go thru Idaho, Utah and Nev. That way I'm legal and don't get to spend any money in Ore. or California when traveling.

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
An unloaded gun is worthless, except to bonk someone over the head with. If you're going to carry an unloaded gun, you would be better off carrying a baseball bat instead. Bats are a far better tool for bonking someone over the head with. Keep your gun loaded and ready.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most people with CCW permits carry a firearm because cops are too heavy to carry.

time_to_go_now
Explorer
Explorer
lakebum wrote:
I always heard a firearm was like a parachute, you may not ever need it but once and if you don't have it then you will not need it again.

I love reading these posts. Some people crack me up.

I love the above statement! My thoughts exactly.

Happy days to all.
Jim and Deanna

2008 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA FRED
2007 Carson Trailer 22' Titan TH
Trailer Toad
Me, Wife, Boy/22, Boy/19, Girl/17
1985 Toyota 4Runner
TWO quads, THREE kids, TWO motorcycles, ONE wife, TWO dogs, ONE cat, TWO Polaris RZR's

lakebum
Explorer
Explorer
I would not worry about the details, the reason you carry your firearm is why you should have it. I keep one loaded and chambered at all times in all vehicles and most of the time on my person.

The bad guy that storms your motor coach or threatens you or your family is also breaking the law.

It is ashame that we need to have to protect ourselves, but I had rather have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. We all carry insurance, don't want to use it, but glad we have it when we needed it.

I always heard a firearm was like a parachute, you may not ever need it but once and if you don't have it then you will not need it again.
Ken & Janice
South Hill, Virginia

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nicholsfamily05 wrote:
Talk about stoking the flames of paranoia ^ ^ wow

Again your passing through and your not not acting a fool then no worries.

I can tell you the police aren't out to just arrest everyone.
They are there to protect and serve....

If by some chance there is an encounter, you your most useful skill you have

TALK. Use the verbal skills

Officers like to talk, officers like to know what's going on.

But over all they just want to go home without an incident.
And if an incident arises they like to handle it as civically as possible.

Just relax and do as you always have.

And I can tell you if you encounter one and your from out of town and don't know every law on the books for their city/ town/county they will be glad to help and help you get out of their town/ city/ county and state as fast as they can.

And it's comments like this that always get these threads closed. I was simply telling people the truth about the law. Since I worked as a cop for almost 30 years I know the laws pretty well. Back before HR 218 there were cases of cops who traveled to other states and illegally carried their firearms and got into a lot of trouble. I seem to remember one officer in New York City many years ago who had his gun with him (I think he was from Florida) and he intervened in a robbery. He got prosecuted and was facing a year in jail based on New York's mandatory minimum sentencing laws. I don't recall whatever happened to him or if he was convicted or not.

In California back during my patrol days, illegally carrying a loaded gun was a misdemeanor. And as other said the only gun arrests I ever made were generally bad guys who got my attention by being involved in criminal activity of some type. But there were times when I came across otherwise law abiding citizens who were illegally carrying guns. All of those cases were at traffic accidents where they were injured and the gun was either found by the paramedics, or I found it in the car. Luckily it was a minor crime back then so I never arrested anybody under those circumstances. But it can be a felony now depending on the circumstances and cops lose some of the discretion to give a warning when it comes to felonies. So, no I wasn't stoking paranoia, just telling people the laws.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
Wow, I guess with all the traveling I do, I should be dead because I never carry. I don't even own. I just rent when I go to the range to shoot.

As for bringing it to Lake George, just keep it locked in a lock box in your trailer. Out of sight, out of mind. Don't ask, don't tell.

Was a cop for 30 years carried a gun every single day at work and never used it on anything other than a Pitbull. By your logic I should have just left the gun home all those years. If you were to take a survey of people who have had CCW permits for over 10 years, I bet you would have to go through 1000 people (maybe more) before you would find one that has ever had to use the gun. People who chose to carry guns for self defense aren't using them weekly. The vast majority never use them at all. But when that one in a thousand encounter happens, and you don't have a way to protect yourself, well you only have to get killed once to ruin your whole day.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I guess with all the traveling I do, I should be dead because I never carry. I don't even own. I just rent when I go to the range to shoot.

As for bringing it to Lake George, just keep it locked in a lock box in your trailer. Out of sight, out of mind. Don't ask, don't tell.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

tenn_vol_
Explorer
Explorer
In 2012 we went to MC rally in NH, rode the ferry from Conn. into The
Hamptons. Rode across Long Island, and my friend said I have a Coney
Island hot dog on my bucket list. Got our Coney Island dog. Talked to
a NY police officer and ask him the quickest easy way going south on
a MC. He gave us pretty simple route back to the road south.

AND THE LAST THING HE SAID "DONT STOP AT THE RED LIGHTS,
SLOW DOWN AND IF THE ROAD IS CLEAR PRECEDE WITH CAUTION".

With his name and badge # we rolled south.
Most defintely NOT the America I grew up in..........tenn

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
Why would you carry an unloaded weapon.

How useful is that. Not going to protect you very well.
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:

I didn't say LOADED did I?
bumpy

And you didn't say UNLOADED either did you? :B

I "assumed" that common sense would dictate unloaded, guess I was wrong.
I also didn't say not to carry that neat little 12 gauge that has a revolving cylinder as it is illegal in some states.
bumpy

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bumpyroad wrote:

bumpy

And you didn't say UNLOADED either did you? :B

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
doesn't it make more sense to carry a 12 gauge in a RV and avoid lots of issues?
bumpy

Carrying a LOADED shotgun is not legal in every state and pistol grip shotguns are illegal in some states.
There are issues that change in every state and issues that change within a state depending if you are hooked up to shore power as opposed to being on the road.

bumpy

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
The easiest solution to the problem is to just leave your weapon at home. What is wrong with that?

So if traveling to and through several other states where his firearm is legal he should be unprotected? unable to attend a competition? What if he is essentially a FTer? His home is his RV, then what? You can't just rent a storage room and stow your guns. (Not always legal and often forbidden by the contract and insurance) Let's face it, Gun laws only affect the lawful, if you area gangbanger, dope peddler you don't care.
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)