cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you keep mice out of MH

Bob1947
Explorer
Explorer
I have outside storage for my class A. I hve had evidence of mice in the MH nd with traps I have caught several.
My RV center advertises a sprpay treatment which they claim will keep mice oput. Is this any good? Any ideas on this problem. So far no problems with wiring.
27 REPLIES 27

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
Sully2 wrote:
Jagtech wrote:
There seems to be a misunderstanding about Cab Fresh. My carton says nothing about repelling mice, just that it neutralizes / eliminates mouse-related odors. The critters built a nest right next to a packet of it in my rig.
Irish Spring soap is a favorite of mice around here, they ate 1-1/2 bars of it before we discovered them. Found chunks of it in their nests.
Dryer sheets really do work for removing bugs, but mice use them for nesting material.
If you have no mice in your RV, then quite simply, there is no way for them to get in.
Only thing I found to work is a snap trap under each wheel, checked daily. They get into the rig by climbing up the wheel initially, so I get them before they get that far. So far 100% success with this method.

Read the box a little closer..??:S

Earth Kind Fresh Cab Botanical Rodent Repellent

First and only EPA registered for indoor use natural rodent repellent that uses scent to keep rodents out. No poisons means it is safe around humans, pets and food prep. Proven effective through EPA approved lab testing. Repels rodents for at least 30 days.

I guess the product is different in Canada... only indicates that it contains "Scent Pouches" to eliminate odors.

1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
moon.lake wrote:
I know lots of people recommend cabfresh, we bought it, and found fresh
mouse poo all around it! I placed bounce fabric softener sheets all over
in every drawer, cupboard, the dash, glovebox, etc. So far so good, I'll
let you know in the spring if it kept working! 🙂

You either didnt use it enough ( spaced too far apart) OR didnt replenish it after the specified time to keep it fresh.
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
Jagtech wrote:
There seems to be a misunderstanding about Cab Fresh. My carton says nothing about repelling mice, just that it neutralizes / eliminates mouse-related odors. The critters built a nest right next to a packet of it in my rig.
Irish Spring soap is a favorite of mice around here, they ate 1-1/2 bars of it before we discovered them. Found chunks of it in their nests.
Dryer sheets really do work for removing bugs, but mice use them for nesting material.
If you have no mice in your RV, then quite simply, there is no way for them to get in.
Only thing I found to work is a snap trap under each wheel, checked daily. They get into the rig by climbing up the wheel initially, so I get them before they get that far. So far 100% success with this method.

Read the box a little closer..??:S

Earth Kind Fresh Cab Botanical Rodent Repellent

First and only EPA registered for indoor use natural rodent repellent that uses scent to keep rodents out. No poisons means it is safe around humans, pets and food prep. Proven effective through EPA approved lab testing. Repels rodents for at least 30 days.
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

More_To_See
Explorer
Explorer
sailor_lou wrote:
We tried dryer sheets, peppermint oil, mothballs, electronic repellants and nothing was successful in keeping the critters out. I finally built a barrier using aluminum flashing similar to what "More To See" described above, except instead of surrounding the tires and jacks, I surround the entire MOHO. I have a removable gate to get the RV in/out and have been rodent free for about 7 years now.

Also, as noted above keeping the mice out of the inside of the rig is only half the job. Before the barrier I had to remove and repair my generator twice on my previous rig due to mouse damage.

X2. This is the way I would do it the next time for sure.

After dropping the gas tank a few times and doing generator rewiring I want a full proof way of keeping those critters out of the rig.
95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

Hjudge49
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 5 gallon bucket trap beside the motorhome, and one in each of my barns,baited with peanut butter. It attracts and catches the mice. For rats, I put an empty 55 gallon drum beside and touching a hay bale in my barn, with some corn in the bottom. The rats climb the hay, drop into the barrel to get the corn, and can't get out.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
As mentioned, an internet search will find places where you can order fox and bobcat urine online. A few drops of this sprayed around the tires of your RV will keep most rodents away. If you have outside storage, that is subject to a lot of rain, you may have to refresh the urine more often.
This will do nothing to keep insects from your coach but if rodents are your main problem, urine works and it is all done outside.

bucket1
Explorer
Explorer
I will agree Cab fresh didnt work for me, caught one right next to the package with a trap. I put steel wool in the holes next to the plumbing. two weeks later I caught another one. So i removed the steel wool and foamed the holes. I went to the other side of the of the motor home and found the drain for washer and dryer and foamed every hole on that side.This is what I did with my 5th wheel and never had any problems. I do have glue and steel traps in all the bins just in case, and by the jacks. I do the same as others and check them once a week.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
I've tried the mothballs...the peppermint...and other anti-mouse systems mentioned in this forum...but the only thing that WORKS (for me, anyway) is the cheapo wood/spring/snap trap.
I have 2 next to the generator, one in the (outside)plumbing compartment, one in the outside fridge compartment and 4 inside, various places.
Usually, I get 3-5 by now...and keep the peanut butter flowing. However...as of this moment, this year, I have none. The traps are there...just waiting......

The generator area seems to be the favorite...where most are caught. The outside plumbing is next. Inside...only got two. In 10 years. The outside fridge...never. But y'never know. All the traps get checked every 2 weeks, when I go to the motorhome and start the motor and genny.

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

Fleet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Use your computer search engine and call up a product called "Critter Out" - It is the peppermint oil or some other compound that the mice do not like. A company in New Jersey sells it, approximately $32,00 for a gallon delivered across the country. Shipping to Orwigsburg should be a bit less than what it cost to ship to WA state. (FWIW, my Great, Great, Greats on my Dad's side were some of the original settlers there and are buried in the cemetery on the right as you head east out of town toward New Ringold)
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H
Toad, '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue OX, Aventa
US Gear UBS

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
We tried dryer sheets, peppermint oil, mothballs, electronic repellants and nothing was successful in keeping the critters out. I finally built a barrier using aluminum flashing similar to what "More To See" described above, except instead of surrounding the tires and jacks, I surround the entire MOHO. I have a removable gate to get the RV in/out and have been rodent free for about 7 years now.

Also, as noted above keeping the mice out of the inside of the rig is only half the job. Before the barrier I had to remove and repair my generator twice on my previous rig due to mouse damage.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Thank goodness, Monaco seals all the holes and passthroughs very thoroughly with expanding foam.
I do put bounce sheets and sticky traps in the basement compartments and kitchen cabinets. So far this winter 1 mouse on a sticky trap in a small basement compartment that had a flip up outside door and was heated.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

Pass42
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, Great Stuff, the expanding insulation foam aerosol now makes a formula that contains a pest repellent....this past fall I sealed all of the holes in my MH (that I found or could see) with it.......we'll see if it works or is chewed thru.......
2017 Montana High Country 375FL
2015 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty, Cummins 6.7, factory tow package, factory snow plow prep package

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I use a ultrasonic device and I pulled out every drawer etc. and filled every cubby in the coach that they use as a passage way with very coarse steel wool.