cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How Hard Is It To Solo In A Class A?

Jedidad
Explorer
Explorer
So I've been primarily looking at Class Cs under 26 feet mainly for the ease of driving and parking. But, I'll be full timing for a couple of years (or more) and the thought of having more living space and storage space appeals to me.

However, I'll be solo and am concerned about parking and backing by myself. The largest vehicle I've driven and backed was big Ryder box trucks but I always had someone to assist in guiding. Of course, there were no backup cameras.

Anybody here solo? Any issues? (I guess not if you're still doing it, right?)

Thanks.
43 REPLIES 43

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
I use the red cones (6) to help guide my way. Works perfectly for me. My spouse just relaxes on the side-lines.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Finally_Time
Explorer
Explorer
If an ol' lady like me can solo in a class a, so can you. Handling just takes some practice. To stay centered in my lane I follow the bus driver's trick of putting my right foot (on he accelerator) in the middle of the lane; the coach is then "magically" centered in the lane. Backing is just a matter of practicing. I first get out and survey the site checking for clearance for the slideouts, any overhead obstructions, placement of hookups, then decide where to position the coach to start backing. I use both mirrors to see where the back corners are going. If things are not going well, I'll pull out and start over.

I occasionally caravan with a couple of friends. It takes me a little longer to set up and to get ready to leave. It would be nice to have some help, but it's not that big of a deal.
'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Planning (timing) is everything. I have a back up camera. And, I've found that if you arrive at a reasonable hour, you are polite, and, you don't look like a serial killer, usually there's somebody around who is more than willing to be your second set of eyes. Not always, but RV people are usually pretty helpful with things like parking. (backing) If they aren't, you may want to question why you are staying where you are.

Chum lee

mmccray100
Explorer
Explorer
I've been solo with a Class A for 5 years. Most RV parks have pull-thru spaces for someone to assist you with back-in spaces.

The few times I've had to back up unassisted, I followed the GOAL rule... Get Out And Look, as many times as needed to assure you'er where you want to be and there are no obstructions, high or low.

Mike

WAFlowers
Explorer
Explorer
The only time I have any challenge backing up my RV solo is in the dark with no overhead lights during a heavy rainstorm.
Bill and Willemina Flowers
George, Sammy and Teddy (the dogpack)
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2005 Keystone Monata 3400rl (5/21/11 to 9/9/17)
(Was in a 2000 Coachmen Catalina Sport 220RK)

dennis1
Explorer
Explorer
When I was driving there was a rule that I was taught. Itโ€™s was โ€œGOALโ€.
GET. OUT. AND LOOK.
My new DRW and camper on the truck the first time.

TCollins
Explorer
Explorer
Semi drivers, straight truck drivers, bus drivers all do it solo and some of them can just about thread a needle backing up.

I am not solo but would prefer to do my backing solo. DW has a whole set of gestures that make no sense to me. The best time was when she was guiding me in while the campground host was also guiding me. I almost ended up sideways in the spot. Waited for the host to leave, sent DW off to do something else and redid the job myself.

Go to a deserted parking lot, set up some cones and practice backing using your mirrors. I use the rear view camera to make sure I don't back over anything directly behind the motorhome.

You could also just stick to drive through sites.

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
I do plenty of RVing with my wife and solo too. Most of our weekend camping trips I'll take the coach & she'll meet me at a CG or state park. I prefer to check in, back in, hook up, slides out, level, turn seats around, etc., etc. by myself & have her show up when I'm done.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

WAFlowers
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of mine is a solo woman full-timing in a 40' Tiffin Phaeton. No problem!
Bill and Willemina Flowers
George, Sammy and Teddy (the dogpack)
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2005 Keystone Monata 3400rl (5/21/11 to 9/9/17)
(Was in a 2000 Coachmen Catalina Sport 220RK)

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Jedidad wrote:
oldave wrote:
I think the whole park assembled with their chairs to watch the show...

Yeah, I have visions me being included in one of those "boat ramp follies" type videos on YouTube. LOL.

I should add that in 40 yrs of off & on RVing that only happened
twice. The second time everyone came to help , I was getting
different directions from everyone . It turned into a party and
we made it into our spot to everyone's applause .
Really it wasn't a bad experience , broke the ice anyway .
Worrying about running into these situations was much worse
than the actual experience .
Even so remember that it doesn't matter if they watch , few of
them could do any better . I keep telling myself that anyway .
Since those days I have actually left parks where I wasn't happy
with the spot .
The nice thing about a self contained is if necessary you can
find a Walmart , truck stop , Home depot or somewhere to bed down .

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Louandsal wrote:
I am a solo driver also of a 41ft Class A motorhome. I have found the easiest way for me to back into a site is to use orange cones. I put 2 on each side and one at the back of the site. The cones are much easier to see in your cameras and mirrors. Takes the guess work out of backing in.

I do much the same thing but with thick white rope, it can be easily bent into curves (like you would back up) and really stand out in the camera looking down at it. It sure makes backing up in tight quarters super easy.

It also doubles as a great long leash for Deputy Dog if need be.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I to have been the "show". backing my 32ft trailer into my own driveway with my 40ft DP. After years of doing it most of the time I now back it right in even in the dark. I am usually by myself with the race car and don't remember any problems to speak of. Don't be afraid to get out and look and move slow, pull up if you need to and take your time. After while its just like driving a car but bigger. Good luck

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
There are only two things I would add to the thread, no one has mentioned look ing up for overhead obstructions and bumper mounted backup alarms are very inexpensive and easy to install.

The most difficult part of installing the alarm in most cases is removing the plastic bumper cover and putting it back on. The kits come with a cable for the speaker/ proximity lights, usually one small piece that can be hidden under the dash or elsewhere if you wish. There is only one electrical connection for tapping into the backup lights. Search ebay for "Backup Alarms".

There are systems with as many as 8 sensors which I plan on installing on my rig. If you happen to end up with a 102 inch house, it would give corner coverage as well as straight back. You do not need to install all of the sensors.

When we get a new vehicle, I will back up at the curb in front of the house. I listen for the first tone and go look for approximate distance to the car behind me, I also look at the backup monitor. Then I back up until the alarm gives a solid tone and go look again. I have found that the first alarm comes at about 3 feet and the solid sound comes at about 1 foot.

The alarm and backup camera are aids and using cones for alignment is just plain old common sense. Hope this helps.

ebay page
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Jedidad
Explorer
Explorer
oldave wrote:
I think the whole park assembled with their chairs to watch the show...

Yeah, I have visions me being included in one of those "boat ramp follies" type videos on YouTube. LOL.

I appreciate all the replies here. Thanks.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
NO reason you can't put a back up camera on a ____ (Class A B C Pick up conversion. Passanger car. Bicycle.. ok perhaps not a bicycle (Yes you can but why). Addis Footmobile (Same comment as bicycle) They make after market back up cameras that are part of a license plate frame or well You could wear one and heave "eyes in the back of your head" if you wished they are that common.

I solo in a 38' Class A.. not by choice but turns out it's often easier to back into a site when I do a back in than it was when I had wife helping.. But then the wife was not that good at helping She's a city girl and a Foreward Only Driver.. I'm a country boy used to backing trailers by myself. This class A is.. Easy.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times