cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-10 Not again

Sez_Hoo_
Explorer
Explorer
Well its that time of year. My DW and I are starting our trip east again. We come out to Lancaster CA to manage a pumpkin patch and Christmas Tree lot for Seasonal Adventures. To stay out of the cold snowy weather I-10 is the route we take back to Georgia. I despise the stretch of road across Texas. It seems to go on forever. It takes us almost 2 1/2 days to cross Texas. I might try taking a few good doses of Zquil and let the DW do the driving. :Z
Steven
USCG EMC Ret.
Lilly Pi
1998 Country Coach Intrigue
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
47 REPLIES 47

kokois1
Explorer
Explorer
mrhibs wrote:
Having lived in Texas all my life I look at it this way. No matter where I am going when I get out of Texas I am almost there.

That's too funny! Thanks, you gave DW and I a chuckle this morning!
Steve and LuAnne
2010 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 33U
Ford V10 Power Platform
Golden Retriever: KoKo

Explorer II
Explorer II
I drive from Galveston to Raton NM (900 miles) in a single day at least twice a year and enjoy every mile. However it's in a sports car.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
My solution would be to create new states so none are larger than 100 miles across.

That way, none of us would have to suffer such long drives.

And, it would reduce the need to complain.

Too bad our Founding Fathers were so inconsiderate and shortsighted.

๐Ÿ™‚

debandi
Explorer
Explorer
Don't matter how long the drive is its the scenery out of the windshield that makes me happy. In some states it may not change much but in Texas I've never been unhappy with what I see. In west Texas we enjoy racing the tumble weed herds down the road.
John Spear RMCS(SW)USN RET '88
Debra is my 'nagagator'! She tells me where to go.
Enjoying our 2006 Roadtrek Adventurs RS

booty51
Explorer
Explorer
"Hello Texas sure is good to see you again,Hello Texas sure is good to see me a friend"

Sit back and enjoy the drive, I am sure there are worse places to be . I thought all you rv travlers were about kickin' back and enjoying the trip! I know Iam no matter what direction I am going.

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
Sea Dog wrote:
I have never heard such moaning and groaning.
Lucky thing that some of you who have to endure
driving seventy miles per hour in an air-conditioned coach
did not have to spend months riding in a wagon, or walking
which was the norm, not very long ago!

X1,000,000

Sea_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
I have never heard such moaning and groaning.
Lucky thing that some of you who have to endure
driving seventy miles per hour in an air-conditioned coach
did not have to spend months riding in a wagon, or walking
which was the norm, not very long ago!
Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.

fltrker
Explorer
Explorer
You are not driving fast enough. Everyone knows You need to drive well over the speed limit just to get out of Texas.

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, I lived in Texas in the 70's & 80's, left in 92. I have driven it every which way. Today our winter trips from Denver to San Diego are the most beautiful drives vs Texas. Will be leaving Saturday! Merry Christmas to all!!!
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
In a car...I can manage Texarkana to El Paso in one day. In the bus...probably a day and a half.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Passin Thru wrote:
I perceive " To stay out of the cold snowy weather I-10 is the route we take back to Georgia. I despise the stretch of road across Texas. It seems to go on forever. It takes us almost 2 1/2 days to cross Texas. I might try taking a few good doses of Zquil and let the DW do the driving" the same as "Are we there yet?" Pure unadultered whining!

It's extremely easy, to drift over 85 and then some, on Texan and New Mexican Interstates and other routes. So straight and so flat and everyone is passing you. Don't look ,at the speedo and you think you are coming to a stop. Pick out a landmark and focus on it but it never gets closer. Like the San Frnacisco range in Arizona. You can see it at least a hundred miles away. They should have aimed the road a bit better. You could aim ,at it and tie the steering wheel down, set the cruise and take a four or five hour snooze. Maybe adapt the GPS steering from a John Deere.

G_Lewis
Explorer
Explorer
IH10 from west to east is not that bad. Anthony, TX is mile marker 1 and the rest stop at the TX/LA line is MM 880...a fun trip....ha ha
George Lewis
Boerne, TX
'99 Fleetwood Bounder 34J
Ford V10

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I perceive " To stay out of the cold snowy weather I-10 is the route we take back to Georgia. I despise the stretch of road across Texas. It seems to go on forever. It takes us almost 2 1/2 days to cross Texas. I might try taking a few good doses of Zquil and let the DW do the driving" the same as "Are we there yet?" Pure unadultered whining!

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Quit whining. Drove truck across there and could do it with my eyes closed, you only go once a year. Think of every week. Try enjoying it or, go to Las Cruces, E to Hobbs and across to Anson and that way.
MY last runs are Balt-SEA-CHI-Lafayette IN-SEA-CHI-BALT. Thats 2500 up, 2063+2063+2500 and home in 3 weeks. A Peterbilt for as big as they are get smaller every day and you finally get cabin fever driving.